The Evertonian Guide to Bern

Status
Not open for further replies.

naughtyyoungboy

Player Valuation: £500k
Hey Lads

there are still many questions and i will try to answer them in this thread.

you are going to visit a nice and cozy little town called bern.

bern is the capital of switzerland and and has 140‘000 inhabitants (375‘000 with suburbs / 600‘000 metropolitan area) which makes the town the fourth biggest city in the country.

bern is famous for its well preserved historic old town in the city centre.
the old town is located on a peninsula, 40 metres above the river aare. over 6 km of arcades are a characteristic detail of the historic old town. the whole perimeter is labeled as a unseco world heritage since 1983.

altstadt-bern.jpg

the name bern comes from the first animal that was killed during a hunt in this area, which was a bear. you‘ll find all kinds of bears around the city, including the bear park, a park where 3 bears live by the river.

misc04a.jpg

how to ge there

as you allready know, bern has just a small airport. there are three big airports within 1,5 hours which makes it unnecessary to build another one at our doorstep. the local airport has just a few european destinations to offer (london southend for example). you will most likely arrive in geneva, basel or zurich.
zurich and geneva airports have a train station within the building with direct connections to bern several times an hour. from basel airport you have to take a bus to the train station in basel an then the train.
if you arrive in geneva i advise you to take a seat on the righthand side of the train. why? that‘s why

56Picture%20047_Sunset_over_St-Saphorin_MF.jpg

staying in bern

as you know there are just a few hotels that arrent fully booked. why not staying in a place nearby? for example biel/bienne, berns french speaking sister city, or fribourg or thun. all three cities are only 20 minutes away by train and have the same connections to the airports as bern.

eating and drinking in bern

switzerland is expensive as hell, yes. but there are some tricks to safe money.

1. buy your beer in a grocery store and drink it in the streets.
the 2 biggest retail chains are migros and coop. watch out! migros is not selling alcohol but they‘re good at food.

migros-und-coop-schaffen-es-unter-die-top-50-der-detailhandelskonzerne-archiv

2. make or buy sandwiches, buy kebab or pizza. that‘s the less expensive it gets.

3. avoid pubs.
i love pubs, but they give you far to little beer for far to much money.

where to meet

as i said, the old town is located on a peninsula. there is no way you can miss each other. the carnival area starts at kornhausplatz (kornhaus square), so i would say the best place for you to meet is the bärenplatz and waisenhausplatz. there are many bars and restaurants and the main station is nearby.

bildschirmfoto_2014-06-27_um_14.17.16-720.png

how to go to the wankdorf stadium

there are several ways to go out there.

1. take the tram number 9 in the direction wankdorf station or guisanplatz (stop is guisanplatz or wankdorf center).
2. bus number 20 to wyler
3. s-bahn (suburban train) to wankdorf (S1, S2, S3, S31, S4, S44)
4. take a walk. it‘s not that far.

your match ticket works as a public transport ticket before and after the game.

erste-fahrt-dosto-bls-143.jpg

why young boys?

why would you name a football team after some kids? because the team was founded by kids. well actually they were students, but they were young and they were boys and they liked to play a game which has its origin in england. added to this, the boys watched a game between the local football club fc bern and the old boys basel -> and they snitched the name.

the young boys have won 11 league titles (last time in 86) and 6 times the cup (last time in 87).
i have never won any title with the boys so far. we are known as the eternal runner-up.
this is also the reason why whining is so popular around bern.

our biggest rival in town is not another football club, it ist actually the local icehockey club scb.
the scb is a very big and successful sports club and because ice hockey is very popular in my area they have the biggest number of fans outside north america (17‘000 every game). it would be interesting for you guys to watch a game in the stadium just around the corner from ours, but unfortunately they won‘t play at home the date you are here.

BernArena.jpg

i hope this was helpful

ask whatever question you may have...

and don‘t forget to take a picture of you with the wankdorf sign at the train station.

panorama-muenster-alpen-1.jpg

bern3.jpg

http://www.bern.com/en/index.cfm

network_map_as_scree_0.spooler.download.jpg

Hey Lads

there are still many questions and i will try to answer them in this thread.

you are going to visit a nice and cozy little town called bern.

bern is the capital of switzerland and and has 140‘000 inhabitants (375‘000 with suburbs / 600‘000 metropolitan area) which makes the town the fourth biggest city in the country.

bern is famous for its well preserved historic old town in the city centre.
the old town is located on a peninsula, 40 metres above the river aare. over 6 km of arcades are a characteristic detail of the historic old town. the whole perimeter is labeled as a unseco world heritage since 1983.

altstadt-bern.jpg

the name bern comes from the first animal that was killed during a hunt in this area, which was a bear. you‘ll find all kinds of bears around the city, including the bear park, a park where 3 bears live by the river.

misc04a.jpg

how to ge there

as you allready know, bern has just a small airport. there are three big airports within 1,5 hours which makes it unnecessary to build another one at our doorstep. the local airport has just a few european destinations to offer (london southend for example). you will most likely arrive in geneva, basel or zurich.
zurich and geneva airports have a train station within the building with direct connections to bern several times an hour. from basel airport you have to take a bus to the train station in basel an then the train.
if you arrive in geneva i advise you to take a seat on the righthand side of the train. why? that‘s why

56Picture%20047_Sunset_over_St-Saphorin_MF.jpg

staying in bern

as you know there are just a few hotels that arrent fully booked. why not staying in a place nearby? for example biel/bienne, berns french speaking sister city, or fribourg or thun. all three cities are only 20 minutes away by train and have the same connections to the airports as bern.

eating and drinking in bern

switzerland is expensive as hell, yes. but there are some tricks to safe money.

1. buy your beer in a grocery store and drink it in the streets.
the 2 biggest retail chains are migros and coop. watch out! migros is not selling alcohol but they‘re good at food.

migros-und-coop-schaffen-es-unter-die-top-50-der-detailhandelskonzerne-archiv

2. make or buy sandwiches, buy kebab or pizza. that‘s the less expensive it gets.

3. avoid pubs.
i love pubs, but they give you far to little beer for far to much money.

where to meet

as i said, the old town is located on a peninsula. there is no way you can miss each other. the carnival area starts at kornhausplatz (kornhaus square), so i would say the best place for you to meet is the bärenplatz and waisenhausplatz. there are many bars and restaurants and the main station is nearby.

bildschirmfoto_2014-06-27_um_14.17.16-720.png

how to go to the wankdorf stadium

there are several ways to go out there.

1. take the tram number 9 in the direction wankdorf station or guisanplatz (stop is guisanplatz or wankdorf center).
2. bus number 20 to wyler
3. s-bahn (suburban train) to wankdorf (S1, S2, S3, S31, S4, S44)
4. take a walk. it‘s not that far.

your match ticket works as a public transport ticket before and after the game.

erste-fahrt-dosto-bls-143.jpg

why young boys?

why would you name a football team after some kids? because the team was founded by kids. well actually they were students, but they were young and they were boys and they liked to play a game which has its origin in england. added to this, the boys watched a game between the local football club fc bern and the old boys basel -> and they snitched the name.

the young boys have won 11 league titles (last time in 86) and 6 times the cup (last time in 87).
i have never won any title with the boys so far. we are known as the eternal runner-up.
this is also the reason why whining is so popular around bern.

our biggest rival in town is not another football club, it ist actually the local icehockey club scb.
the scb is a very big and successful sports club and because ice hockey is very popular in my area they have the biggest number of fans outside north america (17‘000 every game). it would be interesting for you guys to watch a game in the stadium just around the corner from ours, but unfortunately they won‘t play at home the date you are here.

BernArena.jpg

i hope this was helpful

ask whatever question you may have...

and don‘t forget to take a picture of you with the wankdorf sign at the train station.

panorama-muenster-alpen-1.jpg

bern3.jpg

http://www.bern.com/en/index.cfm

network_map_as_scree_0.spooler.download.jpg

Any minge?

Legend, thanks for all the info mate.

I am travelling to Basel airport, so you have answered how I thne get to the train station.

We are staying at the Ibis in Basel.

Just to clarify the above... it's not as bad for you guys in the UK as it is for anyone on the Euro but the Swiss central bank removed the cap on the franc and it went through the roof.

1 GBP will now get you 20% less than what it would've 2 days ago....

Just to clarify the above... it's not as bad for you guys in the UK as it is for anyone on the Euro but the Swiss central bank removed the cap on the franc and it went through the roof.

1 GBP will now get you 20% less than what it would've 2 days ago....

Feel slightly smug for getting £50 worth a week ago now.

Where are the best Kebabs?

in the suburbs of course :)

try the kapadokya (go past the clock tower down the kramgasse on the left side, a few steps after the cinema capitol is a small alley where you will get a very good kebab).
my girlfriend is from turkey and kapadokya is her favorite.

the alley is called schlüsselgässchen

in the suburbs of course :)

try the kapadokya (go past the clock tower down the kramgasse on the left side, a few steps after the cinema capitol is a small alley where you will get a very good kebab).
my girlfriend is from turkey and kapadokya is her favorite.

the alley is called schlüsselgässchen

Officially 50m from my hotel. That will do me!

Reactions: obc

Status
Not open for further replies.