Watford v Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton welcome back Andy Johnson for their match against Watford.

AJ missed the midweek defeat to Spurs with a knee problem but is now fit to return and takes the place of Victor Anichebe, who drops to the bench.

Tim Cahill is back from suspension and replaces Leon Osman who had been a doubt for the game. Gary Naysmith is in for Alan Stubbs.

That change means Joleon Lescott moves to central defence, where he partners Joseph Yobo.

Phil Neville is at right back and the midfield includes Mikel Arteta, Manuel Fernandes, Lee Carsley and Cahill.

Johnson is joined in attack by James Beattie, with Richard Wright, Tony Hibbert, Victor Anichebe, Leon Osman and James Vaughan.

COYBB

-------------------------* Tim Howard

* Phil Neville (c) * Joseph Yobo * Joleon Lescott * Gary Naysmith

* Manuel Fernandes * Lee Carsley * Tim Cahill * Mikel Arteta

---------------* Andrew Johnson * James Beattie

Interesting, no foster for watford that is a big loss to them, lets make a good start and steam roller these!

We have played some nice composed football clinically taking Watford apart. Unfortunately BT is contributing nothing other than the ability to miss open goals. It is the work of AJ up front and Mikel and Fernandes in midfield that has paved the way for this lead.

It is pleasing to report that Fernandes has opened his account by toe poking in the first goal. Sky commentators should be shot at dawn, what was a clear cut penalty is being talked up to a 'AJ is a diver' again. The lad was sandwiched and bungled over in the box, end of argument.

Hopefully DM has learned his lesson from Wednesday night and in fairness has our two best attackers on the field of play. Shoots at goal tally speaks for itself, 9 to us a 2 to them.

We should now go on and win this one with ease. Watford are very workman like team but have little or no finess.:shock:

Poor second half, good result.

If Cahill played half as good as normal, I think we would have won 4,5 maybe 6-0. He was non existent today and only came alive when the ball was within 5 yards of him.

But job well done.

COYBB

Good performance, not happy at the second half result, it was abit negative and inviting the pressure.

But a good result, above Pompey (skate shits) and one point away from reading.

MANNY!!!!

both cahill and beattie missed 'absolute stone wall sitters'

we won, kept a clean sheet, reading lost, and we are up to seventh.

manny was excellent today, but again tired, cahill needs sharpness, nevs did a decent job at right back and supporting.

3 points and the horror of the spurs game behind us. 2 defeats in the last 10 games. not bad.

Good to see Moyes has listened and played an attacking line up. Probably would have played 451 if we'd have drawn or beaten Spurs.

Anyway, well done, and Ossie scores another cracker!

Very nice win, second half Watford re-organised and like any team should do, battled that bit harder. Fernandes was more at home with his team mates, AJ was electric, Tim is still a little off the pace and Mikel did what Mikel does.

I feel sorry for Moyes, [Poor language removed] if you don't and [Poor language removed] if you do. The team he put out today was motivated, played positive football but would have got hammered at the Emirates or Old Trafford. It is horses for courses. I was particularly fascinated to hear DM say after the game that AJ has not trained for two weeks, at least he'll be able to catch up in March, we've only got two games.

Spurs nightmare should not be forgotten, if it is then we fail on that learning curve. Cheer up and relish Ossies cracking goal, should bring a smile to all our faces. For all you doubters, see those bluenoses cheering at the end, that is what we are about, take the rough with the smooth but enjoy the ride.

COYB;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

a 3 0 away win got to be happy with that. Thought fernandes looked quality and the back four were solid, even naysmith!! Good to see moyes using vaughan aswell and i rekon it must be time he gets a start soon, because it just isn't happening for beattie, and we look so much beta playing the ball on the ground anyway. i rekon cahill wasn't to bad aswell, however he does look really really slow. Good display boys

Bet placed by Amount staked Odds Amount won
SuitsBlue -------------950 ---------5/4 ----(1.25) 1187
Danny ------------------500 ------------5/4 -(1.25) 625
Welton Toffee -----------500 -------------5/4 -(1.25) 625
Royal Blue Jersey -----400 ---------5/4 ----(1.25) --500
Dylan -------------------250 ------------5/4 --(1.25) 312
Cal --------------------200 --------5/4 ----(1.25) -250
SuitsBlue --------------7 ---------5/4 -----(1.25) --8
SuitsBlue --------------3 ---------5/4 -----(1.25) ---3

My caution has been rewarded. I knew we'd come up trumps here. And again boys, the most vital aspect remained - the clean sheet. It's imperative we build up right from the back. Phil Neville had a good game - he hardly touched the ball which is great for us - AJ drove the team forward, BT embarrassed himself as usual, Timmy linked up with Arteta & Johnno (a great backheel to set up Arteta the best example) but still looks off.
Carsley played superb, as did the centrebacks and goalkeeper. Lescott was his usual commanding self, but I'd have to say the man of the match was a joint effort between the baldies AJ and Carsley. AJ was a much needed catalyst, one that was sorely missed against Spurs.

And Leon Osman. I was angry but like I said pre-match, keep the faith because his form will return. The goal will do his confidence no end of good, it was a brilliant, looping goal, not dissimilar from Lumplard's agaisnt us at GP.
Perfect result. 3 in the bag, Manny's first goal, AJ's 10th, a brilliant clean sheet and most importantly - 3 points!

I thought Beattie played ok. Led the line well, was involved in two of the goals. I don't think he was as bad as some make out.

Where was Cahill second half though? He went missing. I hope he gets sharper, he's looking a shadow of his former self at present.

As I watched the game, especially during the second half I was disgusted. After watching the game a second time, although we had the minority of the possesion, we never really let them play their game the way they wanted too. They may have had some 'meaningful' attacks, but we dealt with almost everything, and when we didn't thier blunt edge took care of it for us.

Howard made some good saves, Neville gave the ball away when he got it, Arteta was quiet (for himself), as was Cahill. AJ gave a good account. I am glad Osman got that great goal, because I have been pissed with him recently.

The one who I would give a special mention for is Fernandes. He really does look good. He is still coming up to par with the fitness levels Moyes likes, but he is comfortable on the ball, passes well, not afraid to have a shot and made some great tackles he shouldn't have got. I would be very pleased if we got him. Moyes even went so far as to mention that if he keeps this up, we will make it permanent ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.