VAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

As a general comment I think it’s going to spoil the live entertainment of a game. To celebrate a goal and then to find it’s cancelled out 2 mins later spoils all the excitement of being at a game.
I accept goal line technology but part and parcel of the game used to be giving the ref and Lino’s stick. Now the Lino’s are redundant

The issue today wasn’t VAR, it’s the ludicrous change of the law regarding handball that has cost wolves and city victories these last two weeks.

....I have no problem with a new rule as long as it’s consistently applied. I said in Summer that we’d see new definitions of rules, particularly hand balls in the penalty area. They will try and establish instances which are less open to interpretation. In 5 years time it will be norm.

I’d argue without VAR Watford would of got a penalty today. Mason made the easy choice then let VAR make the difficult (right) decision.

If the calls are right, that’s all the matters. The first season with it will be up and down, but the necessary adjustments will be made. Goals have been canceled on the field well before VAR. It won’t take away from the celebration of the ones that stand.

It's the arbitrary nature of what gets called for assessment by nameless, unaccountable people. That's the issue.

Of course this thing will deal with major errors. FFS, 4 people watching a replay of a glaring error cant help but call it. The issue is when it's a judgement call on say a penalty that can just slide by and not be addressed, or even addressed and dismissed but not allowing the red to go to a monitor to get their viewpoint .

This is a system open to handing a title to a team because enough of these decisions can make that happen. The anonymity of who these VAR officials are can allow it to happen with impunity now. There's no accountability. Refs in years gone by couldn't be seen to be giving decision after decision that works against one team - at least a team in the hunt for a title. It would be obvious and the refs would feel the need to watch what they did.

All of that has now gone with VAR.

It's the arbitrary nature of what gets called for assessment by nameless, unaccountable people. That's the issue.

Of course this thing will deal with major errors. FFS, 4 people watching a replay of a glaring error cant help but call it. The issue is when it's a judgement call on say a penalty that can just slide by and not be addressed, or even addressed and dismissed but not allowing the red to go to a monitor to get their viewpoint .

This is a system open to handing a title to a team because enough of these decisions can make that happen. The anonymity of who these VAR officials are can allow it to happen with impunity now. There's no accountability. Refs in years gone by couldn't be seen to be giving decision after decision that works against one team - at least a team in the hunt for a title. It would be obvious and the refs would feel the need to watch what they did.

All of that has now gone with VAR.
So, are you for or against VAR?

Status
Not open for further replies.