Truly world class.........?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...they were such a unique blend of players who complimented each other, not just in terms of their skill sets but also in terms of attitude. It’s a fair point you make, Dario. I consider the likes of Pat VdH a truly classy defender who at that time could’ve graced any team, Sharp the best target man i’ve ever seen. Neither, however, accumulated many international caps for their countries. Similar with Reid and Bracewell. Heath was never a full international.

Some team, though.
Still to this day far and away the best left back I have seen in a blue shirt Eggs(I was too young to see Ray Wilson!!)ever since I have wanted us to have taller full backs like Pat,great for defending at the back stick with clearing headers, he also slotted seamlessly in as a centre back to great effect too :)

We sold him for 90 million pounds Michael. The price of a world-class talent.

Or may be one of the very few world class pieces of transfer business Everton have been involved in? Hindsight is a wonderful thing but whoever managed to get £90m out of that lot for him did good!

Anyone in the team of 1984-85,it was labelled by the media the team with no stars, but for me any of them could have fitted into a World XI that season they were THAT good,I know my eyes didn't deceive me as I watched virtually every home/away game that fantastic season:)

Stands to applaud this post.

And in that vein of thought, the Holy Trinity were all exceptional individuals - as a trio, absolutely unsurpassed.

Rooney was the standout performer of Euro 04, that's why utd who at the time were one of the biggest clubs in the world bought him and he scored a hat trick in the CL on debut for them. I'd kind of say that indicates he was world class while he was with us, albeit for a short time.

Far and away his best international tournament. Confirmed him as a player at the top table.

Rooney was the standout performer of Euro 04, that's why utd who at the time were one of the biggest clubs in the world bought him and he scored a hat trick in the CL on debut for them. I'd kind of say that indicates he was world class while he was with us, albeit for a short time.
I’d half agree, but in terms of performances in an Everton shirt, I couldn’t pick out a world class performance from him personally. Lots of promise and clearly gifted beyond measure though.

Still to this day far and away the best left back I have seen in a blue shirt Eggs(I was too young to see Ray Wilson!!)ever since I have wanted us to have taller full backs like Pat,great for defending at the back stick with clearing headers, he also slotted seamlessly in as a centre back to great effect too :)

...absolutely, such a shame he got the ‘Psycho’ nickname. That last title win he played most of the season at CB which summed up his quality, he was the definition of a Rolls Royce. Fitting he scored the winner at Norwich, what a player.

...only here for one season. He was some player at that time, though.
He was indeed some goalscorer Eggs, and but for not having the right boots with him that night at Oxford, should have won a double with us.
But and will probably get slated for this, not a great team player.
Wasn't team orientated imo, even used to warm up on his own pre-game.

Or may be one of the very few world class pieces of transfer business Everton have been involved in? Hindsight is a wonderful thing but whoever managed to get £90m out of that lot for him did good!

Nah, he was very, very, very good for us. Borderline world class at points.

It's funny to laugh at it now but let's not ignore what he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.