Match Thread Watford v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m amazed we’ve just beat Chelsea at home, Leicester away, and now drawn to Watford away. That’s 7 out of 9 points. The way we were playing I never thought it possible.

If Everton win 1 of our last 3,

And Leeds lose 1 of their last 2,

Then we stay up.

but if leeds get 4 points or 6 we need more

it’s taking the p all this

Best I can make of it is that Frank knew the team was gassed after the last two performances and also knew that historically the Keane - Holgate pairing is a recipe for disaster - especially away from Goodison, so he mostly just set up to make sure that at least we didn't lose. Why 5 at the back against this horrid Watford team otherwise?

I wish Frank would have been much more aggressive with the line-up, or at least changed things up at half-time - even with the same subs he did end up making, just much, much earlier. I think that might have been enough.

Also think the players looked at Burnley's and Leed's next fixtures and figured there was no way they were going to win against Tottenham and Chelsea respectively. Probably figured a point here would be enough for now and the crowd at Goodison would help us finish it off in the next two. But man, that's a super risky way of thinking. God I hope it pans out.

Leeds still have to play Brentford. We beat 1 of them. We are in this position cos we crap, 2 wins doesn’t change that. We still got Keane and Coleman and no midfield
We aren’t as crap as Watford. We certainly aren’t as crap as Watford’s reserves. We had momentum from two big wins, using the same players.

Had we huffed and puffed and just not been good enough, then that’s one thing. We went hunting for a draw though. People still cryarse to this day about our inferiority complex under Moyes and yet this is the mindset Lampard asks us to go and play with in this game. Sickening.

Frank was bitten by the Burnley away performance. We get hammered away when we go to open.

This was his response to the earlier away day capitulations.
Aye. We’re in a better position now than we were a few hours ago, so that is a positive. Leeds now have an even worse goal difference, so again a positive.

Today wasn’t ideal - far from it - but it isn’t a disaster.

Yes, a missed chance but more importantly we didn't lose - confidence is slowly building and a clean sheet for us too.

I'd rather be in our position than either Leeds of Burnley.

We just need to match whatever they do and we stay up.

Leeds look awful and have players dropping like flies. Burnley have had their bounce and are extremely limited.

COYB

I actually dont see Burnley getting another point in their last 3 games. We have the better run in, 2 clear on points and 2 home games. Coyb!!!
I think they might beat the Saudis on the last day but hopefully we will have picked up some more points before then.

If we had Spurs and Villa away our fans would be expecting zero points, but we also naturally expect Burnley to get at least 4!

Whilst that is true, it was clear from very early on that Watford were not interested in a win at all, therefore change your tactics and go for the win, we didn’t! 2 teams with no interest in winning the game at all, one already relegated the other fighting to stay up, the opportunity to bury this [Poor language removed] show of a season was there, and we wouldn’t/couldn’t attempt to finish it

3/4 of our back 4 tonight are still the players that were teeing up opposition strikers all season. Only last weekend two of our defenders gave a goal away by running into each other and letting a high ball bounce.

These are not good players. If we open up we could just as easily lost the game as won it. Lampard went for points, and if Gray or Gordon could finish better or pass better we would have won it. Tactics were alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.