The Forgotten Champions 1986/1987 Everton's Last Title

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DVD Howard’s way had next to no mention of that league title win.
The superb Nottingham Forest film of the great Brian Clough side, I Believe in Miracles, barely mentions their second European Cup win, either. It's simply that the main story - the rise from rags to riches - has been told by then and everything else is simply gravy.

I notice from this thread, with some surprise, that many fans here never really saw the 80s side as they were either too young or not even born. That really hits me. I'm 49 and the 80s side is really why I can sustain my fandom as an Evertonian. I started to follow Everton in 1980 when we were very poor. As a teenager, I had the privilege of supporting the greatest team in Europe. It keeps me going. I can't imagine what it is like to not know success. It allows me to feel that Everton are one of the biggest clubs in the land, but if I had missed the 80s I would say we were an inferior club to Leicester City. To me, Leicester, admirable as they are, are about the size of Norwich City or Crystal Palace. That's certainly what history says...

That said, back in 2006 when ESPN Classic started broadcasting on Sky, I had the foresight to record pretty much every Everton match that they showed from the mid-80s period. Their "Dead Good Match" series - reruns of Match of the Day - focused on 1984/85 and showed numerous Everton games from that campaign. I treasure those DVDs as sacred arteacts - evidence that we were a truly great club once upon a time.

One final aside: there was very little shown from 1986/87 - not because we were forgotten, but because there was very little televised football in that season due to the lack of a TV highlights deal. Match of the Day transmogrified into a live show and there were only a handful of live games shown. We featured three times on the BBC. If we are forgotten, it's because the highlights shows didn't exist as TV football changed in an era when football was a second-class sport.

The superb Nottingham Forest film of the great Brian Clough side, I Believe in Miracles, barely mentions their second European Cup win, either. It's simply that the main story - the rise from rags to riches - has been told by then and everything else is simply gravy.

I notice from this thread, with some surprise, that many fans here never really saw the 80s side as they were either too young or not even born. That really hits me. I'm 49 and the 80s side is really why I can sustain my fandom as an Evertonian. I started to follow Everton in 1980 when we were very poor. As a teenager, I had the privilege of supporting the greatest team in Europe. It keeps me going. I can't imagine what it is like to not know success. It allows me to feel that Everton are one of the biggest clubs in the land, but if I had missed the 80s I would say we were an inferior club to Leicester City. To me, Leicester, admirable as they are, are about the size of Norwich City or Crystal Palace. That's certainly what history says...

That said, back in 2006 when ESPN Classic started broadcasting on Sky, I had the foresight to record pretty much every Everton match that they showed from the mid-80s period. Their "Dead Good Match" series - reruns of Match of the Day - focused on 1984/85 and showed numerous Everton games from that campaign. I treasure those DVDs as sacred arteacts - evidence that we were a truly great club once upon a time.

One final aside: there was very little shown from 1986/87 - not because we were forgotten, but because there was very little televised football in that season due to the lack of a TV highlights deal. Match of the Day transmogrified into a live show and there were only a handful of live games shown. We featured three times on the BBC. If we are forgotten, it's because the highlights shows didn't exist as TV football changed in an era when football was a second-class sport.

Good post. I have most of the 86/87 highlights on VHS. We didn't do so well live away at Watford, West Ham, Wimbledon (cup). My first live derby at Goodision 0-0 and v Man Utd my first game when we were live on tv sadly still remember the poor mascot who died the next day. Leukemia.

We released every home game on vhs from that season though so most games can be viewed and many aways were covered on news clips.I even found our 5-1 win at Newport in league Cup from that season on YouTube.

….Van den Hauwe playing a key role filling in as CB is my memory, what a class act he was.
As an unbiased Derby fan, Trevor Steven was the pick of the players of that era. His away performances at the old baseball ground were incredible as a roaming midfielder. All Everton's attacking moves seemed to start with him. As he went onto 7 consecutive league championships in Europe and Scotland after he left Everton don't think I was wrong in my assessment. He stood out as the guy always in possession and not hiding in tricky away fixtures.

As an unbiased Derby fan, Trevor Steven was the pick of the players of that era. His away performances at the old baseball ground were incredible as a roaming midfielder. All Everton's attacking moves seemed to start with him. As he went onto 7 consecutive league championships in Europe and Scotland after he left Everton don't think I was wrong in my assessment. He stood out as the guy always in possession and not hiding in tricky away fixtures.
But Derby only came up in 87/88 and by then our best side was starting to decline and Arsenal and Liverpool were the dominant 2.
Between 83/87 you could pick 8 or 9 everton players who shone every week,including Steven, Sheedy,Sharpe,Reid, Gray, Southall etc.

But Derby only came up in 87/88 and by then our best side was starting to decline and Arsenal and Liverpool were the dominant 2.
Between 83/87 you could pick 8 or 9 everton players who shone every week,including Steven, Sheedy,Sharpe,Reid, Gray, Southall etc.
You are absolutely correct, other than television I only saw the great team in decline. Steven may have stood out because he was peaking between the ages of 24 and 26. Not sure why Everton would have let him go in 1989.

Got a signed ball from the 86/87 title winning squad. No idea of worth but the 84/85 would be worth much more.
Great squad effort 86/87 due to injuries and in some ways was a better achievement due to this. Great days and lucky to witness!!

Status
Not open for further replies.