This season vs Martinez 13/14 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah you could tell it was going downhill even by the end of Martinez’s first season. Carlo just seems to be getting started.

Martinez had Stones Barkley and Lukaku, was allowed to then add Barry and McCarthy to an already very good squad. Carlo has had to take a squad that was on its knees and almost start from scratch.

Carlo is also operating in a season that has Peps City, Klopp’s Liverpool, Mourinho’s Spurs. The fact that Manuel Pellegrini won the 13/14 season shows you the strength of the league then.

There were very good games in 13/14 no doubt, and when we beat Arsenal I thought maybe this was it. But watching us get battered by Villa, concede one, concede a pen, then save it and win the game from two goals from subs in extra time, or the Sunderland game when we didn’t have a shot on target but won from a deflected goal against the worst team in the league, similarly the Cardiff game, it just felt like we were riding momentum with absolutely no basis for it towards the end. So it proved when it all fell down the season after.

I joined GOT that season, it was that good I just had to talk about it.

I've been off GOT since... until this season, which is that good I just have to talk about it.

We had some side under The Phenomenal One, and good squad depth, and performed to the quality. This year, whilst we have the quality from certain individuals, I think in general the squad isn't as accomplished and on the whole we are overperforming under a more pragmatic brand of footy (testimony to the class of Carlo). Next year will be when we crack out the sexy football in abundance

James Rodriguez alone makes this season better, Just watching such an absolute world class player do bits for your team is amazing, I love Football again when I watch him play.

My overriding memory of that Martinez season isn’t how great it was, it’s how many stupid draws we got and what could have been. I don’t think they were quite the great days we romanticise about myself.

If Moyes or Carlo had produced it it would have been how they’d bottled getting 4th, we’d gone out of the cups early on yet again, and there were too many draws. As it was Martinez though and he came with a big sky approval sticker because he wasn’t Moyes and didn’t value defence at all then loads just adored him and still do even now despite the fact he was an utterly abysmal football manager and still is.

I loved that first Martinez season but I don't necessarily remember all the lovely football people are reminiscing about. It often felt like we were pretty pedestrian but we just seemed to have this miraculous ability to pull things out of the bag with individual brilliance. I honestly thought we were going to achieve things just because of that, we seemed lucky and thats a great thing to be. I always think there were plenty of warning signs of what was to come in that first season when you look back at it.

Martinez peaked pretty quickly and went slowly down hill.
This season is all about halting that downhill slide that Martinez started, we're playing ugly and seem to be matching Martinez's points average, that season we had a record points haul and were nowhere near 4th in the end.
70 something this season and were in the CL mix.

If Moyes or Carlo had produced it it would have been how they’d bottled getting 4th, we’d gone out of the cups early on yet again, and there were too many draws. As it was Martinez though and he came with a big sky approval sticker because he wasn’t Moyes and didn’t value defence at all then loads just adored him and still do even now despite the fact he was an utterly abysmal football manager and still is.
Agreed. CL was there for the taking and Martinez knew that. Everybody just got sucked in with his personality and now treat it as halcyon days even though 4 months after that they all hated him and realised him for what he actually was.

Agreed. CL was there for the taking and Martinez knew that. Everybody just got sucked in with his personality and now treat it as halcyon days even though 4 months after that they all hated him and realised him for what he actually was.

Sadly not all, there was a lot of triumphant ‘I told you so’ when we beat Southampton 3-0 away at the start of his third season. Apparently now that he’d bought Cleverly, Kone was back fit, and he had moved out the loser Moyes players then it was all going to work.

There were a lot of clutch free kicks and wonder goals in that 13-14 season that helped pad the points tally... the kind of thing that is never sustainable.

This year they’re getting wins through good execution (especially set pieces), defensive work rate, and that little bit of quality from players like James. It’s not as pretty but it’s more durable I think.

We also had Baines and Coleman adding 4-5 goals each too from memory. There were so many goal outlets in that team with Lukaku, Mirallas, Naismith, Barkley, Deulofeu and then the two full-backs.

Some of the football was exceptional, was such a shame we couldn't build on it. We've not played as well this season but come away with the points which is the thing that makes me most optimistic. Won't forget that tie against Dynamo Kiev the following season, such an opportunity in Europe and we got absolutley walloped - Lukaku's run for one of the goals was unbelievable.

We played better football in 2013/14 but we have a better quality of player this season

We got knocked out of the League Cup in the third round that season, we made the quarters this

We got to the FA Cup quarters that season, all being well we have a chance of matching that at minimum if we turn up against Sheff Weds and Spurs or Wycombe

We relied heavily on Lukaku’s goals that season, we are banking heavily on DCL’s goals this season

Let's be honest, the first Martinez season was awesome, ok it went sour later but the hope and enjoyment was something we had been waiting for.

Exactly.

We were playing sparkling football under Bobby that season.

Whilst very welcome to be smack bang in the Title chase and winning so many away games, the football isn’t exactly of a vintage variety.

The biggest difference IMO is the expectation....by this stage in 2013/14 myself and most of us on here went into every matchday fully expecting an Everton victory.

And in a “School of Science” manner of playing.

These days we are usually trepidous going into games and often we look back on games wondering how the heck we came away with three points.

I think a more accurate comparison is with the 1974/75 season.

We played dour, attritional football under Billy Bingham and there were about eight teams within 3 or 4 points at the top (2 points for a win in those days) but we were always in the van and should have actually been crowned champions that season.

I enjoy looking at the league table these days and if it wasn’t for City suddenly looking ominous I could well see Carlo doing in 2021 what Billy couldn’t do in 1975.

And get us over the winning line :)

COYBB

Status
Not open for further replies.