Homepage Article Tragedy and Farce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excellent piece encapsulating our problems.

Sometimes I don't even know where to begin to try and make some sense of this continuous cycle of raised hope followed by disappointment and dejection.

I can only summarise what I have said already;

1) I don't think Silva will survive much longer, win or lose on Saturday. It's the inability to address fundamental issues - continuing poor away form and an inability to recover points from a losing situation that will cost him as much as this current horror run.

2) Given that is likely to be the case, the responsibility of searching for and choosing a new manager should fall entirely on Brands. Moshiri's "methods" in this instance have been clearly shown to fail.

We might expect Brands to be able to bring in a manager more tailor-made to suit our present circumstances, rather than a hopeful punt on landing the "next big thing." We don't have the luxury of taking a gamble like that after a succession of failed appointments. The stakes are simply too high and we cannot sustain continued failure and stagnation.

3) We won't find the ideal candidate and managers in the elite group will not give us the time of day. If possible, I would like to see someone as experienced as possible brought in, with a degree of character and personality big enough to manage inflated expectations at this club and get more from under-performing players.

4) Like it or not, we need to be active in January, with or without a new manager, for a CB/Striker. I would think it's imperative for any new manager coing in to know that there will be funds avalable in January, given the pressure he would be under from the off and the short-termism that has clearly taken hold.

Last edited:
He'd have to do a lot to win me around, I've virtually given up on him. It's not about the results mostly even with an easy fixture list I didn't expect Everton to win all of them all though it was achievable if we turned up it's more about being so far up yourself you stick with the same formation and way of playing when it's lost you the last 3 games and then has the cheek to do it against Burnley hoping it will magically change. It is a good point about Moshiri wanting success ASAP while you would have thought Brands being brought in to try the Ajax method of blooding youngsters which doesn't guarantee success but it can get you very close if you have the right group.
This sums him up for me,tactically limited managers get found out quickly in the Prem.Still playing a system that last season relied heavily on Gueye.

Excellent piece encapsulating our problems.

Sometimes I don't even know where to begin to try and make some sense of this continuous cycle of raised hope followed by disappointment and dejection.

I can only summarise what I have said already;

1) I don't think Silva will survive much longer, win or lose on Saturday. It's the inability to address fundamental issues - continuing poor away form and an inability to recover points from a losing situation that will cost him as much as this current horror run.

2) Given that is likely to be the case, the responsibility of searching for and choosing a new manager should fall entirely on Brands. Moshiri's "methods" in this instance have been clearly shown to fail.

We might expect Brands to be able to bring in a manager more tailor-made to suit our present circumstances, rather than a hopeful punt on landing the "next big thing." We don't have the luxury of taking a gamble like that after a succession of failed appointments. The stakes are simply too high and we cannot sustain continued failure and stagnation.

3) We won't find the ideal candidate and managers in the elite group will not give us the time of day. If possible, I would like to see someone as experienced as possible brought in, with a degree of character and personality big enough to manage inflated expectations at this club and get more from under-performing players.

4) Like it or not, we need to be active in January, with or without a new manager, for a CB/Striker. I would think it's imperative for any new manager coing in to know that there will be funds avalable in January, given the pressure he would be under from the off and the short-termism that has clearly taken hold.

Thanks Bri.

I would agree with you that Silva has a lot to do. While looking back historically is a bit dry, the only managers to survive for more than 20 games having lost 4 league games in a row were under Kenwright.He was very averse to acting managers and none of those managers had had the financial support managers outside of that period had. All of them went on decent runs too (Smith winning 4 from 5), Martinez picked up 24 points from 14 league games, Moyes picked up 40 from 18 and went on to finish 4th, and then 13 from 6 games /33 from 19 games. So all of those managers had a very quick response to such a run and one that then translated into a good 12 months or so (I think Smith got like 60 points from the next 40 games after his losing run).

For me it's difficult to see Silva producing that sort of winning run over a prolonged period to win trust back. He may escape this particular run with some wins, but he needs a sharp set of results and to continue that on until the end of the season. I do think for a lot of supporters he will have lost faith he will be unable to win back.

Brands should be in charge of any recruitment. I'll be frank I have little faith that will happen though. We remain for me very badly run at board level, where ego's of certain board members seem to take precedence over progress for the club. I think Kenwright will undoubtedly want more control over the process, and Moshiri has shown he is quite willing to take unilateral decision making options. It will be intriguing to see who we end up with.

If it's Brands I would to rule out Van Bommell. He was appointed at PSV just after Brands left and I imagine he'd have had some say in it.

I agree on point 3. To me we give managers 1 season free now. So we need a manager who in all honesty is going to make quite a quick difference. If you have a poor/ordinary first season you are very quickly under pressure here. We need a manager who is going to rapidly improve our fortunes from day 1. It's a hard ask, but it removes layers of managers.

Some slight disagreement on point 3. To me we have 4 international strikers. Richarlinson for Brazil, Tosun for Turkey, Kean and Calvert Lewin at youth level. I'm not saying our strikers are top draw but they are a damn site better than we are showing them to be. I'm not sure lashing more money at another striker really helps us. In reality we haven't got the money to go and buy an Aubamyang so we are buying another expensive player who will take time to settle. I'd much rather a manager who is going to prioritise getting the best out of the existing strikers we have. As you have stated that may necessitate a more experienced coach.

I'll be honest I am leaning towards Benitez.

Back page of the Telegraph Sport today.

In tomorrow's Sport section.

Story of the Blues
How Everton - one of England's grandest clubs - became a byword for chaos.

I'd just like the club's representatives, not the supporters, looking and actually behaving like they give a monkey's chuff. From the board and those 'executives' who make deals, to the manager, coaches and playing staff, they all seem swamped in apathy and it's starting to seep into the terraces.
No passion, professionalism, pride or conscience. Every other team seems to at least try. If they go behind they try and fight back, we drop our heads and give up.
We have a lacklustre 'plan A', from top to bottom, we have nothing at all after that.
We're a basket case, a business that doesn't understand its purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.