2022/23 Vitalii Mykolenko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defensively I think he's sound. Only times he struggled when it was a 2v1 against Antony and Dalot because Gray or Gordon didn't track back to help him.

Going forward he's a massive concern though. Modern game needs fullbacks who can be outballs and get the ball up the pitch and into the box. He always looks back or sideways as his first option. Absolutely NEED to do whatever we can to get that out of his system otherwise he'll never be a long-term success here.
Didn't stop Hibbert getting a testimonial.

Knew he reminded me of someone.

I'm not sure he has it in him tbh, I like him I just think he is a very, very basic player that's all.

He had a goal or assist every 3.8 games at Dynamo Kyiv. Obviously there was a difference in quality but he clearly got forward a lot then to do that. I always think he looks really nervous and timid on the pitch - hoping given a bit more time he can settle down and start getting forward.

Very limited player. Time to give Vinagre a go
Competition is always good and rotation too when done well. I can see merit in sticking Vinagre at left in cup games (and use Myko to shore things up for the last15-20 of a game we're comfortable in... whenever that happens).

I didn't think he was bad last night - stopped Anthony from playing (aside from the goal where he'd made the move forwards before Gana lost the ball - totally not at fault).

I think his biggest issue (which makes him look bad in the eyes of the less familiar full back fan) is that (predominantly) Gray (but also Gordon) doesn't pass on the overlap (or actually at all) and therefore after 15 runs where you should be getting the ball and you're not, you tend to know that the only place you will get the ball is a pass-back outlet for when Gray runs down one of his blind alleys.
Used to play RB. This is SO true!

Defensively I think he's sound. Only times he struggled when it was a 2v1 against Antony and Dalot because Gray or Gordon didn't track back to help him.

Going forward he's a massive concern though. Modern game needs fullbacks who can be outballs and get the ball up the pitch and into the box. He always looks back or sideways as his first option. Absolutely NEED to do whatever we can to get that out of his system otherwise he'll never be a long-term success here.
He makes good runs, by Gordon and Gray don't like passing to full backs on overlaps.

Game has changed a lot since then and Coleman was twice the player Hibbert was when he replaced him. Mykoleno will need replaced if he doesn't improve his attacking output sadly.
No, I agree. I just wanted to make the Hibbert joke.

Mykolenko is very like Wan-Bissaka at United. You're a man down in attack if a full-back can't join in these days.

He’s not staying in the team based on performances, is he? It says a lot about our backup options or lack of.

He’s doing okay and while that is enough to get in our team now, it won’t be longer term.

Priority is upgrading the wide forward options based on Gray and Gordon’s current levels. But after that, left back and a creative, goal scoring centre mid are the next positions needed.

Haven't really been a fan of him, I think he defends well at times and other times he's all over the place. He is only relatively young, so will have a chance to improve. I'd personally like to see Vinagre given a chance but i'm not sure Frank will change the back 4 too much, we have still conceded fewer goals than we would have normally at this point, its up the other end of the pitch where we are found wanting, the most.

A waste of a player on the pitch. Just offers us absolutely nothing at all. Criminal in the modern game to have a full back so reluctant to touch the ball.

Have to say he reminds me of the type of player who comes through the ranks and becomes a regular by being not totally out of their depth, rather than because they’re genuine quality. He’s not bad, but I’m not sure I’d say he’s good either.

Status
Not open for further replies.