Homepage Update: The Half Term Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

catcherintherye

Player Valuation: £80m
32392593988_190aac8406_k-1155x770.jpg

When analyzing the first half of Everton’s season the curious point to note is the levels of optimism amongst the fanbase in spite of a moderate start in terms of results. For a fan base that can be broadly characterized as airing on the side of brutal realism as opposed to utopian optimism (iconoclasts not idolaters as it were) it is an unusual situation to be found (though not a negative one).

Full Article: https://www.grandoldteam.com/2018/12/17/the-half-term-report/

..it’s a difficult one, but seeing is believing and I expect the fans are liking better what they see even if it’s not translated to results.

Allerdyce’s Everton had 27 points on Boxing Day, we’re currently on 24 but we’ve already played 6 of the 7 teams above us away from home (City, Liverpool, United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Wolves). Also, the new signings have generally been our best performers.

We could do with a win, though.

There are good foundations in place.

I'm encouraged that the new signings have by and large been decent. Richarlison, Digne, and Gomes in particular.

We need two strikers, and Coleman's position to be addressed. Being harsh I also think we need an upgrade on Gueye in time if we are being serious about things.

That will probably take up the next two windows.

Lookman aside, and despite appearances we don't have a bench of any depth or quality.

So back to talking about multiple windows with much activity in which we can't afford any poor calls for new players.

But that's what Spurs have done so it's possible.

Definitely an odd one this year. I very much see an improvement in style, but the elephant in the room would be some shocking results, particularly at home, against very average/poor sides.

Ultimately, we still lack a consistent playmaker although Gylfi has been excellent for most of the campaign; we don’t have the proverbial cutting edge at key moments to make chances for our forwards. We also struggle to use our attackers’ pace to our advantage in the same way that them lot across the park do. I think this broadly boils down to too many errant passes under pressure from our midfielders and a real poor quality of first touch from our wide forwards, in particular.

Hopefully these issues can be addressed in training but there is a niggling feeling, for me, that some of these players just aren’t good enough for what we’re trying to achieve. Walcott is a shining example of this - People will always point to his pace, but I struggle to come up with even one other discernible quality of note that he brings. Coleman’s race looks, very sadly, to be run and I would - like MANY others - like Richarlison to be out wide, terrorising FBs and CBs alike while a top, instinctive slotter bangs them in like nobody’s business.

Anyway, drifted off into a ramble, there; so far, so-so: 7/10.

Progress has been made this year with more attractive football being played & better technical players coming into the team...

Results have been mixed & point tally is mediocre & should really have been better, however there are signs that the team Is progressing & there is an air of optimism at goodison nowadays...

We are probably 3/4 players short ATM with a striker being the main cause of concern, Marco Silva is still in his honeymoon period at the club but the signs are looking good...

When analyzing the first half of Everton’s season the curious point to note is the levels of optimism amongst the fanbase in spite of a moderate start in terms of results. For a fan base that can be broadly characterized as airing on the side of brutal realism as opposed to utopian optimism (iconoclasts not idolaters as it were) it is an unusual situation to be found (though not a negative one).

Good article mate.

For my money there's not an awful lot wrong here besides the absence of a cutting edge upfront. If we had that, this first half of the season would have produced another 8 points or so by this stage.

Striker, right-sided winger, right back. They are our priority in January/summer. The manager knows what he's doing. Given the material he'll get this job done.

I'd guess that despite the moderate results the level of optimism among the fanbase is due to this start being in stark contrast to last season's start which was one of the worst in living memory.

Anyway, my half term report is........decent progress, shows great potential, but needs to concentrate harder at times. Overall, going in the right direction. 7/10.

Good article mate.

I find a lot of the impatience stuff and faux outrage on here pretty much unreadable.

It’s pretty simple to me, new manger, new philosophey, negative outlook last year to wildly optimistic and expansive footballing style. That takes time, it will happen through boom and bust football this season, until the style becomes old hand and consistency develops. If we get Europe this season we will have had a great season. But personally I’m enjoying being competitive in every game, regardless of results, I enjoy watching us, that’s still refreshing for me. It’s a team I can get behind and identify with. That has been lacking since Moyes/Martinez really.

We are at the start of a cycle, development and progression will have to meet growing expectation as time passes, year on year and inevitably the closeer we get the glass ceiling will be the acid test. I don’t see us challengeing there till year three in this cycle.

What I like is the coach seems interested in coaching, by that actually improving players and many have and will as the season progresses.

We have clear limits. A forward is clearly one. The second that doesn’t get as much air time is a big power full presence in the center midfield who can give us a foundation to play by winning the midfield battle and support attacking play (different skill set to Gueye), for me we get bullied by big physical teams and could do with a Doucure type in the engine room as variance.

Apart from that I have a lot of trust in the squad, it’s developing.

Last edited:

Reckon we’d be clear in 6th if we didn’t have such a hard run of fixtures away from home.

Then again, we’ve already dropped too many silly points at home.

Gone completely as I expected tbh. Performances much better but not much change in pattern of results.

Full faith in Silva and Brands at the moment and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Very happy with the direction we’re heading in.

I'm very happy. Not for where we are but instead with the signs of genuine progression.

It's good to watch Everton again. Not something I would have readily said since Roberto's first season.

@catcherintherye

Nice article.

I think the key for Silva is the system and the players. We can see the quality of the players being brought in along with the work done with Keane and Lookman especially to improve them as players.

The fact is that we are only 4 new players (2 loans also) into a rebuild of the squad.

As others have mentioned (and its been discussed at length elsewhere) we are 6 permanent signings off a top class first 11 and we also need to improve the bench options whether organically or with signings.

The test this season has been, and will continue to be the fight for 6th position...whilst improving the players within the squad. However, for me I see it as a transition season where we really need to make a huge number of moves in/out of the transfer windows in January and the summer.

I think we can only judge the season at the end and most of that will be based upon the players signed last summer and january along with those improved squad players. The real judgements will begin on the first day of next season with a new team in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.