Unsworth should have been kept in charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically reading this thread ,you mostly all would put up with the way we are playing atm flirting with relegation,but you wouldn't want to flirt with relegation and atempt to play a bit of togger,

We're not really flirting with relegation though. We will pick up the 5/6 points needed from our home games against the poorer sides like Brighton, Newcastle and Southampton, as the current manager has shown he is capable of getting his team to achieve that. We'll no doubt lose all but about 1 of our aways where we pick up a plucky draw thanks to his tactic of playing for a draw in them.

It's a sad but realistic reality, but yes i'd still take this over getting taken apart by relegation threatened sides like Southampton which we did under Unsworth, and being only 2 points above the drop with the most goals conceded in the league. The club acted after the Southampton humiliation - before the West Ham game, where we had just lost 5 in 7.

We can hypothesise all we like about the West Ham game, but for me that had more to do with Unsworth than Allardyce, as he chose and prepared the team.

If the players really only responded because a new man was sat in the stands as some believe then it just shows how unprofessional and weak-minded they are.

Apart from the Leicester game and the feel-good factor around Seamus Coleman, I can't see any discernible improvement under Allardyce. He seems to have removed any vestige of fight in the team, and refuses to take any responsibility.

Would it really have been any worse under Unsworth ?

Before i put my point across here, let me state I am aware of how dismal some of the performances with Rhino in charge where. However, were they any worse than what we are currently witnessing? I think not.

What allardyce and his team have done is rubber stamp the disillusionment amongst the fan base which Koeman had begun. Whilst performances under Unsworth were generally poor, there was a bit more of the backs to the wall attitude which generated a little fight throughout the club (Watford home for example).

Now let's consider the games Allardyce has won whilst in charge.
Huddersfield (h)
Swansea (h)
Newcastle (a)
Leicester (h)
Palace (h)

I honestly believe that we would have won all those games had Unsworth remained in charge and ended up floating round mid table as we are now. Huddersfield and Swansea were woeful at the time and required only two crap ish performances from Ourselves to beat them. Newcastle we were lucky but still it was two poor teams. Leicester and Palace we were helped massively by circumstances and both Zaha and Mahrez missing. Granted, Allardyce has picked up odd points here and there through his park the bus approach, but again, maybe we would have beaten WBA on one occasion which would compensate for another draw/loss elsewhere.

Essentially, the board panicked after Southampton and were panicked into making rotten managerial and coaching appointments which is ultimately going to do nothing other than create a further divide between the fans and the club and then cost the club another small fortune to pay them all off if (likely when) they are removed. If the board had given Unsy the games against Huddersfield and Swansea, won the, both and them come out and stated he is the Mann for the rest of the season as anyone else we may want isn't currently available, I think most Evertonians would have accepted that as a stop gap.

As fans who go week in week out we should expect better and demand better from 'professionals' who are in charge of the club.

I agree at ‘A’.

For many, Southampton away was the watershed; I didn’t panic so mine was West Ham home.

Unlike sam, Unsworth was brave and seized his opportunity. He tried to play football that would appeal to the fans: yes, he failed at times, but in the Premiership where it counts, he did well for the few games he was in charge, and as an optimist, I’d like to extrapolate and believe that we would have gone from strength to strength, and at least, been in the same position as we are currently but looking to secure 7th. Contrast that with what we actually have now. Maybe sam’s right for once and the concept of a relegation battle is indeed looming large.

Perhaps if David had just parked the bus, his reputation for some would have remained in tact: a plucky little Unsy for a plucky little Everton with a deserved pat on the head for keeping the seat warm.

I wish him all the very best for the future; I have the fullest of faith in him.

We can hypothesise all we like about the West Ham game, but for me that had more to do with Unsworth than Allardyce, as he chose and prepared the team.

If the players really only responded because a new man was sat in the stands as some believe then it just shows how unprofessional and weak-minded they are.

Apart from the Leicester game and the feel-good factor around Seamus Coleman, I can't see any discernible improvement under Allardyce. He seems to have removed any vestige of fight in the team, and refuses to take any responsibility.

Would it really have been any worse under Unsworth ?
Apart from you know, winning 4 odd on the bounce, going 7 unbeaten and getting our first away win in the league and a win in europe to save some grace.

Everyone seems to be ignoring how much that run benefitted us.

I am not advocating Sam is the man, however I can see that never would have happened under Unsy/Koeman

We were absolutely terrible under Unsworth. We aren’t much better now like but we are slightly better than we were.

He would have played more youngsters, who would have had their confidence destroyed and we wouldn’t have signed Walcott with him in charge.

I can’t stand Allardyce just like most of us and I hope he goes sooner rather than later, but we won’t get relegated now which we genuinely might have under Rhino.

Can't agree with that OP. We'd be looking at relegation. Unsworth has no clue how to manage at this level. What we should have done was not put all our eggs in one basket with Silva, had a list of three or four decent level managers, and then gone after them instead of panicking and listening to Walsh. The season was a write off anyways, so the new gaffer would have had an entire half season, plus a transfer window, to sort this mess out and get us up and running for the first game of next season.

The game at Southampton was probably our worst performance of the season, and that's saying something. We may have had worse scores against Spurs, Man United and Arsenal but everyone know they can be deadly on their day. Southampton are a poor team and we made them look like world beaters.

Everton were in free fall under Unsworth.

The maulings that he'd have taken from Chelsea and Liverpool would have made the handful of vital wins that came under Allardyce all the more unlikely.

I dont want either of them in charge of Everton. Rhino brought us a passion for Everton but poor management/results and some heavy defeats and Allardyce has made us the most boring defensive defeatist unwatchable team in the league and just 3 wins in the last 2 months. No thanks to either of them. Get to 40 points and get shut of Allardyce and all his back room staff and then at the end of the season start from scratch and a full rebuild. Only way forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.