The Forgotten Champions 1986/1987 Everton's Last Title

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet those of you lucky enough to have been witness the '87 league win, can't of envisioned it would have been our last.

Call me pessimistic, but football looks about ready to eat itself. If we ever win the league again, I think whichever guise either us or the league will be in, will make it the 1st, rather than 10th title.

Just a shame all I have is 95. Moyes's era could easily of been a League Cup here, an FA Cup there. Even an Europa. We'd of beaten St Petersberg in that final. We already had in the group stage (twice if my memory serves me right).

I hate the closed shop football has become
It was an honour to watch those teams 84-85 was magical.

…Stevens & Van den Hauwe were two full backs with Rolls Royce engines. Having that physicality in your back four is such a bonus. I know it was a long time ago, but that team/squad is still a decent blueprint for any manager/DoF.
Were they really better than Trent though?

of course they were 'kin miles better than that biff

I bet those of you lucky enough to have been witness the '87 league win, can't of envisioned it would have been our last.

Call me pessimistic, but football looks about ready to eat itself. If we ever win the league again, I think whichever guise either us or the league will be in, will make it the 1st, rather than 10th title.

Just a shame all I have is 95. Moyes's era could easily of been a League Cup here, an FA Cup there. Even an Europa. We'd of beaten St Petersberg in that final. We already had in the group stage (twice if my memory serves me right).

I hate the closed shop football has become

Lucky you,

My highlight is the 09 FA cup final

29th November Man City away 3-1. 6th December Norwich home 4-0. 20th December Wimbledon home 3-0. 26th December Newcastle away 4-0. 28th December Leicester Home 5-1. 1st January Aston Villa home 3-0. For about an entire month that team was in devastating form. The only anomaly was a 1-0 away defeat to Luton on the 13th of December.
I was at the game at the Wongadome on Boxing Day. It could easily have been 8-0. The Skunks fans are not well known for acknowledging a good away performance but they applauded us off the field that day. Trevor Steven was outstanding.

Alsn Harper with a 30 yard winner at Chelsea and Wayne Clarke a very underrated forward did a fine job for us clinical away to Arsenal and again Paul power came in and done a brilliant job for us quite a few underrated players in that squad but very very good players who won top level trophies. Lucky enough to see us lift the league against Luton .Thanks Howard what a mans man

Alsn Harper with a 30 yard winner at Chelsea and Wayne Clarke a very underrated forward did a fine job for us clinical away to Arsenal and again Paul power came in and done a brilliant job for us quite a few underrated players in that squad but very very good players who won top level trophies. Lucky enough to see us lift the league against Luton .Thanks Howard what a mans man
Still think a much unmentioned game turned the title in our favour, we'd had a sticky patch around February/March time and faced Charlton at Goodison,a pretty low attendance that day and our mood wasn't great when we fell behind,we equalised in the second half but I remember the mood in the ground was the title was slipping away,injury time saw one of the biggest flukes I have seen in our favour,a defender tried to clear at the edge of their box the ball hit the onrushing Gary Stevens on his knee and flew into the bottom corner,it was on again after that,think we went to either Chelsea or arsenal the week after and won there too!!

I was at the game at the Wongadome on Boxing Day. It could easily have been 8-0. The Skunks fans are not well known for acknowledging a good away performance but they applauded us off the field that day. Trevor Steven was outstanding.
I was 17 turning 18 that season,and although I'd been to the odd away game here and there in previous seasons,this was my first season regularly watching us away from home,usually travelling on the Barnes or Amberline coaches with my mates and I'll always remember their fans applauding us off the pitch,the fourth goal (Steven to Heath)is one of my favourite Everton goals of all time!

Always glad of books celebrating our history but I don't accept they're any more forgotten than any other title winning team of 30+ years.

I suppose in that time there's a number of things that make it forgotten the PL centres on the top something and the teams that win sadly we've not been one of them teams for the duration.

I think 100% it's overshadowed by 84/85. But a title win is a title. Was my 4th season of going the match but my first going to all the games at home I remember the time quite vividly. Still hear us singing "champions, champions, champions" v Luton .

Biggest mistake was Kendall going. Could have had a Venger type reign.

Status
Not open for further replies.