We can lead the way in fighting racism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't say we're a stereotypically white club?
I'd say we've moved on from the dark days of the past, you're more likely to see white fans given that proportionally the country has more white European people, not because of the club name....

I also think we're quite good for maintaining tolerance, even a bit too good considering we banned a fan for calling Saha a lazy french turd
Disregarding whether that specific instance was an over reaction or not, self policing is going to be the key to getting rid of racism at football grounds.
I feel there is going to be a period coming up where clubs and countries start reporting each other in order to deflect the blame from themselves, but the real inroads will be when clubs publicly and loudly start banning their own fans (and players) for racism rather than making excuses for them

Do a census, take pictures, whatever - I'm being honest.

I genuinely can't remember the last time I saw someone who wasn't white near me in the ground or in the concourse.

Liverpool attract a lot of ethnic support.

I hope we can eradicate irrational thinking from our society such as racism and religion. It's long overdue for a species that calls itself 'civilized'.

I learned a snippet on the radio the other day stating that a man is genetically closer to a chimpanzee than he is a woman (and vise versa obviously). There we are closer to another animal than we are our opposite sex, yet some keep banging on thinking that skin colour makes a difference.

We should judge people only upon the choices they make, not where they are born or where their parents may have come from.

Having said all this, I would have little patience with a neighbour who came into my house as a guest and started insisting I do everything according to his or her tradition. That would leave me irritated not against their tradition and culture, but against the individual who made the choice to impose them on me.

Born, brought up, and still in Liverpool, I'm the son of Indian parents who moved over in the 70s to the city. At the time, our parents' generation experienced some difficult times with prejudice, patronising behaviour but mainly amazing warmth, kindness and openness - some of the things that make the city great. While it was kind of 'easy' and 'obvious' to support Liverpool in the 70s and early 80s (don't ask me why) I somehow got caught up in the wrong group of friends and went blue! best decision of my life - well, character building anyway as I was too young to really enjoy the success of the 80s and at the time when I was enjoying football the most we had Walter Smith, Howard Kendall III, Mike Walker etc...

It's difficult to explain and I hope you understand this - going to football matches at that time was a scary experience, and ethnic minority families were afraid of having their children go to games, where there was a reputation for violence, racism and of course 'Everton are white' stereotypes. I still supported everton but was not allowed to go to matches. If you have ever been in this situation, or even if you can understand this - immigrant families worked harder to stay safe and protect jobs, build networks of friends and families and tried to create a community around them. Going to Goodison was out of the question because of stories, reputation, fear, especially when Liverpool had a reputation for crime and violence overseas. (They still moved here, but tried to stay in a comfort zone)

Even today, as an adult and dad myself, I find it challenging to go to matches, as I don't see many coloured faces around the ground. I know our people are not racist, but it's still intimidating. I know that if I'm wearing an Everton shirt, nobody cares about the colour of my skin But still, when I talk to friends and family who are not blues, and not from Liverpool, I get the feeling people still have a prejudice and stereotype view of Everton that we are a local, insular, 'white' club and don't have any space for international fans, ethnic minorities and immigrants.

As a friendly club, with a fantastic charity, great reputation as a 'people's club' and 'family club' we have to do something about this. How can we make the club more approachable, more accessible, totally disassociated with violence, aggression, intimidation, racism while still being a great powerful stadium and home ground that is intimidating for opposition teams? We can find a balance where we are totally behind our club, have amazing 'walls of blue', or great songs and chants that ring around the stadium, amazing noise like in the derby, but don't abuse and intimidate opposition players and fans. I know there have been no racist incidents, but hopefully you get where I'm coming from.

Whether we like it or not, the way of the EPL now is to be international, have a powerful brand and an attractive offer for new fans. We need to show ourselves to be different from the top clubs and not just buy our way to success, but build the club up from within, with strong roots. There's definitely a lot to be said in being the plucky outsider, the club punching above its weight, the honest, authentic club - all cliches that can help us to attract more fans, sponsorship, attention in the media and make us grow.

I hope that we can also start initiatives and embrace the anti racism movement, with some symbolic gestures, with some programmes for people of all backgrounds, and mostly, for being honest that we are treating everyone the same, whatever their skin colour, language accent, etc. I don't know what the answer is, but I'm sure there are other people like me who would love to go to matches, but used to stay away.

I'm happy to argue this out, and be told I'm wrong, but because we are so good at so many things, we need to be good at one of the major problems of our time.

Great post mate.

Only my opinion, but the signing and subsequent impact of Kevin Campbell moved us forward light years with regards to ridding the club of it`s " Everton are white " tag. He certainly opened the door for the signing of a lot of non white players and as such saw more non white people attending the match too.

Have you thought about getting in touch with the club and maybe suggesting that they run an initiative in schools in the L8 / L15 areas, where the majority of the kids from ethnic backgrounds go ?

One thing that the club is very good at is all the community based stuff and something like this could be right up their street.

I would like to think that racism doesn't exist in goodison any more, both directed at other fans and players.

Unfortunately, like most clubs and society in general, racists still exist and they need to be consigned to the bin.

Education is a way forward, maybe Everton should spend some of the time helping the community educating people on racism etc.

Went to the Newcastle game the other week and to be honest I was surprised that I saw a few 20-30 black males. It was good to see. Wembley games a few years ago along Wembley way saw a few different Asian males with the children in Everton shirts. If your an Evertonian makes no difference to me what colour or creed you are

Do a census, take pictures, whatever - I'm being honest.

I genuinely can't remember the last time I saw someone who wasn't white near me in the ground or in the concourse.

Liverpool attract a lot of ethnic support.

Im with Phil here.

There used to be black fella who sat on my row in the GSE, but sadly I heard he died, lovely fella, then theres a black lady who sits in front of me, but as Phil says, other than these I dont honestly recall seeing many over the years.

I mean im not surprised really considering the amount of racism that sails over my head most matchdays.

Substantial numbers of (I assume) Koreans sit by us in the MS2, (I assume, probably incorrectly, that they are associated with Chang somehow?) anyway, there is also an Indian guy who brings his two young lads, and of course we have a few Asian stewards (one is even a female lady type person, so she scores highly on the diversity chart). so I guess we are not exclusively white, but I do often look around the seats by me and note how old our fan base is (and of course largely white). Mind you, when I was growing up, none of the black or Indian lads at our school were interested in footy, they were all big Cricket fans! So they would never have thought to bring their kids to a match I suppose?

Great post mate.

Only my opinion, but the signing and subsequent impact of Kevin Campbell moved us forward light years with regards to ridding the club of it`s " Everton are white " tag. He certainly opened the door for the signing of a lot of non white players and as such saw more non white people attending the match too.

Have you thought about getting in touch with the club and maybe suggesting that they run an initiative in schools in the L8 / L15 areas, where the majority of the kids from ethnic backgrounds go ?

One thing that the club is very good at is all the community based stuff and something like this could be right up their street.
Bang on about super Kev there mate, he became a massive hero figure for keeping us up, and then secured his status by being a top, top lad ever since!

Status
Not open for further replies.