The Glass Half Full Perspective On The Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnydawg68

Chairperson, People's Front of Saint Domingo
So I decided a while ago to be an optimist. This goes against the grain of being a Blue, but it's served me well in real life. So there. This isn't an attempt to whitewash any negatives of the season we just...err...completed, but rather just taking the time to write down and acknowledge that life is complicated, and rarely is anything wholly good or bad. Not always. But rarely. When I look back on the 9 months or so that just passed, there’s quite a bit I will remember. I doubt very seriously I’ll dwell on the fact that Everton went out with a whimper and not a bang - I hope. So put the bleach down for a moment, turn off the running hot water, and pack away the razor blades - temporarily.

Spirit of the Blues
I don’t think I’ve ever had as much fun being an Evertonian as when we were Brazil in August and September and we were #1 in the table, the music charts, and the movie charts (Howard’s Way). [Poor language removed] Miley Cyrus. Twittertonia was actually a fun place to be for a while. A world in which I’d never thought I would live. It felt like the dawning of the Age of Aquarius was upon us. It wasn’t, but it was fun while it lasted. A lot of fun.

DCL Proved Me Right
I always believed in the lad, and while he’s got a ways to go I was a little early on my predictions that he would become an England striker, but he got there eventually. Now, to be clear, I know little to nothing about football. Even after all these years. Most of you have forgotten more about the game than I’ll ever know. I’m at peace with that. But I know talent when I see it, and more importantly, I saw an attitude and demeanor about him that just screamed he was going to figure it out. When you combine natural gifts with humility and a will to achieve, it’s not really a matter of if, but when. Best of all, he’s easy to like. We’ve had players that I supported, but I wouldn’t be arsed investing in them if they didn’t play for us. But DCL is a player and person we can be proud of. That’s not nothing.

Voldemort is Dead
It’s over. The streak. The curse. The shame. Everton won at Anfield. I rarely cry anymore outside of a well-crafted commercial featuring old people or animals, but I’ll admit a salty discharge began to seep from my eyes in the hours after the game. I didn’t expect to feel that way. Probably because I never expected to win there ever in my lifetime. But Everton made me feel joy - real joy - that day. And I’m grateful for that. It may never happen again, or we might just make it Goodison South. Who knows? All I know is that it was the best moment I’ve had as a Blue. I hope it doesn’t remain the best moment, but for now, I’m not going to pass it by.

We Completed the Season
How many of us were afraid we’d not be able to get all the games in? Only the Man City game was postponed. That’s actually pretty incredible. At the end of the day, while we all want to win every match, ultimately Everton are just something to look forward to. Even when we aren’t really looking forward to it, we are. Otherwise why give a damn? It’s something that every week binds us all together. Regardless of our politics, our religion - or lack thereof, our gender, our marital status, our financial situation, we are at least united in one purpose, one common goal. We all want the same group of young men in an Everton kit to beat the other team. When they do we share the same joy (or relief). When they don’t, we share that feeling too. There are times when it feels like this is the only place left where that can happen.

Personal
As we edge towards some sort of “normal” post-covid future, on a personal level, I’m grateful that it didn’t do any serious harm to me or anyone I’m close to. My wife on the other hand has lost quite a few friends in Brazil, and I just found out that the husband half of a couple we are friends with there just lost his Sister. You never take joy from the fact that it wasn’t your sibling or friend, or parent, but perspective is an awesome thing. If you have been affected, my heart goes out to you. I’ve survived the last year. In health, financially, and I’m still sane. It wasn’t easy. There were times when I wasn’t sure I could write that last sentence, to be honest - but I did. And if I don’t acknowledge - even focus - on that then it’s going to be a really long and unpleasant ride the rest of my life. That’s not how I roll though.

Summary:
We weren’t half bad this year. 69 points is usually good enough for 7th or so in the league which would have meant Europe, but we ended up in 10th. We take a deep breath, try to enjoy the summer, and in August we go again. We don’t have a choice. As one of my favorite authors wrote: “I had discovered after the...game that loyalty, at least in football terms, was not a moral choice like bravery or kindness; it was more like a wart or a hump, something you were stuck with.” ― Nick Hornby, Fever Pitch.

Supporting Everton is a little like being married in the middle ages. Divorce isn’t an option. Only death can break that bond whether you like it or not.

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Jdawg

So I decided a while ago to be an optimist. This goes against the grain of being a Blue, but it's served me well in real life. So there. This isn't an attempt to whitewash any negatives of the season we just...err...completed, but rather just taking the time to write down and acknowledge that life is complicated, and rarely is anything wholly good or bad. Not always. But rarely. When I look back on the 9 months or so that just passed, there’s quite a bit I will remember. I doubt very seriously I’ll dwell on the fact that Everton went out with a whimper and not a bang - I hope. So put the bleach down for a moment, turn off the running hot water, and pack away the razor blades - temporarily.

Spirit of the Blues
I don’t think I’ve ever had as much fun being an Evertonian as when we were Brazil in August and September and we were #1 in the table, the music charts, and the movie charts (Howard’s Way). [Poor language removed] Miley Cyrus. Twittertonia was actually a fun place to be for a while. A world in which I’d never thought I would live. It felt like the dawning of the Age of Aquarius was upon us. It wasn’t, but it was fun while it lasted. A lot of fun.

DCL Proved Me Right
I always believed in the lad, and while he’s got a ways to go I was a little early on my predictions that he would become an England striker, but he got there eventually. Now, to be clear, I know little to nothing about football. Even after all these years. Most of you have forgotten more about the game than I’ll ever know. I’m at peace with that. But I know talent when I see it, and more importantly, I saw an attitude and demeanor about him that just screamed he was going to figure it out. When you combine natural gifts with humility and a will to achieve, it’s not really a matter of if, but when. Best of all, he’s easy to like. We’ve had players that I supported, but I wouldn’t be arsed investing in them if they didn’t play for us. But DCL is a player and person we can be proud of. That’s not nothing.

Voldemort is Dead
It’s over. The streak. The curse. The shame. Everton won at Anfield. I rarely cry anymore outside of a well-crafted commercial featuring old people or animals, but I’ll admit a salty discharge began to seep from my eyes in the hours after the game. I didn’t expect to feel that way. Probably because I never expected to win there ever in my lifetime. But Everton made me feel joy - real joy - that day. And I’m grateful for that. It may never happen again, or we might just make it Goodison South. Who knows? All I know is that it was the best moment I’ve had as a Blue. I hope it doesn’t remain the best moment, but for now, I’m not going to pass it by.

We Completed the Season
How many of us were afraid we’d not be able to get all the games in? Only the Man City game was postponed. That’s actually pretty incredible. At the end of the day, while we all want to win every match, ultimately Everton are just something to look forward to. Even when we aren’t really looking forward to it, we are. Otherwise why give a damn? It’s something that every week binds us all together. Regardless of our politics, our religion - or lack thereof, our gender, our marital status, our financial situation, we are at least united in one purpose, one common goal. We all want the same group of young men in an Everton kit to beat the other team. When they do we share the same joy (or relief). When they don’t, we share that feeling too. There are times when it feels like this is the only place left where that can happen.

Personal
As we edge towards some sort of “normal” post-covid future, on a personal level, I’m grateful that it didn’t do any serious harm to me or anyone I’m close to. My wife on the other hand has lost quite a few friends in Brazil, and I just found out that the husband half of a couple we are friends with there just lost his Sister. You never take joy from the fact that it wasn’t your sibling or friend, or parent, but perspective is an awesome thing. If you have been affected, my heart goes out to you. I’ve survived the last year. In health, financially, and I’m still sane. It wasn’t easy. There were times when I wasn’t sure I could write that last sentence, to be honest - but I did. And if I don’t acknowledge - even focus - on that then it’s going to be a really long and unpleasant ride the rest of my life. That’s not how I roll though.

Summary:
We weren’t half bad this year. 69 points is usually good enough for 7th or so in the league which would have meant Europe, but we ended up in 10th. We take a deep breath, try to enjoy the summer, and in August we go again. We don’t have a choice. As one of my favorite authors wrote: “I had discovered after the...game that loyalty, at least in football terms, was not a moral choice like bravery or kindness; it was more like a wart or a hump, something you were stuck with.” ― Nick Hornby, Fever Pitch.

Supporting Everton is a little like being married in the middle ages. Divorce isn’t an option. Only death can break that bond whether you like it or not.

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Jdawg

Good post, mate. It was a nice change from the doom and gloom.

I especially liked the personal bit.

Note: It was 59 points we finished on, not 69. 69 is a great number, though.

Some context to the "horrible" finish of 10th.

Outfield players that played the most minutes for the teams finishing ahead of Everton

Citeh: Dias, Rodri, Sterling, Cancelo, Silva, Jesus, Gundogan, De Bruyne, Mahrez
United: Bruno, AWB, Slabhead, Rashford, Shaw, Lindelof, Fred, McTominay, Pogba
Them: Robertson, Salah, Arnold, Wijnaldum, Firminho, Mane, Fabinho, Thiago, Henderson
Chelsea: Mount, Werner, James, Chilwell, Azpi, Kante, Zouma, Jorginho, Silva
Leicester: Tielemans, Vardy, Evans, Castagne, Fofana, Ndidi, Maddison, Justin, Barnes
West Ham: Soucek, Cresswell, Coufal, Rice, Fornals, Bowen, Ogbonna, Antonio, Dawson
Spurs: Hojbjerg, Son, Kane, Dier, Reguilon, Alderwhatever, Ndombele, Aurier, Sissoko
Arsenal: Saka, Holding, Xhaka, Aubamayang, Tierney, Bellerin, Gabriel, Lacazette, Ceballos
Leeds: Dallas, Ayling, Bamford, Harrison, Alioski, Phillips, Klich, Raphina

And now Everton: Keane, DCL, Richarlison, Godfrey, Digne, Doucoure, Holgate, Sigurdsson, Allan

Top to bottom, how many of 1-9 do you think would trade with Everton?

Some context to the "horrible" finish of 10th.

Outfield players that played the most minutes for the teams finishing ahead of Everton

Citeh: Dias, Rodri, Sterling, Cancelo, Silva, Jesus, Gundogan, De Bruyne, Mahrez
United: Bruno, AWB, Slabhead, Rashford, Shaw, Lindelof, Fred, McTominay, Pogba
Them: Robertson, Salah, Arnold, Wijnaldum, Firminho, Mane, Fabinho, Thiago, Henderson
Chelsea: Mount, Werner, James, Chilwell, Azpi, Kante, Zouma, Jorginho, Silva
Leicester: Tielemans, Vardy, Evans, Castagne, Fofana, Ndidi, Maddison, Justin, Barnes
West Ham: Soucek, Cresswell, Coufal, Rice, Fornals, Bowen, Ogbonna, Antonio, Dawson
Spurs: Hojbjerg, Son, Kane, Dier, Reguilon, Alderwhatever, Ndombele, Aurier, Sissoko
Arsenal: Saka, Holding, Xhaka, Aubamayang, Tierney, Bellerin, Gabriel, Lacazette, Ceballos
Leeds: Dallas, Ayling, Bamford, Harrison, Alioski, Phillips, Klich, Raphina

And now Everton: Keane, DCL, Richarlison, Godfrey, Digne, Doucoure, Holgate, Sigurdsson, Allan

Top to bottom, how many of 1-9 do you think would trade with Everton?

Honestly think it's just Digne that would be wanted by more than 1 of those clubs.

I'll be spending more time on this thread over the off-season.

I'd like to add witnessing the special James moments across the year. Most talented player I have seen as an Evertonian.

We are going ok, this same playing group has seen off multiple managers. Give Carlo time to pull out the weeds of the group, and we will improve.

Honestly think it's just Digne that would be wanted by more than 1 of those clubs.
Digne is magic. I was thinking wholesale which of those above us would exchange most played outfielders. Everton's makeshift midfield combo is big yikes and the "wingers" were awful out of that group. I truthfully can't imagine any of them would, not even Leeds. Their attack is potent and fun to watch.

1621939158818.png

A more serious response to the points you raised.

Spirit of the Blues
More fun like this please. I know it's not going to make a good successful season on the park, but the feel good around the club at the start of the season was brilliant. Those first few games were exhilarating and a joy to behold - we need to unlock that again, more often and more regularly. But for a few weeks there we were magnificent and I wouldn't have swapped being an Evertonian for any other club's performances on or off the field.

DCL Proved Me Right
I still maintain DCL is a few years away from coming good and still needs time to mature physically and improve his all round game. We saw a glimpse of his potential this season, and it could be a very high level that he could achieve. I (and I am sure that most of us) would love for him to prove me right, and Everton to be able to provide the service needed.

Voldemort is Dead
It’s over. It sure is. It sure is. I think that we can beat any top team now (City excepted) if we go in with the first team all fit and in form. Ironically now I am more worried about getting up for the 'lesser' teams.

We Completed the Season
Well pointed out. This season was relatively normal to the asterisk season. Hopefully we are over the worst of the pandemic and we can go on to better and greater things now.

Also good to hear that you came out of the pandemic relatively unscathed and appreciative of your situation. We all should take heed of this attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.