Top 4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being serious if we lose on Friday to Spurs i would say its not just top 4 thats gone, which was never on anyway but Europe in general, the 4 point gap and goal differance making it 5 points needed, being realistic Europe will be gone.

Europe will be tough considering our goal difference, we are 9 GD worse off than West Ham who is the next team with the lowest GD in the top 8. Its double figures after that....

Form is 3 wins in 11 PL games (13 points from 33) and 4 wins from 13 in all competitions. We are lucky to still be in the top 8! The next game against Arsenal is crucial, they are playing Fulham at home tomorrow and most likely will go to within a point of us.

If you are losing to Southampton, Newcastle twice, Leeds, Fulham & Burnley and only drawing with Burnley, Crystal Palace and Brighton then you do have to be beating the likes of Vila, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham, Leicester, Man Utd and Man City. I think we are doing OK against the top 8/9 teams but that carries a massive risk. I don`t need to tell you that the games against lesser opposition at home and our home form generally has massively cost us this season. Probably cost us Europe, out of everything I thought would cost us before the season started, home form would have been bottom of that list.

At home: 16 games taking just 19 points, our home form ranks us 14 with a GD of -3. 5 wins 4 draws & 7 losses. Not suprisingly the top home teams are City, West Ham, Man Ure, Chelsea, LIverpool, Tottenham & Leicester. (1.19 PPG)

Away: 15 games taking 30 points, away form ranks us 4th with a GD of +6. 9 wins, 3 draws and just 3 losses. The only teams better than us on the road are City, Man Ure and Leicester. (2.00 PPG)

Against bottom 10 teams: 16 games against teams currently in the bottom half of the league which has yielded 30 points from 48 available (1.88 PPG).

Against top 10 teams: 15 games against teams currently in the top 10 of the table has yielded 19 points (1.27 PPG)

3 home games left (3*1.19=3.57) and 4 away games left (4*2.00=8) should give us an estimated 11/12 points taking our total to 60 or 61. What is that good enough for? Still do-able? I guess we will have to wait and see........

At the beginning of the season I was hoping we could finish in the top half of the table. Given our results against the bigger teams it's disappointing that we haven't managed to get higher up the league. It shows a mentality issue in the squad. They can focus against supposedly superior opposition, but not against teams they're expected to beat. It does give me hope for next season though. With 2 or 3 more players with the right mentality we have a decent chance of getting near the top 6.

Run in for Europe.......

1618652925690.png

Last chance saloon next Friday against Arsenal for 7th you feel particularly if Spurs win Saints as they should do midweek would be 4 above us with a much better GD which negates our game in hand - a draw at the Emirates simply aint good enough after last nights gutless collapse at the back.

Still think we can make Top 4 but its now 6 wins and a draw or maybe need to win all 7. To get Europa we need to get 16 points because of our goal difference. To get Confrence League we need 14 points.

Still think we can make Top 4 but its now 6 wins and a draw or maybe need to win all 7. To get Europa we need to get 16 points because of our goal difference. To get Confrence League we need 14 points.

No chance mate - 7th at absolute best and even that depends on the Arsenal game imo considering likes of Arsenal and Leeds are also breathing down our necks.

We've completely thrown Europe away last 3 games - Palace late equalizer, Brighton cowardly performance, throwing 2 goals away yesterday.

We are a squad full of inconsistent cowards.

No chance mate - 7th at absolute best and even that depends on the Arsenal game imo considering likes of Arsenal and Leeds are also breathing down our necks.

We've completely thrown Europe away last 3 games - Palace late equalizer, Brighton cowardly performance, throwing 2 goals away yesterday.

We are a squad full of inconsistent cowards.

Injuries have stung us at the wrong time. I will believe until its impossible. Its highly unlikely and at the minute my head says 7th/8th but football is a strange beast this season. 2 points out of 15 has cost us big time but each game comes along and provides an opportunity for 3 more to the total.

No chance at top 4 that went when Burnley beat us and even going back to the Newcastle defeat at home I knew that top4 was gone from us. As for Europa cup we need at least 5 more wins to get in can't see that either about 8th is where we will finish.

Its funny our home form cost us at least 3rd place this season
Home form and a lack of real work rate and winning mentality during the season vs so called bottom table teams. We did have a chance of top 4 at Christmas but ne era took advantage of poor form of competing teams like chelsea, liverpool and spurs not to mind arsenal all whom will finish above us. It was a real lack of desire and the drive to really go for a win.

The performance last night sums it up. A good performance but we wanted the win. Where was that v Newcastle, west ham, Burnley, palace etc. You get what you deserve. We deserve 9th or 10 place over the season and we will hit that mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.