The Everton "train wreckers".......

Status
Not open for further replies.

220px-Poster_of_the_movie_why.jpg

Why? (Czech: Proč?) is a 1987 Czechoslovak drama film directed by Karel Smyczek. It was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 1988 Cannes Film Festival.[1]

The film deals with the hooliganism in Czechoslovakia, particularly with the fans of football club Sparta from Prague, whose supporters were the pioneers of the football fan riots in Czechoslovakia, starting with hooligan actions already in the 1960s, like breaking the trains in which they travelled when they went on Sparta's away games. The film deals with one of such episodes.

Our support in the early 60s was certainly the subject of some media distaste. I've still got somewhere some old Charles Buchan Annuals with articles about the hostility of the Everton support. One was written by Kenneth Wolstenholme. Another was about a well known Arsenal supporter of the time who always wore a top to toe Arsenal design suit complete with top hat, rosettes etc. In the article he's asked is there any ground he doesn't wear the outfit to. He said the only place he'd never wear it was GP because the crowd is too hostile to away supporters.

The train wrecking was a regular thing. Remember that the specials and coaches were the main means of travel then.

Interestingly you can probably trace the start of the media love-in with the RS to this era. Because while we were repeatedly being attacked by the press (not just the fans but the club eg the infamous purple hearts allegations by the Sunday People) and were reluctant to talk to the media (we even banned the TV cameras for a spell) those lovable Reds were being fawned over for their pre-match singing of Beatles and other songs on the Kop.

I know someone who set a special on fire in two different places in Lime Street and couldn't understand why I was upset with him.

Yes we were the original football hooligans to wreck trains , and throw empty beer bottles on the pitches in the early 1960's
We had a tremendous away following - Some of the beer consumption was always behind it!

Our support in the early 60s was certainly the subject of some media distaste. I've still got somewhere some old Charles Buchan Annuals with articles about the hostility of the Everton support. One was written by Kenneth Wolstenholme. Another was about a well known Arsenal supporter of the time who always wore a top to toe Arsenal design suit complete with top hat, rosettes etc. In the article he's asked is there any ground he doesn't wear the outfit to. He said the only place he'd never wear it was GP because the crowd is too hostile to away supporters.

The train wrecking was a regular thing. Remember that the specials and coaches were the main means of travel then.

Interestingly you can probably trace the start of the media love-in with the RS to this era. Because while we were repeatedly being attacked by the press (not just the fans but the club eg the infamous purple hearts allegations by the Sunday People) and were reluctant to talk to the media (we even banned the TV cameras for a spell) those lovable Reds were being fawned over for their pre-match singing of Beatles and other songs on the Kop.
I think you are right about the RS love in.
Catterick hated dealing with the media (interesting that he let cameras into the 1966 final dressing room though) while Shankly loved it and they loved him. We got well turned over by them for the Carey sacking too so I think the mistrust was at the highest level too. The Tony Kay issue another factor maybe?

Obviously you cant judge beviour of 30-40 years ago by todays standards, but I would hope those days are well and truly gone.

i know mate,my old fella used to tell me there was a journo by the name of Henry rose back in the 1950's(he died in the Munich disaster I think)he used to get booed when he was spotted in the press box at go,so it was going on even then!

Status
Not open for further replies.