This season vs Martinez 13/14 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that must be noted when comparing the 13/14 side to the current, Roberto was lucky with injuries that season. Only long-term injuries from memory that season were to Kone, and Oviedo's leg break in the January of that season. Think Pienaar was injured for a period too.

Our critical players that season, Lukaku, Barkley, Mirallas, Deulofeu, Osman, Barry, McCarthy, Jagielka, Distin, Baines, Coleman, and Howard, for the most part remained injury-free.

Don't think it can be under-estimated how much we've missed Allan especially this season, along with at times Richy, DCL, Rodriguez, etc.

Bobby got found out towards the end of the season. It was a shame, as he came really close to fourth place. But once coaches worked him out we never really threatened ever again.
Yeah. I think the Moyes effect wore off on the defenders and, as you say, the Martinez effect on the attack was sussed out.

We got pretty much a whole season out of it though, which now looks like it’ll knock this one into a cocked hat. Starting to get that familiar sinking feeling of “let’s just get this one over with and hope the next one is better”. Everton, that.

"It's easy getting 72 points".

Ask a manager who's won almost everything in the game how easy he's finding it with a squad of players that cost 10 x more than Martinez spent.

Miles apart.

That 13-14 team wasn’t scared to play football against whoever it was, results didn’t always go to plan like at Anfield but we played everyone off the park at home bar City and out played Arsenal and United away.

This current crop well, it’s boring negative and am fed up of it.

One thing that must be noted when comparing the 13/14 side to the current, Roberto was lucky with injuries that season. Only long-term injuries from memory that season were to Kone, and Oviedo's leg break in the January of that season. Think Pienaar was injured for a period too.

Our critical players that season, Lukaku, Barkley, Mirallas, Deulofeu, Osman, Barry, McCarthy, Jagielka, Distin, Baines, Coleman, and Howard, for the most part remained injury-free.

Don't think it can be under-estimated how much we've missed Allan especially this season, along with at times Richy, DCL, Rodriguez, etc.

We had one very significant long term injury that season and without it I am convinced we would have clinched a top four place.

Gerard Deulefeou was just getting going when he was badly injured home to, I think, Fulham.

That was in December and we never saw him play again until April.

And don’t forget Baines was out for about six weeks or two months....that is why Oviedo was playing at the time of his injury.

We had one very significant long term injury that season and without it I am convinced we would have clinched a top four place.

Gerard Deulefeou was just getting going when he was badly injured home to, I think, Fulham.

That was in December and we never saw him play again until April.

And don’t forget Baines was out for about six weeks or two months....that is why Oviedo was playing at the time of his injury.

I stand corrected. Still...... compared to us this season, we got off lightly in 13/14. Helped as well that the likes of Oviedo and Mirallas that season stepped in and did a capable job when called upon.

I nreality, those players had big hearts (for Moyes) but went missing for other managers subsequently and had limited technical ability.

I suspect that Ancelotti would never have agreed to sign if he'd been told he had to build something on that lot with no cash to buy players other than to sell Fellaini and then Stones.

Martinez didn’t sell Stones?

Status
Not open for further replies.