Thomas Gravesen

Status
Not open for further replies.
My memories of Gravesen
Signed with a nest head grandad hair
Tackled Smicer from behind giving away a pen and being sent off against them lot
The pass for "that Rooney" goal
Penno against Birmingham in his good 6 months
Signed for Madrid

Not a particularly spectacular Everton career in my eyes. Only fondly remembered as he was a bit of nut-job

Nuisance in midfield, but nothing special. My dad called him a slightly more technical Robbie Savage.

I can barely think of someone he was less like. And there were times, in our darkest days, when I wanted us to sign Savage.

Gravesen was unreal on his day, technically superb, good passer, great dribbler, decent shot. If he had the ball, he kept it. The problem was with his positional sense and tackling, he wasn't particularly good at eitger. We stumbled across the perfect formation for him, the 5 man midfield with Carsley and Cahill being the legs and him allowed to wander.

We were 3rd at Christmas with 40 points. We sold Gravesend in Jan, and while we replaced him with Arteta, it took him a while to get going and he didn't really shine till the next season.

I honestly think we could have got 3rd if Gravesend had stayed and we hadn't signed Beattie, who didn't fit the team or style.

So yeah, good player Tommy and wasn't the same once he left.

I didn't think Grav was that good even during his first stint here. He was probably slightly better than Nyarko and Gemmill in centre mid, but worse than Carsley (who was underrated).

Status
Not open for further replies.