Using numbers instead of positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA Toffee

Player Valuation: £40m
Can someone help me here. It seems people think they are cool by referring to positions by a shirt numbers. Fine in concept, but given that there are so many tactical formations now, I really can't get my head around how it works now.

For example, is a "number 10" the same role in a 442 as it is in a 433 or a 4231 or a 343? What about a "traditional number 7". Is that different based on the formation or are we going to shoehorn an obselete position into a modern line up?

Or are people just trying to be hipsters and proving that they don't really understand football at all?

I class a number 10 as a link up player, someone who will drop and make things happen, they can play in any formation. in 442 they just drop behind the number 9 to open doors.

I see a number 10 as the link between midfield and strikers, 4 and 5 etc are traditionally centre backs, the new one seems to be the number 6 which sounds like a defensive midfielder

Can someone help me here. It seems people think they are cool by referring to positions by a shirt numbers. Fine in concept, but given that there are so many tactical formations now, I really can't get my head around how it works now.

For example, is a "number 10" the same role in a 442 as it is in a 433 or a 4231 or a 343? What about a "traditional number 7". Is that different based on the formation or are we going to shoehorn an obselete position into a modern line up?

Or are people just trying to be hipsters and proving that they don't really understand football at all?

It's been a thing for years and years and years grandad.

Status
Not open for further replies.