The Echo, L'Equipe and Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

atrottel

Player Valuation: £35m
So two days ago L'Équipe, one of the world's most prestigious sporting magazines, published an article about Everton's finances and Watched_Toffee.

The article is here:
http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actu...les-emprunts-obscurs-des-clubs-anglais/612034

It is partly based on another recent article from an ex L'Équipe journalist which can be found here:
http://coulissesfootbusiness.blogspot.fr/2015/11/lafascinante-enquete-vibrac-evertonfc.html

Even if none of David Prentice, Greg O'Keefe and Phil Kirkbride can speak any French at all, which I doubt, Google has a handy translate tool which will give you the gist of what the article is about. Here it is, if you are lurking around here, Greg, for any material that you can find to fill the space between the ads:
https://translate.google.com/
You just pop one of the addresses above into the box on the left and hit English as the language you want to translate to.

So lads, since it's obvious you hang out here and on social media to pick up 'stories' (see chico's 'wool' map and O'Keefe's 'homage' to Executioners' Bong) how about mentioning it in your daily press round-up or in your live blog, which would seem to be the minimum that you could do.

Strangely enough, your staff who cover Liverpool seem to have no problem in picking up L'Equipe stories, which you can see if you put the following query into Google: site:www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/ equipe
Even more bizarrely, David Prentice seemed to have had little hesitation quoting L'Équipe and Everton in the same story last month:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...s/how-everton-won-league-performance-10426058

Don't know about anyone else here, but badly Photoshopped images of other Echo journalists and hand-picked Youtube music picks aren't as sidesplittingly hilarious as they once might have been in the Echo canteen... even though I appreciate that live blogs and 'five things we learned' articles aren't what Echo sports reporters might have imagined journalism was about before their NCTJ Proficiency Test.

So two days ago L'Équipe, one of the world's most prestigious sporting magazines, published an article about Everton's finances and Watched_Toffee.

The article is here:
http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actu...les-emprunts-obscurs-des-clubs-anglais/612034

It is partly based on another recent article from an ex L'Équipe journalist which can be found here:
http://coulissesfootbusiness.blogspot.fr/2015/11/lafascinante-enquete-vibrac-evertonfc.html

Even if none of David Prentice, Greg O'Keefe and Phil Kirkbride can speak any French at all, which I doubt, Google has a handy translate tool which will give you the gist of what the article is about. Here it is, if you are lurking around here, Greg, for any material that you can find to fill the space between the ads:
https://translate.google.com/
You just pop one of the addresses above into the box on the left and hit English as the language you want to translate to.

So lads, since it's obvious you hang out here and on social media to pick up 'stories' (see chico's 'wool' map and O'Keefe's 'homage' to Executioners' Bong) how about mentioning it in your daily press round-up or in your live blog, which would seem to be the minimum that you could do.

Strangely enough, your staff who cover Liverpool seem to have no problem in picking up L'Equipe stories, which you can see if you put the following query into Google: site:www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/ equipe
Even more bizarrely, David Prentice seemed to have had little hesitation quoting L'Équipe and Everton in the same story last month:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...s/how-everton-won-league-performance-10426058

Don't know about anyone else here, but badly Photoshopped images of other Echo journalists and hand-picked Youtube music picks aren't as sidesplittingly hilarious as they once might have been in the Echo canteen... even though I appreciate that live blogs and 'five things we learned' articles aren't what Echo sports reporters might have imagined journalism was about before their NCTJ Proficiency Test.

Ian Ross confirmed what we all knew about the Echo a couple of years back in those leaked emails. They're bought and paid for hacks who write exactly what they're told to write by the club and no more. As you say, different set of dynamics with Liverpool though. Their goal in essence, therefore, is to maintain the balance of power in this city, whereby the major commercial driver, LFC, are never challenged by a local rival.

That's why they're known as the red Echo, I suppose.

"The loans are granted at rates of up to 10% and the quality of collateral (the British TV rights!) Leaves no doubt about the reimbursement. Overall an excellent return on investment to zero risk". That is why we haven't been sold. Kenwright is the bag man for Green and Earl and Everton are a nice little earner for them. Why should they sell when they can earn millions from the high interest rate they charge on their loans.

In a way, I can understand the 'Everton' journos like O'Keefe, Kirkbride & Prentice not getting involved with off-field matters as it would interfere with their ability to get the access they need.

There is no reason whatsoever why the Echo could not get another reporter to deal with things like this, maybe the business editor. Isn't "getting under the skin" of the club what #TellAli promised he would deliver?

OKeefe and co are big phoneys.

Blagging a career calling themselves journalists whilst turning a blind eye to the decline of this great local institution. Shame on them.

Being told what to write.

Pity they manage to find a voice when the Reds need it.

Don't buy the Echo. More legitimate news in the Beano.

In a way, I can understand the 'Everton' journos like O'Keefe, Kirkbride & Prentice not getting involved with off-field matters as it would interfere with their ability to get the access they need.

There is no reason whatsoever why the Echo could not get another reporter to deal with things like this, maybe the business editor. Isn't "getting under the skin" of the club what #TellAli promised he would deliver?
In times gone by I would have agreed with you. However these days there is very little that appears in the paper that could not have been written by anyone - I could pretty much fill 75% of the Everton coverage and I'm in a different country. There is rarely an exclusive interview or breaking news that they have found out. It is either the game reports, which are not just reports any more but the following:
Match Buildup Live Blog (based on repeating stories already published and anything else you can find on the net)
Is the Game on TV? (attempting to attract hits from people searching for streams)
Everton Match Live Tweets Blog
Everton Match Report
Social Media Reaction to Everton Performance (use other people's content)
Our Ratings for Everton Players
Your Ratings for Everton Players (use other people's content)
What Other Papers Said About The Everton Performance (use other people's content)
Five Things We Learned From The Everton Performance
Transcripts of any post-match interview on EvertonTV or Sky/BT written up as if the Echo had the interview (use other people's content)

It is all about filling the space with cheap (low-effort low-skill) content - real journalism has been replaced, for the most part, by a shoddy imitation. 'Scripted journalism' if you like in the same way that reality TV is 'scripted documentary'.

Hard hitting reporting by the Echo, this is the best example of it by Dave Prentice.

It's September 2011, another transfer window has passed without Everton making a significant signing. But, this time we sold Arteta last minute. Plus Yak and Beckford, not to appease the banks they said ( Which Moyes admitted was a lie )

Prentice stuck it to the hierarchy at Everton with this stinging attack on the level of investment made into the team.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/david-prentice-visits-dixie-dean-3365210

Total joke of a publication.

And we had the new editor telling us a few months ago how they'd heard our voice and things were going to change.

Don't buy it and don't click on the links.

In times gone by I would have agreed with you. However these days there is very little that appears in the paper that could not have been written by anyone - I could pretty much fill 75% of the Everton coverage and I'm in a different country. There is rarely an exclusive interview or breaking news that they have found out. It is either the game reports, which are not just reports any more but the following:
Match Buildup Live Blog (based on repeating stories already published and anything else you can find on the net)
Is the Game on TV? (attempting to attract hits from people searching for streams)
Everton Match Live Tweets Blog
Everton Match Report
Social Media Reaction to Everton Performance (use other people's content)
Our Ratings for Everton Players
Your Ratings for Everton Players (use other people's content)
What Other Papers Said About The Everton Performance (use other people's content)
Five Things We Learned From The Everton Performance
Transcripts of any post-match interview on EvertonTV or Sky/BT written up as if the Echo had the interview (use other people's content)

It is all about filling the space with cheap (low-effort low-skill) content - real journalism has been replaced, for the most part, by a shoddy imitation. 'Scripted journalism' if you like in the same way that reality TV is 'scripted documentary'.

I always liken Everton board behaviour to governments, right down to how the press self-censor themselves to continue to get access. Mainstream journalism isn't just dead in the sports pages!

Status
Not open for further replies.