The stench of mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is he leaves some of his team out and sticks with Sam and Koeman players.

I honestly worry he is keeping certain players out because Brands bought them

Moise Kean, do you mean? Consensus seemed to be that it wouldn't be until late autumn, at earliest, that we might start seeing the best of him. The lads' still young and getting used to a new league. The only other Brands' boys I can think you're referencing are Andre Gomes and Gbamin, who are both injured, and Lossl who is clearly behind Pickford in the pecking order.

It all comes down with the appointment of the right manager. Koeman only saw us as a stepping stone, his ego was so big that it was as though he was actually doing us a favour bring here.
Allardyce was the most uninspiring choice of a manager I’ve witnessed in my lifetime, his football was in the dark ages.
Silva at no point did I think he was the right man with his CV to take the club forward.
Moshiri can throw x hundreds of millions at the ‘problem’ and he has. But until he appoints the right manager at the helm, the performance we have witnessed today will continue to be all too common.
We need a manager with a winning mentality, who has a proven record of achieving success. Until we do we will continue to be mid table club.

What stands out for me is that none of our recent managers, perhaps with the short-lived exception of Martinez' first season, have given me the sense that they own the problem of improving Everton from year to year.

The issue of the away form was brought up in the presser on Friday and Silva was at pains to make the rather insignificant point that our away results had indeed improved and we won a massive 5 games, it was a politicians response. With Silva and the others, there is always some get-out - we didn't get all the players we wanted, the budget, players inherited from other past managers, the budgets available to the top six etc etc etc.

We will never have the perfect squad but I think its reasonable to suppose that with the money that has been spent and players brought in anything less than a comfortable 7th represents failure, and on recent evidence, whilst considering there is a long way to go, it looks on current form we would fall short.

It's ok for the manager to acknowledge that today was not merely disappointing and that the players lost focus - it simply isn't good enough and the primary responsibility for dealing with that falls on the manager. The players did indeed lose focus and it's Silva who has to be asking himself and the lads the reasons why and doing something about it.

Moise Kean, do you mean? Consensus seemed to be that it wouldn't be until late autumn, at earliest, that we might start seeing the best of him. The lads' still young and getting used to a new league. The only other Brands' boys I can think you're referencing are Andre Gomes and Gbamin, who are both injured, and Lossl who is clearly behind Pickford in the pecking order.
Well look at last season, he never once thought of playing either Mina or Zouma over Keane when he had chances to, but he easily could of tried it when Keane was playing bad, but he didn't. Gomes has seen the bench more then Siggy is another example last season

Well look at last season, he never once thought of playing either Mina or Zouma over Keane when he had chances to, but he easily could of tried it when Keane was playing bad, but he didn't. Gomes has seen the bench more then Siggy is another example last season

Sigurdsson over-played, I agree with. I can only think his inflated price-tag puts pressure in the decision to select him in the side, regardless of his patchy form. I'd like to see Bernard-Iwobi-Richarlison behind Kean next weekend.

Every good player with ambition will always leave this club , it's the average ones or those that are mentally not strong enough for a top challenge that remain. Richarlison and Digne will be off next summer.

two years more like...

With the notable exception of Richarlison, there is a lack of any risk takers in our side. The continued sideways crab passing (amplified whenever schneiderlin plays but he is far from the sole culprit) is stunting any forward momentum this side might have beneath the surface. For crying out loud, two of our corners, without a loss of possession ended up going as back passes within several seconds (at most) to pickford. Easy no risk option every time. Criminal.
And we seem to have crushed the vigour Iwobi showed in his first few run outs too. Some achievement.

The team yesterday prior to kick off looked one paced and I feared would struggle to really open up space for the forwards and so it proved.

The squad still has huge gaps.

No firing striker. No midfield dictator and we are back to calamitous defending after a promising end to last season.

Whilst the home form remains I would still look to keep Silva as he was missing both Central midfield starters and Kean isn't ready yet.

After 20+ years of waiting for things to finally click though, it does leave your enthusiasm on the floor somewhat.

I find myself less and less interested as the years go by.

I just don't find the current incarnation of the english topflight any fun. It's in a dreadful state in general imo.

The team yesterday prior to kick off looked one paced and I feared would struggle to really open up space for the forwards and so it proved.

The squad still has huge gaps.

No firing striker. No midfield dictator and we are back to calamitous defending after a promising end to last season.

Whilst the home form remains I would still look to keep Silva as he was missing both Central midfield starters and Kean isn't ready yet.

After 20+ years of waiting for things to finally click though, it does leave your enthusiasm on the floor somewhat.

I find myself less and less interested as the years go by.

I just don't find the current incarnation of the english topflight any fun. It's in a dreadful state in general imo.

If we had a top manager I would be delighted mate - the top 6 is wide open but we are cocking up all the time.

Imagine us under Moyes in his prime or Bobbys first season - we would wipe the floor with 75% of the league

Hands up did anyone actually expect anything other than a dismal performance away to a poor side? I swear we are the only side in the world that could beat Manchester United 4-0 at Goodison on Saturday then play away on Wednesday to a pub league team and loose 2-0.

Said it before and I'll say it again. The whole culture of the club has been built around a meek acceptance of mediocrity and a culture of cowardice for going on thirty years now and it comes from the very top of the club.

Why would players even try to go that extra mile for us when they look around their teammates and see veterans who've been here for years and years not giving a crap? Most of them figure out pretty quickly "standards at Everton? Aovid relegation, hopefully upper mid-table and anything beyond that is a bonus, hell, fluke a win againt a decent side or get a derby draw and some of our fans will think you walk on water!".

That's why we can only attract players who use us as a stepping stone, formally good players looking for another payday on their way down in an easier, less pressured environment and just plain mediocre players who are happy to be also-rans while getting paid silly money for it.

Its not the players and its not the manager anymore, they might be part of it but there's an underlying problem here. We all know that both of them are garbage right now but when that keeps being the case over and over despite good money being spent, we have have to looking a little deeper at our problems then that. Get rid of Silva and take an axe to the squad (I obviously mean metaphorically but I wouldn't be to broken up if someone physically did it!) but we'll just be back here in a few years time saying that we all hate the new manager and players and noting will of changed.

Somthing is seriously rotton in this football club. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.