2022/23 Vitalii Mykolenko

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should be running for cover not drawing attention to yourself on this thread.

Not bothering to search for it but frankly if you’d even billed him as half-decent it would be laughable

What I likely said is that he was rated in the media as one of the very best left back prospects in Europe since he made his 1st team debut in Ukraine.

So, if you "could be bothered" to search you could no doubt dig that up in some old articles for yourself.

Name 3 players he’s got the better of going forward? Be hard pushed to see him beat getting past the half way line 3 times. Football and being a LB is more than 1v1 duals on a pitch and most the time he’s in the wrong position to be in a 1v1 he’s way too narrow or he’s had McNeil back helping him since he’s been in the team if you don’t see him as adding to the poor team that we are you’re delusional, and just because Cole was a great LB doesn’t make him a great coach or baines but he’s worked with both of them and I struggle to see any progress in him all I see is the same crap player that joined.

You know how good certain players like Wan-Bissaka looked at Palace? No one got past them and they were signed by top sides who then couldnt transform them into something theyre not?

Well for me, I really liked watching Italian football in the 90s and beyond. I appreciate a defender who defends and that players cant get past.

Theres a lot of posters slating both Mykolenko and Godfrey.

Yet, not many naming opposition players who have got the better of them over 90mins.

Im sure many would love to have Roberto Carlos and Cafu at full back. Surely there are those who can appreciate a Mykolenko and a Wan-Bissaka that dont get beaten 1v1.

Keown said that Godfrey is fantastic at man marking. He was one of the best himself. I wonder what his thoughts would be on Mykolenko rarely being beaten...

If we had a back 4 who never lost out 1v1 people would still complain that there werent any Koeman esque long passes...

When we signed Mykolenko I was saying what the media had stated about him...for McNeil I was pretty happy with the signing -- who was totally slated from day 1.

An effective team doesnt need to have world class players in each position. It also doesnt need to have top all round players in each position...

...it needs to blend the abilities of the players and generally that comes with playing together.

I would be happy with a left side of Mykolenko/Godfrey -- McNeil/Gray next season. The player I would sell of the 4 would be Gray.

The wide area that I see as a major weakness is in fact the right hand side.

Coleman / Iwobi...thats something to be concerned about.

What I likely said is that he was rated in the media as one of the very best left back prospects in Europe since he made his 1st team debut in Ukraine.

So, if you "could be bothered" to search you could no doubt dig that up in some old articles for yourself.

You know how good certain players like Wan-Bissaka looked at Palace? No one got past them and they were signed by top sides who then couldnt transform them into something theyre not?

Well for me, I really liked watching Italian football in the 90s and beyond. I appreciate a defender who defends and that players cant get past.

Yet, not many naming opposition players who have got the better of them over 90mins.

Im sure many would love to have Roberto Carlos and Cafu at full back. Surely there are those who can appreciate a Mykolenko and a Wan-Bissaka that dont get beaten 1v1.

Keown said that Godfrey is fantastic at man marking. He was one of the best himself. I wonder what his thoughts would be on Mykolenko rarely being beaten...

If we had a back 4 who never lost out 1v1 people would still complain that there werent any Koeman esque long passes...

When we signed Mykolenko I was saying what the media had stated about him...for McNeil I was pretty happy with the signing -- who was totally slated from day 1.

An effective team doesnt need to have world class players in each position. It also doesnt need to have top all round players in each position...

...it needs to blend the abilities of the players and generally that comes with playing together.

I would be happy with a left side of Mykolenko/Godfrey -- McNeil/Gray next season. The player I would sell of the 4 would be Gray.

I think the same valid criticisms get levelled at Mykolenko and Wan Bissaka though, which is that there's (much) more to being a full back than being pretty good in one on ones. There aren't that many old fashioned wingers in the league these days who just want to pick the ball up and dribble past you time and time again. That's sometimes why it's difficult to say a particular player got the better of them for 90 minutes, because that isn't really how the games pan out. Both of them struggle - in my opinion - with their positioning and decision making, and both of them can switch off at the back post. That's not to say either of them are bad players, but I get a bit fed up with the 'he's good at blocking crosses therefore he's boss defensively' line because it's just not true really.

Both sides are a concern and will put us in exactly the same position we’ve been in the last 2 seasons mykolenko Is awful on the ball so negative he can’t jump for some reason looks like he has lead boots on jumping, his body shape on the ball and receiving it isn’t great his positioning isn’t it is all a concern yes I like my full backs to stop crosses which he does but I want more from a player than that he loves to do as little as possible without being involved would happily go 90 minutes without touching the ball I want my players to stand up and be counted and want to get forward and join the attack as well as looking comfortable doing it, honestly he is crap and will end up in a European league because I can’t see him remaining in the prem for very long.

I think the same valid criticisms get levelled at Mykolenko and Wan Bissaka though, which is that there's (much) more to being a full back than being pretty good in one on ones. There aren't that many old fashioned wingers in the league these days who just want to pick the ball up and dribble past you time and time again. That's sometimes why it's difficult to say a particular player got the better of them for 90 minutes, because that isn't really how the games pan out. Both of them struggle - in my opinion - with their positioning and decision making, and both of them can switch off at the back post. That's not to say either of them are bad players, but I get a bit fed up with the 'he's good at blocking crosses therefore he's boss defensively' line because it's just not true really.

Both sides are a concern and will put us in exactly the same position we’ve been in the last 2 seasons mykolenko Is awful on the ball so negative he can’t jump for some reason looks like he has lead boots on jumping, his body shape on the ball and receiving it isn’t great his positioning isn’t it is all a concern yes I like my full backs to stop crosses which he does but I want more from a player than that he loves to do as little as possible without being involved would happily go 90 minutes without touching the ball I want my players to stand up and be counted and want to get forward and join the attack as well as looking comfortable doing it, honestly he is crap and will end up in a European league because I can’t see him remaining in the prem for very long.

Some very valid points.

Just on the defensive side, positioning and decision making can be coached and he's still young. Also you would expect a Dyche or a Moyes type coach to focus on these things.

Defenders used to be considered peaking around 28/30 didnt they? He's still 23.

I do think its pointless to discuss his attacking play as its clear that while he was praised for this in Ukraine...he's only delivered in small doses for us.

Happily have him next season as part of the back 4.

Some very valid points.

Just on the defensive side, positioning and decision making can be coached and he's still young. Also you would expect a Dyche or a Moyes type coach to focus on these things.

I do think its pointless to discuss his attacking play as its clear that while he was praised for this in Ukraine...he's only delivered in small doses for us.

I think that's changed now though to be fair. Full back is a very demanding role these days, I would imagine peak years are considerably younger now. That's not to say he can't get any better obviously but I wouldn't expect to see massive improvements in someone of his age and experience. I just think he's very ordinary personally, he's fine for where we are - in that he's no worse than most of them - but if we intend to get better I'm just not sure he's good enough.

I feel he’s as poor as a Tom Davies and having players scattered around in positions who belong in the championship or European leagues is why we’re at this point we’re at. He is young but I don’t see him improving think Patterson can but needs to be playing in the championship for a season at least not ready for first team football and mykolenko isn’t not as a starter that’s for sure, add to that list maupay, iwobi, Gana, Gray, McNeil, doucoure, Simms, Coleman albeit been good this season and cost us practically nothing needs a replacement and Patterson isn’t it. I can go on with the list simply put with that squad of players were lower to relegation candidates until these names are missing from the team sheet if you’re happy with the likes of mykolenko sit tight for a relegation scrap every year.

I feel he’s as poor as a Tom Davies and having players scattered around in positions who belong in the championship or European leagues is why we’re at this point we’re at. He is young but I don’t see him improving think Patterson can but needs to be playing in the championship for a season at least not ready for first team football and mykolenko isn’t not as a starter that’s for sure, add to that list maupay, iwobi, Gana, Gray, McNeil, doucoure, Simms, Coleman albeit been good this season and cost us practically nothing needs a replacement and Patterson isn’t it. I can go on with the list simply put with that squad of players were lower to relegation candidates until these names are missing from the team sheet if you’re happy with the likes of mykolenko sit tight for a relegation scrap every year.

The jury is very much still out if he'll be a good investment for 20 mil. I personally think he's a good defender, defends well aerially despite his size, looks after the ball well. He's not rapid but I don't think he's slow, his main deficiency is a complete lack of attacking instincts.

I think under the circumstances he hasn't been too bad, one thing to remember is that he's been forced to play every game until Godfrey was available again. We are now seeing the downside of playing a CB at LB with Godfrey and in the last 2 games Mykolenko has had good cameos off the bench.

I would be surprised if Dyche doesn't start Myko in the next game.

That said I don't entirely disagree with you, another LB is needed in summer, Vinagre was such a wasted loan.

It's because they don't have 100 assists for our dynamic forwards. I think we were spoiled by peak baines and Coleman. I think myko and Godfrey are decent defenders personally

Some very valid points.

Honestly just get him to improve his crossing - he seems to either over or underhit most crosses regularly.

Then again, he usually had Maupay to aim at... Hm. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.