The myth that Rooney and Sigurdsson cant play together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy2402

Player Valuation: £150k
Had a bit of time this morning to go through the line ups after thinking about it on the train back yesterday!

To me it is an absolute myth that they cant play together and the stats back it up.

We have won 8 PL matches this season. 7 since Sig signed.

Rooney has started in all 8

Rooney starts - P18 W8 D4 L6
Rooney doesn't start - P8 W0 D3 L5

Rooney and Sig start together P14 W7 D2 L5 (50% win ratio)
With 1 or 0 starting P12 W1 D4 L7 (8.5% win ratio)

"But they cant play together"

Thought Schneiderlin again was utterly useless yesterday so thought id compare his. Not by much but we get slightly better results when he isn't in the side!

Schneiderlin starting P15 W4 D6 L5
Schneiderlin doesn't start P11 W4 D1 L5

Just so glaringly obvious Rooney and Sigurdsson make us tick. To drop both yesterday is one of the worst managerial decisions i can ever remember.

Had a bit of time this morning to go through the line ups after thinking about it on the train back yesterday!

To me it is an absolute myth that they cant play together and the stats back it up.

Thought Schneiderlin again was utterly useless yesterday so thought id compare his. Not by much but we get slightly better results when he isn't in the side!

Just so glaringly obvious Rooney and Sigurdsson make us tick. To drop both yesterday is one of the worst managerial decisions i can ever remember.

Both Rooney & Siggurdsson are arguably our best players, they create chances & score goals, Rooney is our top goalscorer so it was surprising to see Them both on the bench yesterday....

They can play together of course there is no doubt in my mind the stats above show that in fact....

Sa choose the wrong team yesterday without a doubt it stood out a country mile.....

I'm not an advocate of Rooney in midfield but it's too the point where Schneiderlin should be punted off the nearest cliff so it has to be Gueye Rooney and Davies like against Leicester just so much more energy when Davies starts. At least one of those two need to play.

I think it can work if Rooney is deep, and Sigurdsson behind the number 10.

Doesn't work if Sigurdsson is on the left, Rooney plays his own position/roams.

As is, we seem hell bent on playing Gueye/Sigurdsson deep...

Ive no issue with Sig on the left. He works harder than anyone and with a better left back we would have a greater threat with the overlap. It also gives him the chance to cut in on the edge of the box, Rooney deeper works and though he has made mistakes, Davies makes us tick with that team.

Coleman, Walcott, Sig, Rooney, Davies, Gueye start every game for the rest of the season. We will finish 7th.,

keep swapping the team around and we will finish bottom half.

I was thinking the same sort of thing about when Davies starts or not. Can’t be bothered working it out, but that’s how it feels.

Rooney is the only player who can pass a ball forwards. Yes he loses the ball, no he hasn't got the legs anymore.

However surround him with Gueye and Davies and his lack of energy doesn't matter.

If Rooney plays that deeper role then we have Sigurdsson further up the pitch with more space to get shots/passes in.

We have a fairly reliable means of winning games and it is surprising that it isn't played more often, given that whenever we play it we seem to win.

4 at the back
midfield 3 of gueye holding, rooney+davies playing in front of gueye
front three of siggurdson+striker (niasse)+right winger (Walcott)

It isn't rocket science and i don't understand why a manager thinks that constantly chopping and changing a team/formation is a good idea given that it has never worked for any manager ever...

I was thinking the same sort of thing about when Davies starts or not. Can’t be bothered working it out, but that’s how it feels.

Had that though too.

With Davies starting : P12 W4 D4 L4
Without Davies starting : P14 W4 D3 L7

So yeh we again are generally just about better when he starts!

When Baines is back I'm sure Sigurdsson will be a better player out on the left. Teams will stop having to target one or two of our players, as if we have decent combinations on both sides of the pitch. (long as Coleman and Walcott stay fit) Rooney and Sigurdsson should really be able to share 10 duty during the game, when one is taking up the position the other can move to cover the vacant space. If we play one up top there should be no reason why they can't play together.

They're our two most creative influences.

Ideally the two of them should be on the pitch together as often as possible to develop a better understanding and relationship.

It's the same with the centre halves. Jagielka and Keane played well together vs Leicester, so give them the opportunity to form a decent partnership, rather than chopping and changing every game.

Develop a decent core to the team and build from there.

Stoke 1-0 - No Sigurdsson
Bournemouth 2-1 - Winners from Niasse who replaced Rooney. Until that point with Sig and Rooney we're losing 0-1.
Watford 3-2 - Losing until Rooney is replaced by DCL who equalises. Niasse gets the winner after Sig leaves the pitch.
West Ham 4-0 - Both play, big win, Rooney hat-trick.
Huddersfield 2-0 - Both play, Sig scores.
Newcastle 1-0 - Both play, Rooney winner.
Swansea 3-1 - Both play, both score.
Leicester 2-1 - Both play.

A more balanced point would include all the draws and losses with or without both but it's clear that we can win with both in the side. Playing with just 3 attacking players as we did yesterday does absolutely nothing for the team though and how BS can't see that is baffling.

Status
Not open for further replies.