Homepage Update: The Panderer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not a writer, every now and then the mood strikes and for some reason I like to write my thoughts about Everton. When I write it’s purely my opinion, quite emotional and tends to focus on one particular issue.

Full Article: https://www.grandoldteam.com/2019/10/10/the-panderer/

Enjoyed that, thanks.

I do think his time has come, but I do also want him to succeed for a lot of the reasons you outline.

I dont know how you can write an article like that and then conclude he has to go.

That's not being balanced for balance sake. You've highlighted the real obstacles he's had to contend with this season, but more than that you also aknowledge his ability last season to get out of a hole like this one. So it makes no sense to go through the huge disruption of a managerial change. Not yet anyway.

I’m not a writer, every now and then the mood strikes and for some reason I like to write my thoughts about Everton. When I write it’s purely my opinion, quite emotional and tends to focus on one particular issue.

Enjoyed that mate. You make some good points, signings or lack of and injuries.
However I cant get my head around the fact that we have pace to burn up front yet we build up slow, sideways and backwards. For me pace is our strength and it’s being stifled, not by the opposition but by ourselves.
Also substitutes . I’ve seen a lot of games were we are terrible, you just know nothing is going our way and yet he waits until the opposition score, sometimes twice, before he makes changes.

I dont know how you can write an article like that and then conclude he has to go.

That's not being balanced for balance sake. You've highlighted the real obstacles he's had to contend with this season, but more than that you also aknowledge his ability last season to get out of a hole like this one. So it makes no sense to go through the huge disruption of a managerial change. Not yet anyway.

I agree Dave, but the utter fraud might wanna start winning some games if he wants to keep his job.

You could also point to someone like Pochettino who stuck to a 4231 and didn't look that great in his first two seasons, with no indication he would go on to make a CL final, people were calling for the sack at the time too.

But there's a big difference between the two. Pochettino has drunk from the well, the source, imo of one of the two most influential figures in modern coaching/management in Bielsa. Because of this he is deeply grounded in what he does which has allowed him to be the only team to challenge City and Liverpool.

In a gross oversimplification there are five different types of successful managers
1. the ones who've been born out of and evolved the Cruyff philosophy (for example Guardiola)
2. the ones have been born out of and evolved Bielsa's philosophy (Simone, Pochettino, Gallardo)
3. the one's who are great players and have used their experience, character and intelligence to become great managers at top clubs (Zindane, Conte)
4. the ones with little playing success who have forged their own approaches drawn from a variety of influences. (Mourinho, Klopp, Sarri)
5. The ones starting to marry the Bielsa and Cruyff philosphies together (Guardiola, Ten Hag)

Then you have the rest. The ones that know how to survive and worked out how to compete.

Silva wants to be a number 4.

After taking over the management of the side he played in, his approach was obviously good enough for Portugal, and then Greece.
But the PL is a much much different proposition.
I like Conte's take on the difference between Serie A and PL, you can go up 1-0 in Italy and control the game from there, relatively easy if your a top side, but that's 'impossible' to feel/do in the PL (unless your Guardiola).

Silva is fumbling around and is getting tactically found out at this level.
You can't just bundle together a bunch of ideas off others and try and make them work.
To me he seems to have very little to draw on when faced with problems at this level
The approach has to be deeply embedded in something; from which you can then go on and evolve over time.

Not in the PL Marco, come back in 10 years and try again.

Not in the PL Marco, come back in 10 years and try again.
I was intrigued by your last line and the opening paragraph of substance in the article. Its tough to judge Silva too harshly when you think he's like 5 years older than Jags. So Brands and Co have said that the way forward for the club is to find young talent that has not fulfilled their full potential yet but have the potential to become great... is this the philosophy with Silva? If yes thats a big gamble.

I would also add to your list of arguments that Marco lost his coaching partner and right hand man during the summer - thats got to be a massive blow to consistency from last season and an extra level of effort for him getting the new guy up to speed

I was intrigued by your last line and the opening paragraph of substance in the article. Its tough to judge Silva too harshly when you think he's like 5 years older than Jags. So Brands and Co have said that the way forward for the club is to find young talent that has not fulfilled their full potential yet but have the potential to become great... is this the philosophy with Silva? If yes thats a big gamble.
Can't see him coming back to Everton. Meant the PL.
I hope he goes on to do good things. He's now a Blue after all.
He'll get good experience from this.

Without out going all boring and getting too much into tactics
It seems like Silva wants to play a variant of the Bielsa style
High press and quicker vertical mvt.

He's had success in some ways with the press, but it doesn't fit with the rest, the solutions are more complexed than what he's doing.
And he doesn't have the defensive style players, and no, Zouma is not anywhere close to the answer.

The quicker vertical mvt has been an utter failure.
In the rare times he does get it going his overall set up tends to be defensively weak, which leads to hesitation and poor tempo and your back to square one; he has been lucky with not conceding a lot more.
But it all comes to a shuddering halt when you get to the stalwart philosophy of the lower teams who know how to survive, the anti football approach of sit deep and knick a goal. Sheffield United just made Silva their bitch.
He is so far away from solving it just a little bit.

In stat that he hasn't come from behind to win there's almost something endearing about him not seeming to give a damn about conceding from corners. Like he is too preoccupied with finding the other answer. He just needs to go and do that somewhere else.

Without out going all boring and getting too much into tactics
It seems like Silva wants to play a variant of the Bielsa style
High press and quicker vertical mvt.

If that means winning a trophy or two in a weak league, rarely seeing out a contract, winning nothing of any real note, getting moody and acting up to a point where the team completely stops functioning then Silva is right on cue with the Bielsa style.

And he doesn't have the defensive style players, and no, Zouma is not anywhere close to the answer.

Agree with this. Zouma seems to have morphed from a pretty average centre half into some kind of blessed combination of Beckenbauer, Baresi and Puyol in the minds of some of the fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.