"Watch Classic Matches Again"

Everton v Inter Milan European Cup 1963-4​

533 views Jun 30, 2022 A historic night in Liverpool as Goodison Park hosts the first European Cup tie on Merseyside. Unsurprisingly it's a frenetic game, the tackles fly in and tempers flare occasionally. Both goalkeepers make a couple of good saves and Dennis Stevens clips the top of the bar with a header. Roy Vernon has a late effort disallowed for offside. The game ends goalless, Inter progress with a 1-0 win in Milan and go on to lift the trophy in May.

533 views Jun 30, 2022 A historic night in Liverpool as Goodison Park hosts the first European Cup tie on Merseyside. Unsurprisingly it's a frenetic game, the tackles fly in and tempers flare occasionally. Both goalkeepers make a couple of good saves and Dennis Stevens clips the top of the bar with a header. Roy Vernon has a late effort disallowed for offside. The game ends goalless, Inter progress with a 1-0 win in Milan and go on to lift the trophy in May.

Great find, I didn’t know that existed. Enjoyed that and so unlucky for that team to face a quality side like Inter that early. Funny but that Inter side gets a bad rap as being too defensive and dirty when the footage shows that the Goodson crowd and Everton players fully respected them and their quality. I wonder if this started when legendary moaner Shankly said their game the year after was fixed (when the footage proves all the goals were legit)?

Kay is looking classy there, Gabriel and Stevens perform well too, but it’s geat to see (the original) Luis Suarez in action, a real general on the pitch- then again we are talking ballon dor material there. Inters full backs too (Fachetti and Burgnich) are real quality. Hard lines on Vernon though, the offside looks a very tight call, especially when it was proven so hard to create a chance vs such a strong outfit… and as mentioned very unlucky on the Blues to draw such a class side in the 1st round, when we were probably good enough to go as far as the semis.

Some footage from a Kent local news programme about Gillingham's three FA cup ties against Everton in 1984. We seemed to have a lot of games like this at Goodison in this period (the horrendous 0-0 draws with Coventry and Sunderland over Christmas spring to mind)and you can hear what the crowd thought of it at full time - none of us could have known what was just around the corner! An interview with a young Steve Bruce and also at the end,Gillingham fan,the commentator Brian Moore.

Last edited:
Great find, I didn’t know that existed. Enjoyed that and so unlucky for that team to face a quality side like Inter that early. Funny but that Inter side gets a bad rap as being too defensive and dirty when the footage shows that the Goodson crowd and Everton players fully respected them and their quality. I wonder if this started when legendary moaner Shankly said their game the year after was fixed (when the footage proves all the goals were legit)?

Kay is looking classy there, Gabriel and Stevens perform well too, but it’s geat to see (the original) Luis Suarez in action, a real general on the pitch- then again we are talking ballon dor material there. Inters full backs too (Fachetti and Burgnich) are real quality. Hard lines on Vernon though, the offside looks a very tight call, especially when it was proven so hard to create a chance vs such a strong outfit… and as mentioned very unlucky on the Blues to draw such a class side in the 1st round, when we were probably good enough to go as far as the semis.
Agree with your analysis - Inter had some superb players. I wonder if they had a harder game in the rest of the tournament? (Any Italian blues out there familiar with Inter comments on the games against us?)

Vernon's disallowed strike? I'm biased, but looked a perfectly good goal to me.

Agree with your analysis - Inter had some superb players. I wonder if they had a harder game in the rest of the tournament? (Any Italian blues out there familiar with Inter comments on the games against us?)

Vernon's disallowed strike? I'm biased, but looked a perfectly good goal to me.
Aye…looking at their run they beat an ageing Madrid in the final (but it’s still Madrid with the ultimate European pedigree as they’ve proven time and time again) and Dortmund had a strong side at this time (won the ECWC a couple of years later). So they had a really difficult draw. I’ve seen the full game of their 3-0 demolition of the RS the season after- it’s very impressive, despite what they want to believe.

From the Hearts programme - older readers will remember the short-lived, and not much-loved Texaco Cup - on the tenth anniversary of the Inter game (18 September 1973), a look back at previews of the game against the later:

CCF_020215%20-%20rotated-page-001.jpg

Just watched it - they wasted time from kick off - Westy was great at getting us moving faster - plus had a very good game there -

Just watched it - they wasted time from kick off - Westy was great at getting us moving faster - plus had a very good game there -
Trouble was West's speed of passing wasn't reproduced by the recipients, who tended to go lateral with their passes, thus slowing everything down & negating West's great initial distribution. We had to attack at real speed against a defence of Inter's quality & we didn't (on the available evidence).

A second thought - how much we missed a dominant target man. The "goal" that Vernon had disallowed came from precisely the kind of knock down/lay off we simply didn't produce enough of, as we couldn't get down the wings fast or often enough, and neither of Vernon & the GV were that sort of player.

I'd be fascinated to know what lessons the Catt drew from this experience of Europe's finest.

Trouble was West's speed of passing wasn't reproduced by the recipients, who tended to go lateral with their passes, thus slowing everything down & negating West's great initial distribution. We had to attack at real speed against a defence of Inter's quality & we didn't (on the available evidence).

A second thought - how much we missed a dominant target man. The "goal" that Vernon had disallowed came from precisely the kind of knock down/lay off we simply didn't produce enough of, as we couldn't get down the wings fast or often enough, and neither of Vernon & the GV were that sort of player.

I'd be fascinated to know what lessons the Catt drew from this experience of Europe's finest.
The Catt was anti-European football in his day - he failed so much in Europe he could not get to grips on what you described in your post - he had just seen it as an inconvenience to - his main domestic aims - what shocked me was in 1968 - I read he played weakened sides v average opposition & we dropped points - to aim at winning just the FA CUP - when we could have aimed for the double that year ...

I was puzzled very much by this as him as a Manager at that time when his side were brilliant ... ......

The Catt was anti-European football in his day - he failed so much in Europe he could not get to grips on what you described in your post - he had just seen it as an inconvenience to - his main domestic aims - what shocked me was in 1968 - I read he played weakened sides v average opposition & we dropped points - to aim at winning just the FA CUP - when we could have aimed for the double that year ...

I was puzzled very much by this as him as a Manager at that time when his side were brilliant ... ......
You weren't alone in being perplexed by some of the Catt's decisions & reasoning, Joey!

They looked- and were- the better side and certainly went for the win, while being content with the draw near the end. No shame in that- they certainly attacked more than we did in the 1st leg is our semi final vs Bayern in 85, but that's European knockout football- especially back then- get a draw away, dominate at home. Everton were just unlucky to face them that early. The next time we were in it (70-71), we were seeded, so got that easy 1st round tie.

btw, Brilliant work on finding that Major

We played them 5mths too late, with an off form team carrying injuries and no LB, though Harris deputisd well.
Kay and Parker looked absolute class, Young was on one of his peripheral days.
And I loved the way West gave those 15yd throw outs to people's feet...go on, run at them
And also a word for Denis Stevens he was everywhere.
Gabriel and Vernon weren't fully fit...but still put in a shift.
They were a very good team
iirc, they went on to dominate Europe until the Lions of Lisbon beat them in 1967.
The goal looked good but, Young looked to be the person Offside (but not interfering with play) harsher rules back then.

London / Spurs centric Wolstenholme was damning us with faint praise all the game.

Last edited: