The over 60s thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyphooToffee

Player Valuation: £60m
It would be interesting to read the comments of, and see historic photos taken by, fellow over 60s' fans. Following the welcome suggestion of ilikecheese, there would be some great memories recalled. I'll start it off by pasting my comments in the Fans' thread...

"I was thirtysomething in the mid-80s and remember tying a Blue ribbon around our dog's neck before walking her to the shops the morning of the 1984 Cup Final, so proud was I. I was prouder still as I stood at Wembley Stadium and cheered the lads as they paraded the cup.

Wembley became my second home over the next few years, even though there was little to celebrate at the end of most games. I look back at that glorious time with immense pride and, notwithstanding 1995, it breaks my heart how greatly the club suffered from the European ban (which was when I became a bitter blue) and that has been highlighted by our lack of growth and success since.

I wonder how many who booed remember the mid-80s? Those that don't will never know the sadness we feel. Yet we would never think of making a public disgrace of ourselves. People down here often wonder why I chose to support Everton and, as we all know, I didn't choose Everton, Everton chose me, and made me feel specially blessed. When I was aged 12, and a relatively new Blue, Fred Pickering was bought to ultimately replace my hero, Alex Young, I was frightened that it meant the end of the Golden Vision. When my fears were realized, although I cried for days, I never once thought of booing Fred. Times change, people move on.

Maybe I'm just made of different stuff because now, as I am now 62 and about to move to an over 60s retirement apartment with my wife, although I have become cynical where politicians and wannabe reality 'celebrities' are concerned, I will never EVER become cynical where my beloved Everton are concerned."

Last edited:
Cheers for doing this mate.

Was thinking of a more inclusive 'over the generations' sort of thread...but this could be boss in and of itself.

We have a fair share of your gen posting around here...and I really like how you tied it to today.
Thanks for that, and thanks for suggesting it ;)

Unfortunately most of my earliest photographic memories went the way of my first wife - they stayed, I went. Hopefully my daughter still has some. It's her housewarming on Saturday so I'll find out. Here's the earliest one I have, taken in 1995 by my second wife, when I was 42.

Goodison%20Park_zpsxjpij0ch.jpg

It would be interesting to read the comments of, and see historic photos taken by, fellow over 60s' fans. Following the welcome suggestion of ilikecheese, there would be some great memories recalled. I'll start it off by pasting my comments in the Fans' thread...

"I was thirtysomething in the mid-80s and remember tying a Blue ribbon around our dog's neck before walking her to the shops the morning of the 1984 Cup Final, so proud was I. I was prouder still as I stood at Wembley Stadium and cheered the lads as they paraded the cup.

Wembley became my second home over the next few years, even though there was little to celebrate at the end of most games. I look back at that glorious time with immense pride and, notwithstanding 1995, it breaks my heart how greatly the club suffered from the European ban (which was when I became a bitter blue) and that has been highlighted by our lack of growth and success since.

I wonder how many who booed remember the mid-80s? Those that don't will never know the sadness we feel. Yet we would never think of making a public disgrace of ourselves. People down here often wonder why I chose to support Everton and, as we all know, I didn't choose Everton, Everton chose me, and made me feel specially blessed. When I was aged 12, and a relatively new Blue, Fred Pickering was bought to ultimately replace my hero, Alex Young, I was frightened that it meant the end of the Golden Vision. When my fears were realized, although I cried for days, I never once thought of booing Fred. Times change, people move on.

Maybe I'm just made of different stuff because now, as I am now 62 and about to move to an over 60s retirement apartment with my wife, although I have become cynical where politicians and wannabe reality 'celebrities' are concerned, I will never EVER become cynical where my beloved Everton are concerned."

Same age as you. Remember far worse things than booing in the sixties and early 70's. "Sack Catterick, Keep Young", the crowd that surrounded Catterick at the away match. The cushions. Losing 15000 from attendances in two years - 70 - 72. And we were the lucky generation!

Same age as you. Remember far worse things than booing in the sixties and early 70's. "Sack Catterick, Keep Young", the crowd that surrounded Catterick at the away match. The cushions. Losing 15000 from attendances in two years - 70 - 72. And we were the lucky generation!

Aaahhhh....the cushions! Everton's answer to the white hankies - but with more emphasis!!

Status
Not open for further replies.