Us v Utd semi final march 1983

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty

Sack Sky and donate to GOT...donations are needed
Its on ITV 4 now, 4 plus at 10.00, some great names in the match on both sides and it was the beginning of our 80's resurgence, well worth a look or recording;)

Its on ITV 4 now, 4 plus at 10.00, some great names in the match on both sides and it was the beginning of our 80's resurgence, well worth a look or recording;)

was a quarter final I think. my first visit to Old Trafford. we totally outclassed them and got rave reviews but remember the highlights making it look like they had been on top. gutting in so many ways. not sure it was part of our resurgence, we had a massive low in the league the first half of the following season.

was a quarter final I think. my first visit to Old Trafford. we totally outclassed them and got rave reviews but remember the highlights making it look like they had been on top. gutting in so many ways. not sure it was part of our resurgence, we had a massive low in the league the first half of the following season.
Correct. The match highlights showed a few minutes of the first 80 then virtually all the last 10 when Utd finally came into the game. In the first 80 we were absolutely superb. I remember the fantastic support we had that day as well. We had the whole of the Scoreboard End (about 12,000 in those days). Making clubs offer a quarter of capacity to visiting support in FA Cup games should be returned to. It made for great atmospheres and was one of the things that made the fA Cup what it was.

Correct. The match highlights showed a few minutes of the first 80 then virtually all the last 10 when Utd finally came into the game. In the first 80 we were absolutely superb. I remember the fantastic support we had that day as well. We had the whole of the Scoreboard End (about 12,000 in those days). Making clubs offer a quarter of capacity to visiting support in FA Cup games should be returned to. It made for great atmospheres and was one of the things that made the fA Cup what it was.

Probably the meanest, largest mob of Merseside's finest that ever left this city.

almost hard to imagine how much a cup game like that meant nowadays. imagine an atmosphere anything like that against Wigan, maybe they would have sh*t it, instead of us

They won in Pre-Fergie time - hell we battered them. I was there - just another FA Cup awayday disaster.

I was there that day, battered them for virtually all the game then lost in injury time. A funny thing happened to me that day, someone had blown a condom up and it was floating around for a while, when suddenly it burst and out of 14 thousand blues it fell on my head. Typical !!!

It was a Quarter final. ITV4 showed the previous round a few weeks ago vs Spurs at Goodison. At one part you could see my dad as a 21 in the lower Gwladys while Spurs were taking a corner.

We played far better that day than we had for a long time and the nucleus of the 80's team started to take shape. Although we got beat we came away with our heads held high which made a pleasant change

Probably the meanest, largest mob of Merseside's finest that ever left this city.

Anyone in the Beehive in town before the trains left ,great atmosphere ,superb performance I thought our numbers were in the 15,000 mark.
We definetely saw the first shoots of what was to follow that day how we lost Ill never know, Macari scored in the 37 minute of injury time didnt he ?

Anyone in the Beehive in town before the trains left ,great atmosphere ,superb performance I thought our numbers were in the 15,000 mark.
We definetely saw the first shoots of what was to follow that day how we lost Ill never know, Macari scored in the 37 minute of injury time didnt he ?

Macari came on after three hours extra time, he laid it on for Stapleton, who to this day I'm certain doesn't have a clue how he got it the net

At least 15000 there = 25% of 60 000 capacity. Irvine Heath sharp tore them to shreds but wasted chances. Really felt like we would never get a break but those lads developed into something special after a couple of vital additions. Would have played Brighton in final if we had got through. Thought our name was on the cup that year. Only had to wait one more year though.

Status
Not open for further replies.