This season vs Martinez 13/14 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
13/14 played better football over the course of a season thus far, although with a fully fit squad this team has shown it can play. This to me however feels far more sustainable due to the manager which is making me more excited about the potential over the next few seasons, so enjoying this one more.

Martinez's first season was good football to watch, we've had glimpses of it this season but we look like we will improve and we look strong at the back with a really good group of young defenders with even the likes of Branthwaite and Nkounkou waiting to come through, where under Martinez it was an ageing Moyes defence with Martinez adding Alcatraz and Williams, it was always going one way

They are different in so many different ways.

Roberto made it clear he wanted to build us up from youth and play beautiful football. That, coupled with the fear every Evertonian had, due to Moyes' and co, belittling us for 4-5 years, i think a fair few thought we'd struggle, and quite simply, it was a beautiful season, which wouldn't have happened without Roberto, but equally stopped short of CL because of Roberto's inexperience.

This season, we've hired a manager with one of the finest pedigree's in Europe. Yet, I don't feel excited, purely because we know these results are happening probably just because of Ancelotti, and if he walked tomorrow, we'd still have the uninterested, lazy player who have hampered since the Roberto era started to crumble... i.e. Sigurdsson.
I think we're winning ugly, and it's hard to tell if we're genuinely progressing, or we're taking the best of a strange season. Players who have possibly underwhelmed like Michael Keane, Iwobi, Calvert-Lewin, Coleman (in recent seasons), are really stepping up and playing their role. We've signed James, who's blockbuster and continuously strengthened with signings like Allan, Doucoure and Godfrey, it feels like we won't just be a flash in the pan, but more mainstay and that's what excites me.

For record.

After 17 games of 13-14, we had just beaten Swansea to go 5th with 34 points.
After 17 games of 20-21, we have just beaten Wolves 2-1 away to go 4th with 32 points.

That first season under Martinez was magical. Some of the best football I’d ever seen us play in my life time. Whole team just seemed to ooze confidence. We were so lethal when attacking, bags of pace and directness, we had that perfect balance in midfield that allowed us to turn defence in to attack in seconds it was a joy to watch. It’s quite sad what happened the seasons afterwards.

I think we've got more points currently but a couple of things

We were playing some decent togger under Martinez at that point
There were fans in the ground so every time I look back on any of those games the world just looks a better place compared to watching games in empty stadiums now and the backdrop to what's going on.

Still, let's hope we keep winning and smash that magical 72 Bobby barrier!
In summary @longers Martinez is winning the crowds, passing, fond memories and the Jason Derullo steering wheel alternative table.

Sniff it Carlo.

I think the key difference is we’ve been winning games in different ways this season and Ancelotti has set us up different when it’s been called for.

From memory, there was only really the Arsenal game in which Martinez made any changes to how we approached the game. This stubbornness to adapt eventually became his downfall when teams figured out how to play against us.
And the fact Martinez inherited a very fit SAS drilled top six Moyes side. A team so good the premier league champions came for the manager of said team.

While Carlo inherited an established top 13 side with Davies and Sigurdsson.

This season, we've hired a manager with one of the finest pedigree's in Europe. Yet, I don't feel excited, purely because we know these results are happening probably just because of Ancelotti, and if he walked tomorrow, we'd still have the uninterested, lazy player who have hampered since the Roberto era started to crumble... i.e. Sigurdsson.

That's interesting as Siggy was signed a full year after Martinez became Belgium Manager

Could you explain why Roberto was still signing players for us over a year after he was sacked please.

Status
Not open for further replies.