Tony Hibbert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Club should have dealt with it better but he really shouldn't have gone to the media with this, that's annoying. After all, his contract expired, he wasn't sacked.

Agree with all your post.

But I would raise the point that if the club can't treat a long standing Evertonian, with easy access to the media, in a courteous and respectful manner when letting him go what chance someone in less of a privileged position?

Not sure whether you mean people in general, or younger players?

If it's the latter, then I would suggest the PFA would have issues with any hint of mistreatment for the player. In fact, moving away from young players, Schweinsteiger's treatment has been a bit 'iffy', but he's more than able to look after himself and his bank balance, as is Tony.

If you mean people in general, then this really is a topic totally removed from the 'world of football'.
There are so many examples of employees being mistreated by employers. However, there are also examples in the opposite direction(I've seen both). No doubt we could talk about that problem for a while, but maybe in a different thread.

The 'easy access to the media' part, is slightly misleading. Tony H hasn't been under contract at EFC since June(?), why now that they bring this up? Any chance there's an agenda there? Maybe a way of unsettling players? Not being funny tho', but the Daily Fail? The most right wing paper and he gives the interview to that?

So his AGENT didnt contact the club then.

He expected a new contract as his AGENT hadnt informed him that he hadnt proactively contacted the club.

Now hes crying because we havent given him a gold clock but yet are allowing him to use the facilities....

Thats pathetic....

I was under a contract and one day i emailed the Global Head and asked him something. He replied with the news that my contract hadnt been renewed over email....and i should have been informed 2 weeks ago.

Did i cry off to people? No...just took it in my stride...and this guy doesnt ever need to work again.

This is a prefect example of the bubble professional footballers live in. To come out with that statement is naive at best.
The last 3-4 seasons he has not featured at all, he will of known his Everton career was at en end. During this time you would assume he was paid handsomely. Maybe he would of been better proactively finding another club instead of waiting for the inevitable. It must be tough on him having to use the free state of the art facilities (provided by nasty Everton) for rehab at finch farm, maybe he should consider going elsewhere and paying for it like any normal person would have too. - unbelievable.

A lot of people blowing on here that hibbert is out of order. I disagree. It's shocking him and Osman got treated that way. A quick phone call from the hierarchy costs nothing. Him and Osman never created a fuss, at least publicly, when they were not in the team, always gave 100%, and are solid evertonions. They did deserve better

A lot of people blowing on here that hibbert is out of order. I disagree. It's shocking him and Osman got treated that way. A quick phone call from the hierarchy costs nothing. Him and Osman never created a fuss, at least publicly, when they were not in the team, always gave 100%, and are solid evertonions. They did deserve better
They did deserve better, as anyone would regardless of their history with us, ability, et cetera. Nobody at all should be treated that way, end of

Considering he's pretty much been a mute for his whole career, I'd prefer to take him on his word...still not the best way to go about it, though. Also comes off as some opportunistic journalism too, just for the simple fact that he's said more in that one article than he has in his 2+ decades at the club so he may have thought it was off the record. Who knows, it's just disappointing all around.

Considering he's pretty much been a mute for his whole career, I'd prefer to take him on his word...still not the best way to go about it, though. Also comes off as some opportunistic journalism too, just for the simple fact that he's said more in that one article than he has in his 2+ decades at the club so he may have thought it was off the record. Who knows, it's just disappointing all around.
...in a nutshell

The club should definitely personally talk to anyone they let go. However, I am willing to bet this was an oversight. This happened to be at a very busy time for the club, and the ONLY two people who probably should have done this, are Kenwright and Elstone. They were probably so preoccupied with Koeman coming on board and putting together staff, it passed them by.

But also Hibbert is way out of line. First, he insinuates he expected another contract. WHAAAAAAT? Second, you notice that he says things got less nice after Moyes left. Basically, he was never one who could handle a tough team and situation, and survived as long as he did because we just had NO one else. The very problem with Everton over the years has been the soft types, the coaches like Martinez who praise the team after a dreadful performance. Bring in someone brutally honest, but truthful, people who expect more, who demand that players and coaches perform FOR THE FANS, and you get hurt feelings. Hibbo's feelings got hurt, and now hes crying to the media.

So what if Everton becomes a little less nice, and instead demands results? Id say thats a very big step in the right direction, provided they also dont lose the basic courtesy that I think just got overlooked here.

A phone call, email etc would of been the least you would expect in a similar situation. But there wasn't and it's not that shocking really, disappointing maybe. I don't think it warrants a piece will a national paper.
He needs to get on with it without the whining.

As I wrote to the Mail and the [Poor language removed] comments .Everton is the peoples club but we don't claim to be the players club .The peoples club is what the club does outside of football not how it treats the players and for that alone he has pissed me off ,disregarding all the mostly unpaid work lots of people do on behalf of the club ,is not on Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.