This week will determine if Europe is a possibility for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moomin

Player Valuation: £90m
Two crunch games this week against opponents on paper that we should win. But, for some reason these type of games have been our achilles heel.

How refreshing this season to see us compete and win against the so called big six and even ending the hoodoo of actually winning at Anfield.

Home game against a Southampton team devoid of form and with our superb away form against a relegated looking team of West Brom should surely be 6 points in the bag???????

At certain points this season the hope has started to build to only be let down by poor displays ( Fulham and Newcastle spring to mind )

Win these games and Europe will be looking likely.

4 points would'nt be the end of the world but anything less will be detrimental to our European hopes.

Its make or break this week.

No games in the PL are a guaranteed 6 points.
You just have to hope the win last week will spur the players on to achieve greater heights.
That said, it was only Liverpool at Anfield, even Brighton and Burnley achieved the same.
It’s a big week for this group of players and time for them to show their true credentials.
I think we are moving in the right direction and going to run into form at the right time in the season.

It is. If we get 6 points from the next 2 Chelsea is almost a free hit. If we use the squad we'll like Ancelotti has been we should have half a chance 9 days since our last game so everyone should be fresh. However Everton being Everton we will likely trip ourselves up. I hope Allardyce sees the Newcastle game as more important and rests a few.

Two crunch games this week against opponents on paper that we should win. But, for some reason these type of games have been our achilles heel.

How refreshing this season to see us compete and win against the so called big six and even ending the hoodoo of actually winning at Anfield.

Home game against a Southampton team devoid of form and with our superb away form against a relegated looking team of West Brom should surely be 6 points in the bag???????

At certain points this season the hope has started to build to only be let down by poor displays ( Fulham and Newcastle spring to mind )

4 points would'nt be the end of the world but anything less will be detrimental to our European hopes.

We’re beating Southampton. WBA might be tricky seeing as big Sam has them better drilled now. 4-6 points for the mighty blues and firmly in the top 4 hunt.

No not really, you could say that about any couple games, 6 points is 6 points and I don’t care who we get them from unless it’s Liverpool! lol

No gratuitous tinkering
No drop in on-field attitude
We've had 9 days off to rest mind, body and hammy
So...
No excuses either.

We’re beating Southampton. WBA might be tricky seeing as big Sam has them better drilled now. 4-6 points for the mighty blues and firmly in the top 4 hunt.

Sounded to me like Allardyce was talking about resting a lot of his 1st team players against us as it sounded to me like he'll target the Newcastle game on Sunday as more winnable.

We could have a very good chance to get 2 wins this week and that will set us up nicely for Chelsea away.

The normal top 4 are sorting themselves out and we haven't created a buffer while they were throwing away points.. Unless we are ruthless now to the end top 4 is pipe dream. 6 points next two games to keep in with a shout. This week is absolutely make or break

Sounded to me like Allardyce was talking about resting a lot of his 1st team players against us as it sounded to me like he'll target the Newcastle game on Sunday as more winnable.

We could have a very good chance to get 2 wins this week and that will set us up nicely for Chelsea away.

I’m oddly confident this is the week we put our foot down. There were some mitigating circumstances (not really acceptable ones but still) around the Fulham and Newcastle games. Players missing, quick turnaround after previous games, players having to be rotated or just clearly not fresh against desperate opposition. This time we’re fresh, players are fit, opposition are missing some key players. Completely different scenario.

Watching United v Chelsea it was clear how much European exertions are taking out of all teams this season. Liverpool’s players looked goosed against Sheffield United. Leicester look like they’re ready to implode. Chelsea and Liverpool don’t look like either of them could put a run of games together and sustain it in Europe. Even United aren’t nailed on in the top 4 yet. We have an absolutely brilliant opportunity and out the lot of them we have the best manager.

Still 42 points to play for so a hell of lot of twists and turns yet, unexpected wins and unexpected defeats coming.
These 2 games if we win puts us right in the mix and possibly sitting in the CL spot by next weekend, we would then be only 4 points off 2nd which at this late stage in the season unbelievable.
Its hard not to look too far ahead and get excited.
So for now the by hook or by crook we need 3 points tonight.

I’m oddly confident this is the week we put our foot down. There were some mitigating circumstances (not really acceptable ones but still) around the Fulham and Newcastle games. Players missing, quick turnaround after previous games, players having to be rotated or just clearly not fresh against desperate opposition. This time we’re fresh, players are fit, opposition are missing some key players. Completely different scenario.

Watching United v Chelsea it was clear how much European exertions are taking out of all teams this season. Liverpool’s players looked goosed against Sheffield United. Leicester look like they’re ready to implode. Chelsea and Liverpool don’t look like either of them could put a run of games together and sustain it in Europe. Even United aren’t nailed on in the top 4 yet. We have an absolutely brilliant opportunity and out the lot of them we have the best manager.

Yep I think the same. We've actually got everyone back so have some serious options now.

I think that win last week against the rs, that's the shot in the arm needed to really fire them up. We need to come out of the traps tonight and show everyone we mean business.

The West Ham game at Goodison on New Years day. I missed that off from my original post, that was a massive let down especially given we had a few extras days rest due to the cancelled game against City.
Weirdly enough I reckon having that game postponed helped us in the derby. I reckon playing City the same week helped us prepare for the pressing and possession football that Sizeable Red play.

Status
Not open for further replies.