The great escapes.

The greatest escape?

Votes: 54 83.1%

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the game was fixed in our favor and we still made hard work of it. Everton that.

Wasnt that obvious. They had all sorts placed; first scorer, half time, that sort of stuff. Remember, they had nothing on the game, so tried to make a few bob. The lad I knew never said they fixed the game as a team, but they all had various bets on it.

Was a while ago, but the one that sticks in the mind is one of their defenders getting their first goal. (Scales maybe?). If the actual footage shows him bombing upfront, I havnt a clue.

So Fixing is probably too strong, but they had an interest in it shall we say.

Wasnt that obvious. They had all sorts placed; first scorer, half time, that sort of stuff. Remember, they had nothing on the game, so tried to make a few bob. The lad I knew never said they fixed the game as a team, but they all had various bets on it.

Was a while ago, but the one that sticks in the mind is one of their defenders getting their first goal. (Scales maybe?). If the actual footage shows him bombing upfront, I havnt a clue.

The thing I get from Sagars is, he makes an unbelievable save off Graham Stuart in the 2nd half. That never gets explained to me.

The thing I get from Sagars is, he makes an unbelievable save off Graham Stuart in the 2nd half. That never gets explained to me.

All I was told by the lad was that their players realised they had a chance to have a punt. They didnt fix it, as such, but perhaps some were not that arsed about some incidents.

As they say, different days. The lad who told me ended up in Vinnie Jones's entourage when he cracked LA.

Disappointing but then I would be naive to think football isn’t corrupt.

It was more innocent than a match fix. From what I was told.

But bets were placed by their players, maybe just amongst themselves, that day. I dont think they were the only ones back then.

All I was told by the lad was that their players realised they had a chance to have a punt. They didnt fix it, as such, but perhaps some were not that arsed about some incidents.

As they say, different days. The lad who told me ended up in Vinnie Jones's entourage when he cracked LA.

I know I don't doubt it mate. I just think it's always a bit more complex than x,y,z tried to throw a game.

It was more innocent than a match fix. From what I was told.

But bets were placed by their players, maybe just amongst themselves, that day. I dont think they were the only ones back then.
Wimbledon were always a horrible team and I remember thinking at the time ‘thank God we don’t have to go to them’.

The Coventry one was a disgrace that we hadn’t learned the lesson of 4 years earlier.

Wimbledon were the first to get into spot betting.
Time of first throw in etc.
At a match at Goodison they kicked off and the ball was in the main stand immediately. Looked like they were just crap players at the time, but clearly a nice earner.

I remember both of those games so vividly and 98 was so much worse then 94 for me. In 94 I was so naive, I never lost faith even at 2-0, but by 98 I understood the gravity of the situation and I couldn't believe that we where back in a position like that again. That game against Coventry and the whole trip to Goodison was easily the most depressing experience of football I've ever seen/felt in my life. Honestly, if I ever feel that bad about going the match ever again then I'm done on the spot because football should never make you feel that sad, if it does then it's time to stop.

Last edited:
Probably because Cottee was poor from the spot overall. He missed twice as well in 93/94 away at Coventry which cost us a point and at home to Man Utd in the League Cup.

He also infamously missed a last minute penalty away at Chelsea which would've kept us in the FA Cup a season or so earlier. I'm glad he bottled that Wimbledon pen as I've no doubt he'd have missed it.
He was a bottler anyway. Got no time for him as an Everton player

Is there anywhere to watch the whole Coventry game? I’d be interested in watching the last 5 minutes or so after Dublin scored. Did Coventry come close to winning it?
I was there but I don’t think I’ve seen the whole game since.

Status
Not open for further replies.