The stench of mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have a mediocre squad, a mediocre manager, neither or both ?

The start to our season has not been what we wanted but it isn't time to push the panic button yet. Yes, I want results but at first I will accept performances and if the performance is right the results will follow.

Would a different manager( Pep, Klopp or Pochettino) do much better with the squad of players at the club at the moment ?

I think the general consensus is that we have between the 7th-10th best team in the league.

For me a good manager does at least a little better than expected, surely their job is to raise the standards of individual players, and the team as a collective. They have to get more from the same, and add to it. Surely they are appointed to raise the bar and keep doing so not keep things ticking over as a night watchman.

I want the manager to have us punching above our weight and confounding expectations of us, our own and from the media. So that we "should" finish 7th but finish 6th. So that we shouldn't win a domestic cup, but win the league cup. By whatever means. Or the Europa League. Over the course of a few years that is.

Those are the guys that then get constantly linked with "bigger" clubs. It's a price worth paying.

I think we have about joint 6th wage bill with spurs, 7th at worst.

So 7th is bang average, challenging for 6th is slightly above average. We are generally finishing 8th, many points behind 6th.

We are underperforming end of.

So finishing 6th or 7th should be the aim.

Remembering Spurs are much further down the line with their evolution of the club (playing squad, how long manager is in place, new ground built) then realistically 7th is the aim.

7th is still achievable this season. Rather than position, I think points total is more important. Breaking the 60 point barrier would be a realistic target all things considered

I think the general consensus is that we have between the 7th-10th best team in the league.

For me a good manager does at least a little better than expected, surely their job is to raise the standards of individual players, and the team as a collective. They have to get more from the same, and add to it. Surely they are appointed to raise the bar and keep doing so not keep things ticking over as a night watchman.

I want the manager to have us punching above our weight and confounding expectations of us, our own and from the media. So that we "should" finish 7th but finish 6th. So that we shouldn't win a domestic cup, but win the league cup. By whatever means. Or the Europa League. Over the course of a few years that is.

Those are the guys that then get constantly linked with "bigger" clubs. It's a price worth paying.
I fully agree with that.

I think the difficulty we have currently is that we've fallen so far behind the top 6 that even doing a little better than expected doesn't really get us up to 6th. The closest we've got in the 5 seasons since we were last in that group is 8 points away, and that's a pretty sizable gap. Last season we were 12 points off the top 6, so we could theoretically make a significant improvement - say we get 10 more points - and still not gatecrash that party.

We're kind of in no mans land at the moment, we're spending relatively large amounts, but nobody would really look at our squad and think we were a top 6 candidate I don't think. We need to unearth a couple of gems either from the academy or under the radar signings and just hit a bit lucky I think. I can't see how the sort of squad we have now can make the leap to being significantly better than most teams in the league.

Agree with all of this.

A good manager would have this team seriously competing for the top six and reaching the latter stages for the cups.

An OK / average manager would have this team finishing 8th and potless.

We need to maintain our expectations, not adjust them. If he steps up and meets them, then perfect - i'm happy for MS to stay.

If not, we need to aspire to better than Marco Silva.

You mean like David moyes

I think that makes a lot of sense.

I read or heard somebody talking about Pep and their comment about him was that he made players that work with him into better players. Of course there are very few like Pep around.

As far as I am concerned the jury is out as yet on Marco Silva and the effect he has on players. He certainly has something about him, if you look at Richarlison and Zouma last season and he has turned DCL into an effective Premiership player , there are other examples as well but then you look at him slumped on the bench against Bournemouth obviously accepting defeat with quite some time left to play. At 3-1 I thought there was a chance for us to get back into it and if Richarlison or Iwobi had been able to take the very good chance that was there then we just might have made extra time interesting.

I believe that managers can influence games by their presence on the sideline. Guardiola, Klopp in particular constantly look as if they need to be restrained. Players are motivated to do better when their manager is animated on the sideline.

Personally I never buy that it was an easy start it's never easy for us. It usually takes us months to get going because our preseasons are poor and we bring in players in late. But still our away performance is still rank rotten and unacceptable.
doesnt that apply to other teams too?

Status
Not open for further replies.