We could finish anywhere from 7th - 18th: Europa a no-no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Big Fat Sam

Hello,

We genuinely now have a chance of being “best of the rest” again, and if the cards align, as we would usually want them to, 7th place may just be enough to sneak a Europa League position this season.

That doesn’t mean we’re safe from relegation, as another poor run of form could see us sucked back down in the mix, but we’ve got breathing space and the teams above us – Leicester and Burnley – have hopefully had their purple patch now.

The thing is, do we want Europa League? It might sound silly because that’s what it’s all about, isn’t it? Those magical away days following the Blues. But we’ve seen what it did to the squad this year on account of so many players coming in and not having a settled or good enough squad to attack on all fronts.

I’m pretty certain we’ll have a large turnover of players in the summer, with the likes of Williams, Jagielka, Besic, Mirallas, Stekelenberg, Niasse, Martina, Klaassen, Sandro having a more than realistic chance of leaving us on permanent deals. We also have big gaps to plug in the starting xi, with a centre back potentially needing to be added if the manager, whoever he may be, deciding that Mori/Managala/Holgate/Keane aren’t good enough to be our centre back options, a new left back needed, a creative midfielder and possibly a new winger and striker.

It’s naïve to think so much turnover would let us sail smoothly into a super early pre-season and 30 competitive games before Christmas, so I think that a domestic-only season would be of benefit to us next time round.

What you think?

I can almost taste it...

500_F_165857158_yPQirIue7hR3Vfno7jv7nQNqyQAMsb6h.jpg

I definitely want Europa again, we owe it to ourselves to try and rescue what was an absolutely diabolical European campaign from ourselves and we broke records for English teams for all the wrong reasons. I really hope if we somehow manage to salvage it we can have a proper go at it next season under a new manager with a settled team.

What a hilarious indictment of the state of the Premier League that Everton - who have been utterly appalling - could make European football.

one win means nothing right now. Give it 2 months and see if we managed to maintain something or still proved to be inconsistent.

If we were to finish 7th this season then it would be a good example of how terrible this season has been for most clubs.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves eh?

I do wonder how much that early start affected us this season

I love European aways, so I'm not going to moan if I get teh opportunity to do more, but I wonder if we might be better off not qualifying this season

7th is a possibility, but equally if/when Arsenal snot us on Saturday, we'll be looking over our shoulders again

Leicester will slump now that Mahrez wants out and made it public, Burnley will hit 40 points and start to give in. We won't be allowed to stroll to the end of the season, because our fans are already pissed off. 7th is definitely possible. Walcott and Coleman down the right could be deadly against the rubbish of the league.

Even if we do get 7th, though, Fat Sam needs punting out of the club immediately after West Ham away.

If we'd have got beat last night we'd have been 4 points off 17th position. Please don't take our current predicament for granted, even after last night's victory.
We never got beat though did we and if we did there would of still been 9 piss poor teams between us and the relegation zone. Over half of The league is littered with terrible sides we just happen to be the best of shitty teams in the league, hence why we’re not in a relegation battle.

Ok...

I will never ever turn my nose up at a European tour - some of my best times supporting Everton have been on European trips.

However... right now the thought of a Europa campaign terrifies me, 1) due to Sam Allardyce, and 2) the sheer imbalance of the squad and personal we have.

Starting the season as early as we did this season, not letting players bed in and being general knobs in the transfer market means I think we need to do without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.