Unai Emery

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were led to believe we had a chance with him a few years ago, since then he has managed PSG and Arsenal.

As bad as you are all saying he is, he did get Arsenal to a major European final last season and let’s be honest, whoever took over from Wenger was on a hiding to nothing, exactly just as Moyes was at United when he took over from Ferguson.

Emery hasnt turned into a bad manager, but his credibility has taken a big knock.

My concern would be his leadership abilities, as mentioned elsewhere.

We have a lot of players that are capable of more, but produce far less. That suggests to me that there is somewhat of an attitude problem at Finch Farm, and it needs a strong manager to instill discipline and consistency of application.

I don't think a tactician like Emery is well suited to getting the best from them. The respect he would command from the squad has to be tarnished from his recent experience.

He didn't come out well from asking the Arsenal squad to have a vote on the team captaincy and there were reports some of the senior players there sniggering at his accent. These things would concern me. Things like that wouldn't happen under a manager that everyone regarded as "the boss".

We need a strong personality, a character, with big enough shoulders to drag this club, and the players, upwards.

This is probably my issue too.

He hasn't become a bad manager overnight. 3 consecutive European titles,two 5th place and a 7th place finish (including finishing just 2 points behind Atletico Madrid in 3rd) at Sevilla is an outstanding record at a club not too dissimilar to us in Sevilla. They were 12th when he took over and had finished 9th the season before so in all honesty in not too dissimilar position to where we are currently.

The concerns are obvious though. His English isn't so great and to me he doesn't strike me as a big, over powering personality which I think we are crying out for. It's not just the players that I think need motivating, but also the fans. A lot of apathy has set in and in truth we have been given an iberian style of playing which most of us resent. I worry that people will grow impatient quite quickly.

I think we are at the stage as a club that if we can get someone on the touchline, who galvanises fans a bit, it would go a long way at the moment. It doesn't strike me as Emery, however well he did at Sevilla.

As a final concern, I do wonder how much of his success at Sevilla was also down to Monchi?

MarcelsGoat understands never to trust a word that Sky Sport understands.
You'd almost think that they have a betting company that needs some BS released so the gullible will have a bet on it.. OOOOHHHHH sky sports understands, i'd better go to Sky Bet and have a few pounds on that.

SKYBET was sold to a Canadian betting firm (Full tilt, Poker stars etc) early last year. They have no skin in the game other than creating something to talk about on their news channels

Status
Not open for further replies.