The Lone Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alio

They call me Avocado Baby
It's been said (A lot) that Beckford is rubbish up front on his own.....ok, I'll be honest, I don't know what's best at the moment, or what formation is best either, everyone has their own opinion, and I always use hindsight to judge what is best

Anyway, with Cahill up there too, he's not really playing up front on his own, so why does everyone say that he can't play up front on his own so much? He looks hungry, looks like he gives one, and can obviously score. I get it that everyone wants 2 natural strikers, but it seems that we're not going to do that,, just trying to figure it out why Beckford shouldn't be playing even if he's in a 4-5-1

p.s. this isn't just based on his goal today. How different was it after Saha went off?

That was a superb second half, well in Everton

p.p.s Fellaini was awesome today

I'm sold on Becks. It's chances that matter. It's a numbers game. The more chances he gets the more he will score and the more confident he will get. We're CLEARLY better with him in there. He stretches the field and helps the defense and midfield by keeping the back line honest at all times. We just had a thread on Marcus Bent, and I can see Becks playing that role, only with more upside potential than Bent had in terms of scoring. I really think once JB settles, he can be a top scorer at this level. He needs game time though. Go on Davey, give the lad a run!

I'm sold on Becks. It's chances that matter. It's a numbers game. The more chances he gets the more he will score and the more confident he will get. We're CLEARLY better with him in there. He stretches the field and helps the defense and midfield by keeping the back line honest at all times. We just had a thread on Marcus Bent, and I can see Becks playing that role, only with more upside potential than Bent had in terms of scoring. I really think once JB settles, he can be a top scorer at this level. He needs game time though. Go on Davey, give the lad a run!

Agreed, fully. Do it MoYLeZ

I don't have a problem with our formation, there's nothing wrong with it. What we need to do is bring in players who can make it more expansive, a pacy winger, for example, would be a start.

As for Beckford, I think it's his play with his back to goal that needs a bit of work, he needs to learn how to shield and keep the ball under control at the same time. I've seen nothing wrong with his ability, his movement is very impressive and he's got that energy we seem to be lacking in forward areas. We just need to learn how to supply him with the right type of service really.

I don't have a problem with our formation, there's nothing wrong with it. What we need to do is bring in players who can make it more expansive, a pacy winger, for example, would be a start.

As for Beckford, I think it's his play with his back to goal that needs a bit of work, he needs to learn how to shield and keep the ball under control at the same time. I've seen nothing wrong with his ability, his movement is very impressive and he's got that energy we seem to be lacking in forward areas. We just need to learn how to supply him with the right type of service really.

Cue Donovan.

Cue Donovan.

Cue Donovan indeed. I haven't lost Faith in the Yak, I'm still annoyed we for whatever reason dropped him after he scored the other month. Saha just isn't it at the moment, again for whatever reason. Beckford looks like the man who desperately wants to make a name for himself, and good on him. I don't know enough about tactics to still understand why he's no good up front on his own....it's not all black and white and as simple as we think. As long as he is getting himself into space to create, or at least for someone to create the chance for him, he;s doing fine by me. Perhaps he is out Marcus Bent (with a bit more pace, and more goal threat)

I think in time, he'll start to understand when to pass, rather than trying for a screamer on his wrong foot. He's greedy though, and I like that, show's his a goalscorer at heart. He's not afraid to shoot, and over the past few weeks, when we've been afraid to do so, just makes me wonder what could have been......(blanks out the miss against Sunderland from memory) ;-)

especially after last week, where Beckford should have had 4-5 goals to his name, we all know he should have scored, but at least he got 4-5 shot's that were considered mischances.
Look at Saha over the last couple of games, he's had 1-2 shots over the entire game.
Beckford comes off the bench for 30 minutes and get's involved instantly.

Beckfords a player and no mistake well on his way to getting the ten goal target i set him. He is someone who can play of the second ball he has natural striker instincts and doesnt rely on raw strength etc. I think its where the second ball will come from. Hes also a threat centrally.

I thought we were a lot more direct in the middle today we broke faster then in recent games so well done Mofro (whho we have missed) and Jack, has to be said on todays evidance which isnt diffeinitive their seemed like a lot more balance in the team then any other partnership i have seen in midfeild this season, expecialy when you consider the quality of the opposition.

I agree with most of what has been said here, becks simply needs time to gel and get used to the type of service he will be given here. We are not leeds, we are everton and we play OUR way. We don't have a Becchio playing aroung him giving him the service he got at leeds. Once he gets used to the everton way he will come good. Also lets not forget the lad has come up two divisions and its a big step from the championship to the premiership, nevermind from league one to the premiership. Patience is the key here my thinks.

Beckford is our best option out there, which I think says more about the state of affairs with our strikers than it does with any greatness on the part of Beckford.

He does seem hungry, and he has more upside at this point than Saha and the Yak. Both of those guys aren't getting any better. Beckford will.

His biggest problem right now seems to be that he panics a little when he gets the ball in a dangerous position. He still isn't used to the speed of this level. Once the game slows down for him, he will relax better with the ball and make better decisions.

It's his decision making that needs work. He's extremely impatient, he's showed it every time he's been on the ball in every game. Very evident yesterday, too. His hold up play has shown glimpses of quality, he's impressive both with back to goal and on the last defender's shoulder. Footballing intelligence, though, is lacking. Just like with Coleman, he'd benefit from a few sessions on the schoolbench at our academy.

It's been said (A lot) that Beckford is rubbish up front on his own.....ok, I'll be honest, I don't know what's best at the moment, or what formation is best either, everyone has their own opinion, and I always use hindsight to judge what is best

Its based upon his previous record

When up front by himself at Leeds he was hopeless, in the end Leeds went with Bechio up front who has more technique and ability to hold the ball up, etc

Beckford excelled with a partner, and thats a good enough reason to expect Moyes to do the same with him.

Some may argue Cahill is 'sort of' a partner, its debatable.

Either way, when Cahill goes of to asia for a few weeks, we MUST go 2 up top.

Status
Not open for further replies.