The impending forward crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the 90's Norwich were without a striker due to injury and stuck one of their young central defenders up front as a target man.

Chris Sutton scored 25 goals that season and went on to have a good career as a striker.

Wondering if that is something we should consider? Which of them has a good combination of height and pace and strength? Could also bring Branthwaite back and let him have a turn up front.

It's not like we are short of central defenders with height and Maupay is not cutting it.

Simms should be ahead of him at least.

Back in the 90's Norwich were without a striker due to injury and stuck one of their young central defenders up front as a target man.

Chris Sutton scored 25 goals that season and went on to have a good career as a striker.

Wondering if that is something we should consider? Which of them has a good combination of height and pace and strength? Could also bring Branthwaite back and let him have a turn up front.

It's not like we are short of central defenders with height and Maupay is not cutting it.

Simms should be ahead of him at least.
About 10 years ago, Man City won the Title with a short fella from Argentina up top.

I find the fact you think Simms should play simply due to his height slightly amusing.

I would be open to trying Gray in the forward role. He has the pace and we have had plenty of moments when our attack gets the opportunity for a quick counter attack. For example there were couple of those against Villa and Arsenal. We know he can finish and with that pace he'll beat defenders easily. It would also force the opposition to drop their line and give us space to build.

Free agents currently:
Locadia - big fella played for Brighton
Manaj - released from Watford last month
Zaza - released from Torino in the summer, at WHU in 16/17
Coulibaly - released from Belgrade, big unit

Slim pickings in the market as expected, but perhaps a big fella up top would suit current situation

Free agents currently:

Slim pickings in the market as expected, but perhaps a big fella up top would suit current situation
These all sound rubbish, maybe locadia would be useful, played in the prem, I'm surprised we haven't taken a gamble on somebody short term not much to lose....

Could Peter Crouch be an option? Decent target man, dangerous at set pieces, solid goal return. Played for Dyche before and they have a good relationship. He's only a few months older than Zlatan.

Getting Peter Crouch here would be a tall order

About 10 years ago, Man City won the Title with a short fella from Argentina up top.

I find the fact you think Simms should play simply due to his height slightly amusing.

I think that’s because we play “down the wing, cross it in” or “long ball” football, Man City don’t.
Statistically if we played that way with Aguero and Messi up front, they still would not win the ball the majority of the time, the Opposition CB’s would win it, because they are taller.
We don’t have the squad to play the way Man City or Barcelona play, we’ve tried it and got battered.

Free agents currently:

Sign all of them on a weeks contract, play them all for 22.5 mins each in the next game, keep the one that does the best

Was mooching on another Everton Website earlier and noted not only are folk shouting for Keane to play up top, but someone suggested Mina as well. Seen the post in this thread mentioning Norwich and Chris Sutton.

I don't wish to be mean to folk, I'm taking it as a sign of the desperate straits we are in and the desperation of good blues who can see we are heading. A symptom of the underlying disease.

If we see defenders up front this season then we know Dyche has probably joined us and decided "eff it, we're on a hiding to nothing, Holgate and and Godfrey front two"

Status
Not open for further replies.