West Ham v Everton. Saturday 22 April, 3.00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what did Barry contribute to help out Ross then?
Apart from getting another booking he is too slow now been a good un we have players in the under 23s on the bench in the future till the end of the season to see how they can cope at least they have legs that run!
Walsh, Dowling there's two good prospects!

I am not saying it worked I am saying something needed changing and Davies and Gana were the likely ones. It was needed but in hind sight it never worked but it wasn't working with Davies or Gana either. The attempt to change things around was made in a positive way.

If they'd had Caroll available we'd have been beaten for sure. Terrible passing all day long and no shots on target.
Inexcusable to have no shots on target if you ask me...

Didn't watch the game due to work, glad I didn't mind, but a draw with west ham is underwhelming to say the least.

The away form needs serious work, if it improves next season and we continue our glorious home form then Everton will do very well.

Didn't watch the game due to work, glad I didn't mind, but a draw with west ham is underwhelming to say the least.

The away form needs serious work, if it improves next season and we continue our glorious home form then Everton will do very well.
As I said above, it hasn't been disastrous away form - 4 wins and 7 draws - but the performances away from home have been timid and lacking in any determination to grab all three points. We drew with two of the bottom three teams away when the win was there for the taking.

One of them games....quiet in the ground, fans miles away from the action, felt kinda weird being there.

We didn't do much, may have expected West Ham to come on to us more....they didn't. Game interrupted by loads of knocks and treatments. We had no rythum and couldn't get going, passes went astray, we over hit simple balls and looked to nullify what amounted to nothing from the not so happy hammers.

If we have aspirations to have a higher position in the league, its games like this, Stoke, Watford, Bournemouth, Hull where we have to do a lot more than just turn up. Bang average against a bang average side. Special shout to Jags', top block. Nothing else to say.

We didn't win because we don't have an outball at the very top, meaning we are too often easily nullified if a side decides to shut up shop.

Today was exactly why Lukaku would be a flop at a giant club, because they play those games every week and rely on movement from the entire attacking unit to break teams down. We can't reliably play off Lukaku, meaning we can't reliably pick up form and thus consistent results.

It is also why we need to re-evaluate the approach to our squad in the summer, bring in a more technically gifted footballer with the brains to move and receive a ball and pull defenders out of position, because if we want to compete at the upper levels we need far more than just a goalscorer in that role.

If we keep Lukaku, fine, but we need that high quality plan B as a matter of urgency.

Most tactically aware post of the day. Watch any of the 'top' strikers, except Lukaku, and the key to their consistency is movement. They are always AWARE of whats going on around them.(Kanes headed goal today...a great 'pick' by the striker and very quick decision making.) Even at 34, in a bad team, Defoe is always looking for a strike. Lukaku for me will always get tap ins and goals relying on strength, and he's worth top -ish money for that alone, but his contribution to team effort is abysmal compared with other 'top' strikers.
...but of course while he's scoring he's quite rightly untouchable. Mourhino would get annoyed by Lukaku, he would be in and out of a Citeh team,and he would think to slowly for an Arsenal team who were on their game.

Wot? With a £100m striker leading the line .......... I'm appalled. Appalled I tell you.

I am filled with regret and guilt that I have wasted two precious hours on that organic mound of decaying manure.
Hells bells but that was bad, and given that it is in line with all the other away performances, Ron Ron has got one hell of a job trying to get THAT team challenge any of the top six. He needs a new back five, a new striker, no 10, and winger. He also needs to get them to play to a blueprint. We were as flat as a pancake today, no semblance that this was a team with a structure.
Rom now is only interested in adding to his goals, and has delegated the more menial tasks of playing centre forward to his imaginary friend.
Gana, he was so bad I am convinced he has been tapped up and is out the door (Arsenal is my bet), we've seen how good this lad is, and form does not just fall off a cliff like that unless something is going on.

Back end of the season, the hammers are skirting just above relegation desperate to get their 40pts. They done a job on us today. Bad day at the office and come away with point. Not ideal but there we are, Premiership football, no easy games.

Status
Not open for further replies.