Thomas Gravesen aka Mad Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisPP

Player Valuation: Free Transfer
hi all,
hope you’re well.
i'm an author based in glasgow, and i'm writing about a book on the life and career of thomas gravesen - otherwise known as mad dog.
he was a colourful character, on and off the pitch, a very interesting guy - playing here for celtic but also everton, hamburg and real madrid.
i've spoken to ex-players and managers who worked with him, but i was trying to reach out to any fans or punters who had memories of him, or even met him or know of any of his crazy antics, which are legendary.
i’d be able to give you a credit in the book of course or even quote you direct possibly.
i’m just trying to pull together as much material as i can, as i feel football is missing real characters now and thomas was such a great guy, so it’s from a fan’s point of view about how much of a maverick he was.
thanks a lot - cheers.

hi all,
hope you’re well.
i'm an author based in glasgow, and i'm writing about a book on the life and career of thomas gravesen - otherwise known as mad dog.
he was a colourful character, on and off the pitch, a very interesting guy - playing here for celtic but also everton, hamburg and real madrid.
i've spoken to ex-players and managers who worked with him, but i was trying to reach out to any fans or punters who had memories of him, or even met him or know of any of his crazy antics, which are legendary.
i’d be able to give you a credit in the book of course or even quote you direct possibly.
i’m just trying to pull together as much material as i can, as i feel football is missing real characters now and thomas was such a great guy, so it’s from a fan’s point of view about how much of a maverick he was.
thanks a lot - cheers.

I think he went on to manage Birmingham.

There will be thousands of Gravesen stories lol

My favourite, personally was when we had that mad game against Kharkiv at Goodison, after the game we were getting pictures in the car park and Gravesen came out and chatted to us. Told us beat up the ref when he left the stadium, before Victor Anichebe got chance lol

He wasn’t joking of course , I could only imagine the hysteria if that happened these days and was caught on film

Edit - not to mention it wasn’t exactly like we got robbed either, I think we had 3 pens and they finished the game with 9 men. Just Andy Johnson kept lashing his pens in the street end, the one he did score was ordered to be retaken, that was the issue

My favourite, personally was when we had that mad game against Kharkiv at Goodison, after the game we were getting pictures in the car park and Gravesen came out and chatted to us. Told us beat up the ref when he left the stadium, before Victor Anichebe got chance lol

He wasn’t joking of course , I could only imagine the hysteria if that happened these days and was caught on film

oh crumbs...i take that back!

Was at his first game - pre-season friendly. Ball was down by the Gwladys Street about to go out for a throw-in and for no reason whatsoever Gravo just steamrollered through a defender and nearly killed him.

Would have been a straight red in any other game - whole crowd winced.

Massively overrated. Sitting in the TB you saw just how indisciplined he was. Not saying he didn’t have ability, he did & when he was good he was good, but no question Carsley made him look better than he actually was.

Real Madrid signing him has to be one of the most bizarre signings in history.

Tried to message you Chris but it wouldn’t let me. I know an ex Celtic player who has loads of stories about him.

Bit of a liability really, I remember a spell when he first signed, and in particular a game against Sunderland in 2001, steamrolled through Claudio Reyna after about 30 seconds, didn’t get a yellow, so about 3 minutes later went through either Bernt Haas or Michael Gray and did get one, went through someone else after 5 minutes and they took him off lol

hi all,
hope you’re well.
thanks a lot - cheers.

I sincerely hope that you have a good proofreader. That is, grammatically, an unmitigated disaster.

I remembered him in a pre season at Blackburn getting sent off, Walter Smith chased him down the tunnel, bet some serious words were spoken there.

Remember when he use to wave his arms at the crowd trying to get some noise out if Evertonians, he looked a nutter the way he would do it

I went to Goodison one afternoon to buy tickets for an away game (Bristol Rovers in the League Cup I think). Graveson was doing a photo shoot with a football on Goodison Road. I walked passed him saying "hello Tommy" and he stopped his photo shoot and asked me what tickets I had just bought.

I was a shy [Poor language removed] as a teenager and I just told him and walked off. There's no doubt in my mind he stopped me for a chat and I've always regretted not staying for a few minutes for a chat.

My loss but it's something I have always appreciated him doing to be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.