Too scared to play football ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toffeeslam

Player Valuation: £35m
Having watched Everton this season it seems to me that we just can’t play football in an attacking sense. A completed pass seems to be as rare as unicorns and shots on goal seem to be a mamouth effort for our forwards.

They seem to have the mental strength of a bunch of wet lettuces, Now has happened all season across 3 managers so why is squad just to scared to play football ?

..I wonder if the group we have aren’t capable. I don’t think it’s tactics, I think it’s lack of quality.

Having watched Everton this season it seems to me that we just can’t play football in an attacking sense. A completed pass seems to be as rare as unicorns and shots on goal seem to be a mamouth effort for our forwards.

They seem to have the mental strength of a bunch of wet lettuces, Now has happened all season across 3 managers so why is squad just to scared to play football ?

I think you answered it yourself. It's been the same under 3 managers now so I think the quality's just lacking. Completely agree with @Eggs

We are bereft of confidence and applied talent throughout the squad.

Aside from Pickford, not one player has demonstrated any kind of consistency this season.

I suspect many of us go to Goodison, with no expectation of excitement or entertainment.

Whether it's tactics, personel or confidence our ball retention is horrible. Big Sam is safety first, so is telling full backs and centre backs to lamp it to nobody has made matters worse as we constantly turn over posession. Rooney must start in midfield, the best game we had vs West Ham was him, Gueye and Davies in midfield.

2017, apart from a 3 month spell from January to the end of March has pretty much been an abomination.

These players are proper turd. They were turd under Koeman and continue to be turd under everybody else.

No wonder he sets them up just to try and not lose.

Edit: actually the majority of 2016 was absolute garbage too.

Jan to May under Martinez was grim and Koeman looked like he was steadying the ship but it was dull as dishwater from August until Christmas.

So when you weigh it up, apart from about 3 months we have been mostly garbage for 2 full years.

Last edited:

Kenny, Martina, Lennon, Schneiderlin, Jagielka, Williams, Keane, Gueye and Calvert-Lewin are all poor with the ball at their feet. They all look panicked in possession and this often means we end up going backwards/sideways with no real purpose.

It's a dream for the opposition because you know none of those players are going to go past you and open the game up. Consequently you can easily play on the front foot against us,
I've no idea why more teams haven't done so over recent weeks.

A key theme of Allardyce's press conferences have been him wanting the players to improve in this area but I'm highly skeptical whether this has been worked on at all.

Barely any forward passes get played along the ground and the garbage that gets played high or long is just intercepted. Can barely get anyone forward to even swing a cross in let alone have a few shots on goal.

I'm grateful to get away from the relegation places but we play the most awful "football" in the league i reckon. I just hope next season isn't a continuation of this turgid style we play at the moment.

..I wonder if the group we have aren’t capable. I don’t think it’s tactics, I think it’s lack of quality.

Quite amazing this.

Neither Koeman or Allardyce, despite being experienced, well paid managers, are ever expected to improve the players they already have, either through training or putting them into a system that plays to their strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.