Status
Not open for further replies.

Rook

Player Valuation: £80m
From football365.com

COPPELL BLASTS `TERROR` CLATTENBURG
Posted 29/03/08 18:30
EmailPrintSave

Reading manager Steve Coppell accused referee Mark Clattenburg of a Jekyll-and-Hyde performance in the goalless draw with Blackburn.

Reading midfielder Marek Matejovsky was sent off after being shown two yellow cards in the space of 11 second-half minutes.

Coppell claimed Blackburn captain Ryan Nelsen benefited from a more lenient first-half refereeing approach to avoid being sent off.

Clattenburg brandished nine yellow cards and a red in a game which rarely moved into third gear until Matejovsky's controversial departure.

"We had two different referees. In the first half he was laid back and let things go. In the second half he was a terror," said Coppell.

Matejovsky was booked for a late tackle on David Dunn and then an innocuous block on Jason Roberts - but Coppell argued Nelsen got away with similar challenges.

The New Zealand international was booked for a clash with Reading keeper Marcus Hahnemann but only received a lecture for dragging down Kevin Doyle.

"For a top referee it was inconsistent. In the second half, the referee was Mr Hyde. The imbalance in the way the game was refereed affected the game," Coppell added.

"Nelsen should have been sent off after 20 minutes - he would have been sent off in the second half.

"In the first half the football matched the (wet) weather. In the second half it got a bit fiery but that was not the doing of the players."

Hahnemann kept Reading in the game with a brilliant save from a Roque Santa Cruz header but Coppell insists the Paraguayan was one of five Blackburn players offside at the free-kick.

"There would have been a minor revolt if they had scored on that free-kick," said Coppell.

Reading could still have won it after being reduced to 10 men but Stephen Hunt and then Andre Bikey both missed golden opportunities.

Blackburn manager Mark Hughes also felt the game did not warrant the flurry of yellow cards shown by Clattenburg.

"I didn't think the game merited that amount of cards," said Hughes.

"As players and managers you review your performance and things that need to be addressed at half-time. Maybe that is what Mr Clattenburg did.

"I am sure Steve felt hard done by with the sending-off. There wasn't that much emotion shown in the game by either team.

"It was a flat performance by both teams."

Hughes put his own side's disappointing display down to their midweek international exertions.

"There was not a great deal of energy and spark in our play and the performance petered out somewhat.

"We didn't take advantage of the last 20 minutes with the extra guy."

With Blackburn now seven points from fifth place, Hughes' immediate target is to finish above Manchester City and Aston Villa in order to qualify for the Intertoto Cup this summer.

"A number of the results have been OK for us today. Teams in and around us have been beaten and we have gained a point," said Hughes.

"Fifth place is probably beyond us. We feel we need to be above City and Villa if we are going to get in via the Intertoto. My understanding is that Portsmouth haven't applied."

Both managers in agreement that Clattenberg is [Poor language removed]. Class.

ET202.jpg

Reminded me of the Newcastle match when all of our players rushed out to leave several of their guys offside. The linesman didn't give it and they scored. Surprised any manager still tries it after that.

Good man is Steve Coppell, went to the same school I used to go to. But he's [Poor language removed] right, the referee's lately have been piss poor, I just hope I'm not saying this come this evening.

Reminded me of the Newcastle match when all of our players rushed out to leave several of their guys offside. The linesman didn't give it and they scored. Surprised any manager still tries it after that.

That was one of the worst offside decisions i had seen. Then i saw the decision against us against blackburn this season lol

Status
Not open for further replies.