Walter Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
We signed some absolute dross under Walter. We also signed players who were a mile past their best looking for a payday. Anyone remember Carl Tiler, Mitch Ward, Gazza, Ginola, Alex Nyarko, John Spencer, John Oster, Scott Gemmill to name a few.

We signed some absolute dross under Walter. We also signed players who were a mile past their best looking for a payday. Anyone remember Carl Tiler, Mitch Ward, Gazza, Ginola, Alex Nyarko, John Spencer, John Oster, Scott Gemmill to name a few.

Gazza and ginola certainly.
Rest. Well that was the budget at that time.
Gemmill was an easy target. He was to lightweight for the league but he always gave everything. I was at highbury the day the poor bugger was paired in midfield with nyarko. Gemmill was working his balls off trying to cover nyarko who was strolling around the pitch.
But we did sign some real average players around that time.

I am old enough to have seen Gough in the flesh, and he was superb. So good that he was made Club captain for his second season with us. A little known fact about Gough is that he was born in Stockholm, so that makes him a Swede and you a Cabbage Dave.
I know what I watched. I trust my own judgment on his ability and character, not a local paper with clueless chimps giving him MOTM awards when he hardly moved throughout a game.

People were conned over him, I and many others weren't.

I am old enough to have seen Gough in the flesh, and he was superb. So good that he was made Club captain for his second season with us. A little known fact about Gough is that he was born in Stockholm, so that makes him a Swede and you a Cabbage Dave.
He grew up in South Africa though, so he's a mix of Swedish Scottish and South African.

Gazza and ginola certainly.
Rest. Well that was the budget at that time.
Gemmill was an easy target. He was to lightweight for the league but he always gave everything. I was at highbury the day the poor bugger was paired in midfield with nyarko. Gemmill was working his balls off trying to cover nyarko who was strolling around the pitch.
But we did sign some real average players around that time.
I thought Scott Gemmill was a decent player for us. He was limited for sure, but i liked him. He was a grafter, who always gave it his all.

Great post.

Look at who Walter appointed as his Scotland assistants. A man who truly crossed the divides.

The fact he was so respected by so many Celtic supporters says it all really

Such a shame that what should be a tribute thread is devolving into the usual negative tripe we have to wade through on this forum seemingly all the time

This looks like it was a messy night out !
Wonder what they were singing on the Karaoke ?

7BD85462-F066-4884-B421-56CB32E90DC3.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.