Unluckiest Everton Players Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whiteside had an awful injury record for us.

Didn't help that he was well and truly knackered when we bought him

Lawton. The heir apparent to Dixie in the peak of his powers only for a world war to intervene

Got to give a mention to Roger Kenyon: unused sub in the '68 FA Cup Final; played 8 games in the run in to the Championship in 1970 in place of the injured Labone, but didn't get a medal as you needed more appearances (at that time) to be awarded one; selected for several England squads by Don Revie, but never won a cap as he didn't set foot on the field despite Revie telling him he would bring him on as sub. Add to that he was captain of the team that threw away the league in 74/5 and the injuries he had in his late 20s that saw him leave us when he was only 30.

Yes although hardly a worldie.

This is why I would have him down as unlucky.

Williamson was signed with a good reputation and a lot of potential. Played a handful of games for us and looked OK including a very good derby performance.

Injured his leg (cant remember which part, ankle or knee?) was out for about three seasons, and just as he was about to make a come back he did the exact same injury to the other leg.

Then he got wrongly lumped into peoples worst ever Everton teams.

That's unlucky because not only was his career ruined but his legacy was also tarnished for no apparent reason!

I always felt bad for Matt McKay who Kendall bought from Chester. Paid about 250k for him which was a big amount then for a young nobody. Got injured without playing a game and never played football again.

Evening all,

This rather unfortunate Gbamin news has got me thinking about the unluckiest Everton players I have known. James Vaughan was incredibly unlucky with injuries. He was, in my humble but irrelevant opinion, a really good footballer and without the injuries he'd have gone on to make a very big impact on the club.

Then there was Victor Anichebe who wasn't as talented, but he seemed to pick up knocks just when he was starting to find a bit of consistency. I recall Yakubu being in blinding form and us going well but then he got hurt at Spurs or somewhere and was never the same. Again, quite unlucky.

This is just from memory, I'm sure there are a lot more given how Everton seem to have some comsmic pull toward attracting players with a tendency for extremely bad luck.

Thinking of doing a video on the subject, any more examples that you can think of?
I'm beginning to think that Gbamin doesn't exist, maybe they just want us to think he does, who are THEY? no idea more powerful people than me.

As I've said before.
I worked with Yaks brother ( he's a pharmacist ) and when talking about that injury at the time, it was an absolute shocker.
The grief Yak got for being 'fat' pissed him off as well coming back from that type of injury.
Absolute slotter was Yak and i loved the player.
This is genuinely one of the “funnest facts” I’ve ever read on GOT

Status
Not open for further replies.