Was it all that bad? Top 5 changes worth retaining from Roberto's years

Status
Not open for further replies.

APN_EFC

Player Valuation: £25m
There are a few things about Martinez' three years which were undeniably good, don't you think?
Of course it was time for change, but here are my top 5 good ideas I hope we don't lose.

1) Fearlessness against top teams. Apart from against Liverpool, we conquered the fear of big teams, and had some really memorable wins against Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal in particular.

2) Martinez attracted some surprisingly good players to EFC, who seemed to come for him, the style and the idea of what we wanted to do. Even if they might not have worked out long term, think Eto'o, Lukaku, Barry, Geri

3) A playing culture throughout the system, from youth to the first teams, was apparently put into place, getting them playing in a particular way.

4) Promoting young players, most of the time. Although at the end it was a bit crazy when the excellent U21s were not getting selected ahead of injured or out of position seniors, having blind faith in Barkley, Stones & Lukaku must have given them confidence (and a bit of complacency too)

5) Loads of English & British players...we might have almost had 5 players in the England squad, and a good core set of other British lads

I like what he did with Unsy, Big Dunc and other blue-blooded players behind the scenes, and two semi finals is not bad! I hope that some of the good things Roberto did are not ripped up

1437926198-anigif-enhanced-6772-1437853236-2.gif

I think you do actually have some good points there. For me it was his refusal to even consider a change in style or set up, even just to see if it worked which was his downfall.

There are a few things about Martinez' three years which were undeniably good, don't you think?
Of course it was time for change, but here are my top 5 good ideas I hope we don't lose.

1) Fearlessness against top teams. Apart from against Liverpool, we conquered the fear of big teams, and had some really memorable wins against Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal in particular.

2) Martinez attracted some surprisingly good players to EFC, who seemed to come for him, the style and the idea of what we wanted to do. Even if they might not have worked out long term, think Eto'o, Lukaku, Barry, Geri

3) A playing culture throughout the system, from youth to the first teams, was apparently put into place, getting them playing in a particular way.

4) Promoting young players, most of the time. Although at the end it was a bit crazy when the excellent U21s were not getting selected ahead of injured or out of position seniors, having blind faith in Barkley, Stones & Lukaku must have given them confidence (and a bit of complacency too)

5) Loads of English & British players...we might have almost had 5 players in the England squad, and a good core set of other British lads

I like what he did with Unsy, Big Dunc and other blue-blooded players behind the scenes, and two semi finals is not bad! I hope that some of the good things Roberto did are not ripped up
Depends how you view these things. Playing without fear should be quite a normal thing to do if you are in the same division. Dave was just a wimp. Playing with the same style through the club is great if you win. If was highly likely he would have relegated us so cant be impressed. Think Lukaku was a good signing but Geri proved zero, Barry is good but hardly in his prime. Two semi finals means zilch. Chelsea win was ok but we were not impressive for most of the game. We came nowhere near either trophy. All in all a waste of three years ending further back than he started by a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.