Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob17896

Player Valuation: £35m
Now that clubs will be losing a fair bit of money but still have existing debt, do you think fees will reduce? Also will there be less activity as clubs will not be able to offer contracts as good as the players current deals?

...can only guess how the lock-down will impact the market, much may depend on where a player is at in their current contract cycle. If they are on big bucks in their final year, they might be more willing to take a significant cut for the security of 3 years elsewhere.

I could see wage structuring in contracts such that wages increase season on season to cope with the financial impact on clubs by Covid-19 And try to recover. I suspect that there'll be a few clauses about what happens with regards to wages if the game is shut down again. It's a real mine field I would guess.

I could see wage structuring in contracts such that wages increase season on season to cope with the financial impact on clubs by Covid-19 And try to recover. I suspect that there'll be a few clauses about what happens with regards to wages if the game is shut down again. It's a real mine field I would guess.
Uncle uzzy

This is why I think we could see a big name signing this summer

...can only guess how the lock-down will impact the market, much may depend on where a player is at in their current contract cycle. If they are on big bucks in their final year, they might be more willing to take a significant cut for the security of 3 years elsewhere.

I think it might work the other way too, players in their final year will be less likely to transfer because they will probably be offered less wages at their new clubs. They are therefore just as likely to see out their current deal and then get a free transfer the following season, hoping that the economy has recovered.
There have been rumours that we are offering players like Bolasie and Schniederlin for £3m and £5m, to try and tempt teams into taking them on

I think it might work the other way too, players in their final year will be less likely to transfer because they will probably be offered less wages at their new clubs. They are therefore just as likely to see out their current deal and then get a free transfer the following season, hoping that the economy has recovered.
There have been rumours that we are offering players like Bolasie and Schniederlin for £3m and £5m, to try and tempt teams into taking them on

You'd imagine Palace would bite at 3m for Bolasie and someone like Marseille for Schneiderlin.

The problem is, no one knows what the new value or wages of players will be, including the clubs. That makes it risky to sign players any time soon because you could end up vastly over paying.

You'd expect fees to reduce overall, clubs are probably going to be taking big losses on their usual revenue and no-one is going to want to start handing out expensive contracts in a climate where games may not even get played to crowds. Big name transfers will probably still be pretty high but I think we'll see much less activity in the first window and then clubs will realise they need to start lowering prices so they can sell and keep afloat.

I imagine most new contracts will also now start including terms stating that if players can't play due to something like Covid-19 then they'll take a percentage cut on their wages equivalent to what the clubs will lose in revenue (done in a way which legally doesn't require players to agree to a wage cut).

Status
Not open for further replies.