The England U20 World Cup Winning Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you get to a point where, if these lads haven’t broke in by 22, which most of that list our then the writing is on the wall.

Also we have another good group of very good young players and we are just holding them back by keeping all the others.

Why would that be the case though? Cant they be squad players?

Also i think 'the new batch' seem to be central defenders / strikers rather than any we have now blocking their path?

Lookman, Calvert-Lewin and Davies are all easily Premier League players. They've shown as much in the Premier League games they've played. Similar could be said for Kenny too.

Whether they're consistent or good enough for Everton long-term is a different matter.

Agreed, they would all get into the likes of Newcastle, Palace, Burnley etc etc. Its not time to throw them all on the scrap heap just yet!

Why would that be the case though? Cant they be squad players?

Also i think 'the new batch' seem to be central defenders / strikers rather than any we have now blocking their path?
Maybe but it’s like I read before, buy a new right back and send Kenny on loan, why would he go on loan again. Connolly who I like but lets be realistic he’s never had a sniff. I think Davies will stay as a squad player, but I think a lot maybe moved on.
We will see

Maybe but it’s like I read before, buy a new right back and send Kenny on loan, why would he go on loan again. Connolly who I like but lets be realistic he’s never had a sniff. I think Davies will stay as a squad player, but I think a lot maybe moved on.
We will see

The snag for us will be Coleman is now 30 years old and has had an up/down season. Behind him are both Kenny and Holgate and then its Astley and John.

That will be interesting to see if we upgrade or stick with Coleman and see if the kids usurp him.

As for the young players in the team i think theres only Richarlison and DCL. We need to add more top quality of the similar age around them.

Imagine Wan Bissaka coming in or Max Aarons. We could have a right sided pairing with Richarlison over 10 seasons.

Depends on which of coleman kenny holgate will be off.

The snag for us will be Coleman is now 30 years old and has had an up/down season. Behind him are both Kenny and Holgate and then its Astley and John.

That will be interesting to see if we upgrade or stick with Coleman and see if the kids usurp him.

As for the young players in the team i think theres only Richarlison and DCL. We need to add more top quality of the similar age around them.

Imagine Wan Bissaka coming in or Max Aarons. We could have a right sided pairing with Richarlison over 10 seasons.

Depends on which of coleman kenny holgate will be off.

...really good point. I imagine the club will buy an upgrade, I suppose the main question is when that will happen. Astley looks a CB, but might be faced with the same quandary as Holgate. Kyle John is a conventional RB and is clearly highly thought of. He could leapfrog a few, but much will depend on when a Coleman replacement comes in.

Lookman is the only one on that list with enough talent to bother getting excited over and even then you can’t get excited because he clearly doesn’t like being at Everton and will be off this summer.

...a month or so ago, lots on here we’re suggesting DCL should be on loan at a Championship club. It’s a bit of a lazy viewpoint to take.

The truth is, it’s very difficult to gauge the future capability of most youngsters. For example, I was thinking earlier about how avarege Kevin Ratcliffe was when he came into the side as a LB.

At international level, there’s clearly a strategy to keep that group of players together. Kenny, Dowell and Lookman get rare top flight game time but still play at international level. It seems to be working, especially with the introduction of young, inexperienced players at full international. I wouldn’t in the least bit surprised if DCL is in a full England squad in the very near future.
Well said @Eggs, my tgoughts as well. One of the problems for our young players is, a lot of people think they should be as good as Rooney when he came through. In a way we were spoilt. Bringing 3 or 4 players through together can pay dividends. As you said about Kev Ratcliffe, he was a bit ropey when he first came into the side, as were Sharpy, Gary Stevens and Richardson, all young but went on to be top players.

The following players from Everton formed a core part of that squad:
Jonjoe Kenny
Callum Connolly
Kieran Dowell
Dominic Calvert Lewin
Ademola Lookman

Add in Tom Davies and if most of them can take the next step in the next 12-18 months that could be a hell of a young team. The Everton Players are all developing at similar rates to the other players who made up that squad with DCL having more Premiership minutes than any other player who was in that World Cup winning team.

I suspect that Davies and DCL will have productive PL careers...maybe not at the top of the table, but productive careers. Lookman is a bit of an enigma, seems to lack the mentality. Likely be the "flash" player at a mid-lower tier PL club or in Europe (like Adama Traore or Gerry Deulofeu). Mentality rarely seems to change soon enough. Football is littered with talent who lacked the application to reach their best. JJK strikes me as the type of player who will be a bit of a journeyman playing for clubs that are going in between the Championship and PL. Dowell and Connolly I really haven't seen enough to form an opinion, but Dowell in particular seems to have stalled in his development. All speculation of course....

About par for the course for a group of players a UXX level. Usually one or two from a team will go on to be regular full internationals.

Love the positivity, but I also am a lot more of a realist to be honest.

Praying after this run that DCL adds goals to his game. We’ve seen him improve every other aspect and if he does tha, we’ve got a rock to start the foundations of something good.

Lookman, well probably the most frustrating one of the lot as he oozes talent, it just isn’t working for him here. Add Bernard and Richarlison to the mix, and him not regularly even featuring on the bench and youbhave to ask if his time here is nearly done?

Dowell, not going to make it at Everton. He’s been given many a lifeline at championship clubs and in cups for us, he’s jot stepped up. He’ll be a very solid championship player with potential to make it to a lower prem.

Kenny, I still don’t rate him. He’s definitwly worth keeping in the books, but comes off as rash and. Unnecessary a fair few times and I think he genuinely needs a run st a lower prem or Champ team for a season to see if he can develop with first team football on a regular basis.

Davies, shows glimmers of good stuff, but also shows more of confusion to his role. Is he an attacking minded? Defensive minded? Utility players are always useful and we know he can come in and do a more than capable job.

I’d be more interested in Joe Williams and if someone comes sniffing round Pickford maybe Virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.