2019/20 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. You need buckets of self belief in order to make it at the top level. Same with Holgate, that lad believes in his ability and was telling managers he is better at CB for the last 3 years. The exact mentality we lack.

I think at 21 years old his mentality is quite good.

- I'm a good footballer.
- I want to play week-in-week-out.
- I know I have to keep improving to show that.

Exactly what we want, isn't it?

Remarkable that he’s got better from the age of 19 to the age of 21, I’ve never heard of this phenomenon before.

Thats probably because you’ve been watching DCL9 for the past 3 years. But it’s not unusual for people that are good at kicking a football when they’re 19 to be better at it by the age of 21

Has done well since coming back in to the team.
Well played Tom lad. Even made Garth crooks team of the week, a high watermark for many a player....

Hoping he can continue to build and grow in to a great player for the club.

Garth’s team of the week? So basically it means he’s scored. That team of the week is the most pointless thing in the world apart a VAR check to see if the RS are going to be punished.

Garth’s team of the week? So basically it means he’s scored. That team of the week is the most pointless thing in the world apart a VAR check to see if the RS are going to be punished.

Can’t stand the man.
He went on to say in the article that ‘everton won and yet Everton fans are still complaining’ or words to that effect. Horrible man.

I once heard him described as a ‘fat, bulgy-eyed meff‘! That is the image I get in my mind every time he has been mentioned since :)
Garth... I used to work with a guy who was an ex-pro and played with Crooks, had a giggle telling me about how Crooks had elocution lessons so he could speak proper BBC English. I've always thought of him since as a fake.

Tom Davies shining again as the youngster takes on England U21 armband

20924068-0-image-a-65_1573590334589.jpg

Tom Davies bowled into St George's Park clutching a box of Yorkshire Tea this week. England do not stock his favourite, instead serving a more premium brand.

'Yorkshire, all day,' he laughed. 'I've always had it.' This was the most relaxed Davies has appeared all season, comfortable in himself ahead of a trip to Albania that will act as a culture shock to many of Aidy Boothroyd's Under 21s.

In an indication to what extent, Boothroyd flashed up a picture of a horse eating from a bin during their team meeting on Monday afternoon. The snap had been taken during a recce of Shkoder, where England will aim to remain top of their Euro 2021 qualifying group and quieten any naysayers.
Tom Davies is beginning to shine again after a miserable 18 months for club and country.

Davies, who has taken the captain's armband for three of their four games this term, is beginning to shine again. That opening goal at Southampton last weekend was his first for Everton since May 2018.

Times have been tough - minutes hard to come by - but, as four consecutive starts coincided with the club's upturn in form, he is coming out the other side. Marco Silva claimed the central midfielder is showing increasing maturity.

'I've had to sort of grow up quite quick,' Davies said. 'There has been a lot of change of managers. Now I've realised that I need to step up. Being a local lad and knowing what the club is about, I need to do that.

'I'm still a fan at the end of the day. I want to see the club win things and when we're not in a good situation it's disappointing for me as a player and a fan. The start of the season was tough, not getting in the team, but I've come to realise that it's about keeping a level.

20924068-0-image-a-54_1573589992688.jpg

The 21-year-old scored his first Everton goal since May 2018 in their win over Southampton
'There is a responsibility on the local lads, but it's a good one because I'm playing for the team I love. I'd never use that as an excuse or a reason for anything. I'm loving it every time I go out there.'

That is for club and country. Davies anchors midfield for the Under 21s, whereas Silva wants him in a more progressive position. His composure in the role for Boothroyd shows the 21-year-old can play any which way.
His recent displays even promoted a debate on TalkSPORT as to whether he is a better player than Steven Gerrard was at the same age. Davies wisely batted away the comparison.

20924210-0-image-a-55_1573590132604.jpg

Davies has been quick to dispel comparisons made between himself and Steven Gerrard
'That is just good to hear. In my head I know I can be a top quality player,' he said. 'It's in my hands to dictate that. I want to see how far I can get. I'm never going to settle.'

The impact of Andre Gomes's horrific ankle injury is still being felt around Goodison Park. Davies had been flourishing alongside the Portugal international and revealed his elder had sent him a congratulatory text after Saturday's win at Southampton.
'We're all really upset for him,' Davies said. 'He's doing well, his operation went well and he seemed in good spirits. He's doing well and hopefully he might be back before the end of the season. We had a good partnership. He'll come back stronger than ever.'

Interesting comments from Peter Reid. It’s the “ he’s good with or without the ball” bit which often gets overlooked . As you’d expect at his age he has the energy to get around the pitch more than most of our midfielders, and he’s usually the one filling in the space after we’ve lost the ball, preventing the opposition having an easy run at our defence.

“ Back to the Echo, and Everton legend Peter Reid has hailed the “terrific” form of Toffees midfielder Tom Davies.

Davies headed the opening goal of the Blues’ win at St Mary’s last weekend.

“He's shown a desire, he's looking to hit forward passes, he's good with or without the ball,” Reid added.

"He's, in my opinion, been Everton's best player recently."

Status
Not open for further replies.