Turning the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentinel

Player Valuation: £8m
70 mins into today's game, I was looking towards the bench. What I saw is Dyche making a flurry of changes. Then it dawned on me, maybe Ancelotti, is waiting for his opposite number to show his hand. I'm not suggesting that's the way it went but we won. For the first time in a long time, I sat there and said to meself, ya know, have faith, this man knows more in his little finger, than you'll learn in a lifetime.

Questioning someone who looks like they have their eyes transfixed by the Goodison headlights, is entirely different than a man who has stared down the most intimidating arenas and won. He played the game like a chess master, waiting to see his opposite move then punishing his opponent. Dyche was schooled today, make no mistake and he won't be the first either.

Kendall was a master when it came to tactical awareness. He received abuse like a dog initially when he first joined and I was one of them. He rubbed the critics noses in the dirt. Shankly coming from Huddersfield had it too. They see things that lesser mortals don't. Sometimes it takes time, there's only so much you can do in two days but to every supporter watching today, we could see the difference. This is a manager who knows what he's doing.

Inevitably we'll see a narrative from the toxic media, "this is Ancelotti's Everton" and they will game him with every top job that comes available. He's "bigger", "wasted", while they conveniently forget, that they basically told him he shouldn't come here in the first place.

If he stays, he could become a legend here, mentioned in the same breath as Catterick and Kendall. And that will be worth more than any millions he has in the bank. After Moshiri's bankrolled nearly half a billion on players, what he has to work with is, de facto poor and a legacy that both Walsh and Brands have to answer for.

Craftsmen don't blame their tools and if anyone can turn this haphazard collection of players to believe in themselves and forge them to their potential, without a doubt in my mind, he's the man to do that. It goes against my grain to see a swallow and call summer but the corner has been turned.

70 mins into today's game, I was looking towards the bench. What I saw is Dyche making a flurry of changes. Then it dawned on me, maybe Ancelotti, is waiting for his opposite number to show his hand. I'm not suggesting that's the way it went but we won. For the first time in a long time, I sat there and said to meself, ya know, have faith, this man knows more in his little finger, than you'll learn in a lifetime.

Questioning someone who looks like they have their eyes transfixed by the Goodison headlights, is entirely different than a man who has stared down the most intimidating arenas and won. He played the game like a chess master, waiting to see his opposite move then punishing his opponent. Dyche was schooled today, make no mistake and he won't be the first either.

Kendall was a master when it came to tactical awareness. He received abuse like a dog initially when he first joined and I was one of them. He rubbed the critics noses in the dirt. Shankly coming from Huddersfield had it too. They see things that lesser mortals don't. Sometimes it takes time, there's only so much you can do in two days but to every supporter watching today, we could see the difference. This is a manager who knows what he's doing.

Inevitably we'll see a narrative from the toxic media, "this is Ancelotti's Everton" and they will game him with every top job that comes available. He's "bigger", "wasted", while they conveniently forget, that they basically told him he shouldn't come here in the first place.

If he stays, he could become a legend here, mentioned in the same breath as Catterick and Kendall. And that will be worth more than any millions he has in the bank. After Moshiri's bankrolled nearly half a billion on players, what he has to work with is, de facto poor and a legacy that both Walsh and Brands have to answer for.

Craftsmen don't blame their tools and if anyone can turn this haphazard collection of players to believe in themselves and forge them to their potential, without a doubt in my mind, he's the man to do that. It goes against my grain to see a swallow and call summer but the corner has been turned.
Great post

We saw to different formations today and neither where 4-2-3-1

we had Walcott stripped and ready to come on. Then we scored and Walcott sat back down.
Best we played in a while in horrendous conditions against a poor side

But surely the post-Silva results at least constitute putting a curve in the straight line to Hell we were on before?

...most welcome and more importantly, most needed but you often get a ‘bounce’ with change. I’m not knocking it, but we are still just above the relegation places and need to accumulate points.

Signs are promising, but too early to say we’ve turned a corner.

I repeat for the umpteenth time, at the start of the season, almost all of us were thrilled with this squad - with the absence of Zouma being noted. They are not bad players and you could see that yesterday. Even without some real first teamers, you could see they all knew what they had to do. For example, Siggy - played his best game in ages, no doubt trying to impress, but also playing to the pattern and fitting in.

Who would have thought that Sidibe would be a sort of winger playing in front of Coleman. most of us it was either/or? Plenty to do - really so much to do - but a very good start against a robustly defensive and aggressive Burnley. Well done Carlo, 9/10 for the first effort.

Carlo is a poker player. To be fair he should be by now. Burnley set up shop, fair enough, I'm not going to criticize them for that. I'll hand my hand up and say, I would've taken DCL off. Probably Richalison first. Either way, he see's something, holding your nerve and getting it right. That's refreshing

That's the litmus test and okay, it's one game but seeing that one eyed raised and the shake of the head. Maybe DCL can become that world class player under that pressure. If you have that motivation behind you, do really wanna be known as failed in front of Ancelotti in your resume?

The goal he scored today was right out of the Gray, Ferguson handbook. Yeah, he missed a couple of sitters but you could see his reaction when he scored. I honestly believe that the players have renewed faith and irrespective of their shortcomings, with a wee word in their ear, not only will they fight for their manager, they'll fight for us too and become better players.

Yep. Most of the OP apart from the overrated Shankly bits. A Sacred Cow who could do no wrong (he was a bit of a lunatic!) when in reality it was Paisley who was the smart one.

Nice sentiments but let's not get carried away after one game. Let's focus on getting up the table but I'm also of the mind that one game is too little to say you have turned a corner. I mean Dunc was unbeaten in his league games so he started the renaissance.

To be fair watching the game and we were looking most likely,but was not sure if the goal was going to come,when i seen Burnley making subs and we still had not made a change,i was wondering was he going to make one at all,i was half expecting Kean to come on and get the winner with both been from Italy,ie a kid scores his 1st goal for his italian counterpart for the winner etc,Just thankfully we got what we deserved

Yep. Most of the OP apart from the overrated Shankly bits. A Sacred Cow who could do no wrong (he was a bit of a lunatic!) when in reality it was Paisley who was the smart one.
Not here to argue but I think you are wrong ,Shankly was the man . I once went into a cafe and he was there ,of course I hated him but there was this feeling in the air that he was someone special. I don't know about the lunatic bit but he was a real boxing fan that I do know .
On a more important matter every journey begins with the first step and yes too early to call but the fact he played Coleman and Sidibe shows he is a different thinker .

To be fair watching the game and we were looking most likely,but was not sure if the goal was going to come,when i seen Burnley making subs and we still had not made a change,i was wondering was he going to make one at all,i was half expecting Kean to come on and get the winner with both been from Italy,ie a kid scores his 1st goal for his italian counterpart for the winner etc,Just thankfully we got what we deserved
3 away games to come,lets see how we do in them

Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, United they're all a shambles. Leicester were humiliated and they deserved to be, they're workmanlike at best. Now is the time to strike. A decent manager will galvanize a club and seize the initiative. Opportunities like this only come around in a blue moon.

I don't expect us to be finishing in a Europe place, but it wouldn't surprise me if Ancelotti was licking his lips about taking on Lampard, Arteta et al. And I will laugh at the Merson's, the Lawrensons and the feckin Charlie Nichols, those shysters don't know their arse from their elbow.

Why did Ancelotti go to Everton? I'll tell you why you media whore, ingrates, he wants a fat wallet and he's managing Everton Football Club. That's a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.