"Watch Classic Matches Again"

Pre match build up and full Match of the Day highlights of the 1985 FA Cup semi v Luton. Apologies in advance for the brief segment of Emlyn Hughes talking about the upcoming match! Makes you realise how magical the semi finals were (if we won of course!) when they were played at normal league grounds rather than at Wembley.

Enjoyed watching that again. The game itself wasn't a great performance and we were lucky to be level after 90 mins, especially as Sheeds' free kick was never a foul in the first place. But the team proved its great mental strength at times of need, and it could eke out a win in almost any circumstance (and i'd totally forgotten about Stevens' great volley which nearly won it in normal time).

Enjoyed watching that again. The game itself wasn't a great performance and we were lucky to be level after 90 mins, especially as Sheeds' free kick was never a foul in the first place. But the team proved its great mental strength at times of need, and it could eke out a win in almost any circumstance (and i'd totally forgotten about Stevens' great volley which nearly won it in normal time).
Luton might not have been one of the very top teams of the mid to late 80's, but they were no mugs either, some tough characters in their team back then,
our never say die attitude got us through that one. They got a bit of revenge the following season when they helped blow our league title hopes (along with Oxford) at Kenilworth Road. What I love about watching these highlights is the atmosphere at Villa Park that day, especially those few minutes after Sheeds equaliser, semi finals at Wembley just aren't the same.

24 years ago today, a pretty forgettable 1-0 victory over Newcastle made famous only for it being the night Big Dunc was flogged to the Geordies. It apparently spread like widefire around Goodison he was off but I must have been the only person in the ground not to have known about it as it wasn't until the following morning I found out he'd been sold.