The Great Alan Ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half way through his latest book RIP Mr perpetual motion!
18877b903669699bd6553ce355b59999.jpg

My all time football hero. The day we sold Bally was the beginning of the end of Everton as a huge club.

The first time I ever saw one of our greats sold before they were no longer good enough for us.
My dad said exactly the same thing. He idolised ball (as did all Everton’s fans) but the sale of ball and catterick’s failing health was a double whammy that broke up our great 1970 team.

My dad said exactly the same thing. He idolised ball (as did all Everton’s fans) but the sale of ball and catterick’s failing health was a double whammy that broke up our great 1970 team.
Remember the first game after he was sold in Dec '71 v Huddersfield at home. Ended in a 2-2 draw, but there was an air of total disbelief that we had sold him, and a very subdued atmosphere as a result. The beginning of a decline not halted in terms of winning trophies until 1984...

Remember the first game after he was sold in Dec '71 v Huddersfield at home. Ended in a 2-2 draw, but there was an air of total disbelief that we had sold him, and a very subdued atmosphere as a result. The beginning of a decline not halted in terms of winning trophies until 1984...
Definitely the beginning of a substantial decline. I’m sure there are a number of reasons given over the years for the sale of ball, but you have to question catterick’s decision making during this period. It would similar to the RS and united selling Gerrard and Keane in their prime. All 3 were clearly their sides best player and driving force, typical Everton that we were the only one to sell our heartbeat of the side.

Being born right at the end of 69, I never got to see him play. I do remember growing up and being reminded we'd not won a thing, and finally ending the drought in '84. Seemed like an eternity.
It's now 23 years and counting.....

Status
Not open for further replies.