The stench of mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats mediocre about taking a club circulating the drain to relegation, having all your best players sold every season and barely seeing any of the money back, and leading them to European qualification and a cup finals against rivals outspending you by a humongous multiplier?

Making nothing of those opportunities and watching clubs that spent even less actually winning trophies in that time....

Good synopsis. Sadly they look mentally weak away from Goodison. The style of football is OK but it needs to be intensified with grit and determination which sadly it isnt.
We lost to Bournemouth away from home. So what? It's been happening for the last 20 years this type of result.

Do we need the melodrama every time we lose a game?
So what?Ye, we do need this melodrama every time we lose a game, we shouldn't be getting beat by the mighty Bournemouth and Sheffield United, especially without any fight or passion.

I assume people have been working hard on this thread but at risk of leaving a turd in the punch bowl, it's the extremities that emit a stench. Mediocrity just smells like banality, which is to say, undistinguished.

Sorry to be pedantic but I think it's warranted, given the important cultural work we're doing here.

It's amazing how quickly those performances at the end of last season are forgotten. I was also depressed by the overall performance at Bournemouth but it takes time. Losing Gana, not getting Zouma, and Gmbamin getting injured are massive blows as they have all contributed to the erratic performances so far this season. I'm not so sure now if our "easy" start to the season has helped because there was a general feeling that we'd be comfortably in the top 4 by now. The one positive thing is that it looks like there is only one team that seems to be uncatchable.
Ye, it does take time but it also takes some effort

It's started:

“It is not the moment for anyone to hide,” Silva said. “I said it inside the dressing room, too [after the Sheffield United defeat] – there is nowhere we can hide, we have to show stronger character, personality. Unfortunately, in some moments, we didn’t see that. Now I don’t want anyone hiding, not me, not them. It is a moment for us to go and play football and to take responsibility as well.

Starting to at least take the blame, but blaming the players HE PICKS!

weve had one the easiest starts on paer that weve had in years and are lying 11th in the table..

this already tells me that we are in for a very long hard season.

dropping points to these teams so early on will impact us at the end of the season bigtime, esp if we are miraculously in the running for Europe

Not "one of the easiest", Frank.

The honest to God "easiest" looking start in living memory.

That is how disappointing this opening six match spell has been...and it doesn't look look like ending in the next two games.

Not "one of the easiest", Frank.

The honest to God "easiest" looking start in living memory.

That is how disappointing this opening six match spell has been...and it doesn't look look like ending in the next two games.

We should have had a minimum 13 points from the first 6 games and now be 5 points clear of Spurs and United in 2nd.

Instead we are 3 points from the bottom 3. I don't see Villa or Wolves remaining in the bottom 3 and Watford are also capable of climbing the table.

The way we are playing, every team in the league will consider us a good chance of a win.

This is the club that was happy for a badge that looked like it had been made by a toddler on clip art to be the official crest of the club.

It couldn’t even release its third kit in time for the new season so had to start in last season’s kit.

It releases YouTube highlights of Everton losses with glee on its own channel.

It revelled for years in being ‘best of the rest’.

It hires managers who have failed with clubs who finish below us.

It’s now building a stadium smaller than all of the top 6s current stadiums.

There’s no surprise that the players can’t be bothered either.

The board of directors at Everton is a disgrace. Kenwright Woods Baxendale Harris and probably the next layer of management down as well should have been out of the door with Elstone and a new team bought in. Instead the regime that made the PowerPoints for Elstone to manage the decline of the club and fan expectations are now supposedly working to deliver us back to the top of the English game. They’re not capable of it and more worryingly I don’t think they actually want to do it. If they did they wouldn’t do all of the above.

This is the club that was happy for a badge that looked like it had been made by a toddler on clip art to be the official crest of the club.

It couldn’t even release its third kit in time for the new season so had to start in last season’s kit.

The board of directors at Everton is a disgrace. Kenwright Woods Baxendale Harris and probably the next layer of management down as well should have been out of the door with Elstone and a new team bought in. Instead the regime that made the PowerPoints for Elstone to manage the decline of the club and fan expectations are now supposedly working to deliver us back to the top of the English game. They’re not capable of it and more worryingly I don’t think they actually want to do it. If they did they wouldn’t do all of the above.

and this is why I am completely disillusioned with the club …

weve turned from plucky little underdogs who would would fight for a point in the hope that we could crack that top 4 , giving it everything, to club run to make profit (via down graded stadium ) for the new owner. it sickens me

there is NO desire to win anything on the pitch. NONE

we actually hired a DOF who was renowned for finding cheap players at PSV in the hope they would come good. we all know bout the few ones that did come good but there must literally be hundreds that didn't under his 10 years + as their DOF.

look at our business this summer... dreadful and we are short allover the pitch... but atleast Moshiri didn't have to break out another few million

this isn't the Everton I used to love

Agree with some of that but unfair regarding the Stadium for example. You've focused solely on a negative (Capacity - and I agree it's too low) ignoring the positive aspects like the location and design we're going for. A lack of ambition for the Stadium would have been on the edge of the City with a bland and standard design. Instead we've gone for the waterfront and got Meis to plan an atmospheric stadium, taking inspiration from Spurs and Dortmund rather than Bolton and Man City's style of modern stadium. The club deserves credit for that.

and this is why I am completely disillusioned with the club …

weve turned from plucky little underdogs who would would fight for a point in the hope that we could crack that top 4 , giving it everything, to club run to make profit (via down graded stadium ) for the new owner. it sickens me

there is NO desire to win anything on the pitch. NONE

we actually hired a DOF who was renowned for finding cheap players at PSV in the hope they would come good. we all know bout the few ones that did come good but there must literally be hundreds that didn't under his 10 years + as their DOF.

look at our business this summer... dreadful and we are short allover the pitch... but atleast Moshiri didn't have to break out another few million

this isn't the Everton I used to love
I don't think that is fair or correct.
Large amounts of money have been made available and spent on players in the last three years that we could only have dreamed about before that.
We are building a new statement and whereas I would like it to have a bigger capacity I understand and accept the argument for the lesser capacity.

If the role of the DOF was to sign the most expensive and best players available then most of us could have applied for the job. We have seen that all clubs are changing their recruitment policies , moving away from expensive signings to academy players or young players signed before they become too expensive. We do have good young players at the club and have made money from the sale of others.

In general, I think most policies adopted by the club are sensible with one exception... appointing the manager.

I do hope that Marco Silva gets through this rough patch and proves to be a wonderful manager but I don't see it and there has been very little in his managerial history to suggest it would be any different.

I believe that we need to establish ourselves as a top six side and to do this we need a manager with a pedigree at the top level.
We have already spent enough money hiring and firing manager that would allowed us to have Guardiola and Klopp as joint managers at no extra cost

Status
Not open for further replies.